MS250 trouble shooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
Went to get a load of wood and saw would not start. Got it to run for 10 seconds with a big puff of white smoke. Plug was wet. Gas should be good same tank i already burnt the rest previously. where to start?

Sounds like the needle could be sticking open causing it to put extra gas to it.

How long since it was running last?

Gas really goes to crap pretty fast these days it seems. This past weekend I drained the gas out of my JD ride-on tank. I took a peek inside the white plastic tank and it was green in there. Didn't see green the last time I had the cap of a month or so ago. Then I had the ATV out scrounging some wood, for the first time in 3-4 weeks. It wouldn't idle - had to turn the idle screw way up to keep it from quitting. So I added some Stabilizer and more gas, with a touch of Seafoam. By the end if the weekend I had to turn the idle back down to where it was.

Stabilizer is become a must-do for me every time I go get a jug of gas. I started out doing that in the spring, then kinda forgot about it. Will try hard to not forget again.

Reactions: SKIN052
maple1 got it i think. Tried to start the next day thinking it was just flooded. No go. Drained the tank, filled back up with same gas mind you after a good shake of the can. Started right up. Stabilizer it is then. I mix 5Lt at a time for ease of mixing. Takes me a while to go through that much. Thanks.

Reactions: Danno77
I have also had problems with my ms250. I found that my spark plug needs to be replaced every 6 months or so. Also, I stay away from stabilizer and use ethanol free. However, the gas seems to go bad in 4 months or so. I replaced the plug (again), drained the gas and added fresh fuel, and I opened it up (set the choke to open, squeezed the trigger, pulled the starter rope, and started it like that). No problems. If you flood the engine, that trick also gets it started. You may want to give it a try. The 250's are a little finicky IMO.

Reactions: SKIN052
I really like my ms250 - but there is the very odd time that it drives me a little nuts not wanting to start hot. I will cut away for a while, have to stop to move some stuff for something so shut it off, and 2-3 minutes later it won't start no matter how much I pull & what I do with the choke & throttle. Seems like it floods itself, but cranking with it all opened up usually doesn't work either - so don't know if it's that or it vapour locks somehow. It doesn't happen very often at all but it sure bugs me when it does. Fires right up after it cools right off. So now I usually just leave it idling, or grab another saw if it happens. Never put any effort into trying to troubleshoot it. Maybe I should check the plug out - don't think I've ever replaced it.

BTW on stabilizer - most mixing oils have it in there already. I use the orange bottle Stihl stuff and usually don't have any issues with my 2 stroke stuff gumming up. But when it does, that Seafoam stuff is like magic. Cleaned my old weedwhacker right up after spending too many summers up high on a shelf in a hot shed, after running one tank of gas through it with the magic juice added. It cleaned my splitter with a GC 160 on it up after a tank through this summer too after it started spitting & sputtering after sitting a couple months.

I really like my ms250 - but there is the very odd time that it drives me a little nuts not wanting to start hot. I will cut away for a while, have to stop to move some stuff for something so shut it off, and 2-3 minutes later it won't start no matter how much I pull & what I do with the choke & throttle. Seems like it floods itself, but cranking with it all opened up usually doesn't work either - so don't know if it's that or it vapour locks somehow. It doesn't happen very often at all but it sure bugs me when it does. Fires right up after it cools right off. So now I usually just leave it idling, or grab another saw if it happens. Never put any effort into trying to troubleshoot it. Maybe I should check the plug out - don't think I've ever replaced it.

BTW on stabilizer - most mixing oils have it in there already. I use the orange bottle Stihl stuff and usually don't have any issues with my 2 stroke stuff gumming up. But when it does, that Seafoam stuff is like magic. Cleaned my old weedwhacker right up after spending too many summers up high on a shelf in a hot shed, after running one tank of gas through it with the magic juice added. It cleaned my splitter with a GC 160 on it up after a tank through this summer too after it started spitting & sputtering after sitting a couple months.
When you try starting it, did you try setting the choke and then turn the choke off without touching the trigger (half choke) then try it?

My MS250 can be hard to start at times as well, but I've been very happen with it and have cut up a bunch of firewood with it.

When you try starting it, did you try setting the choke and then turn the choke off without touching the trigger (half choke) then try it?
Not sure. I think. Usually worked my way down the settings, cranking a bunch between each. Choke on was last try. Then holding trigger wide open with choke off if i had any oomph left in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.