Mt Vernon AE Outside Air Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbducks

Oct 21, 2008
Central Iowa
I'm looking for opinions of anyone that has an outside air kit for their Mt. Vernon AE stove. I'm thinking of putting one in but am not sure how it would look and if it is worth it.

Thanks for any info in advance.

cbducks said:
I'm looking for opinions of anyone that has an outside air kit for their Mt. Vernon AE stove. I'm thinking of putting one in but am not sure how it would look and if it is worth it.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Can't comment on the "looks", as I don't know your set-up, but adding an OAK is ALWAYS a good idea, IMO. Why use air that you already paid to be heated to run the stove, and then send it outside?

Plus not using an OAK makes the house a negative pressure area, and it sucks in cold outside air through whatever little cracks that might be there to make up for that, lowering the temp of the air you just got done paying to heat.

And if you have a pretty recently built, tight house, you REALLY need an OAK.

As far as looks go , it's behind the stove, need another hole in the wall. Same setup as my Classic Bay 1200, adapter, hose, outside hood, $130, made my own.

heres mine with selkirk direct temp.

Attachments

• 2008_1011Image0007.JPG
    2008_1011Image0007.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 954
I don't know how it is on the AE but on my older Mt. Vernon, the OAK looks kinda pointless. Where the OAK hooks into the stove, that entire plenum or air box with the fans is not airtight. There are gaping seams all the way around it. So if there are seams all around the intake then it will still be taking in air from the room not to mention leaking cold air into the room while the stove isn't running. I have all of the materials to build my own OAK but I've been holding off putting another hole in my wall for this reason.

no pane said:
heres mine with selkirk direct temp.

That looks like a nice/clean setup. Where did you find the kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.