• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Burny McBurnisson

Jan 1, 2019
Teesside, England
Hi

I’m going out of my mind reading post after post after post on various blogs and not seeming to find a solution to my problem - maybe I’m not searching for the right thing or maybe I’m just unlucky. Who knows. But hope someone here can help me.

I’m relatively new to the stove world having had my first one installed approximately a year ago (it’s an Alberg 7).

I have no issues whatsoever burning wood and can get the temperature into the green (300-500F (optimum temperature according to my stove thermometer)). But, despite people telling me coal burns hotter I just can’t seem to prove it.

No matter how many times I’ve tried, coal wont burn higher than 300F (FYI the coal I’m using is Homefire Ecoal50 a “long lasting smokeless fuel which burns up to 39% hotter” and granted it’s the only coal I’ve tried but given it’s supposed to be ‘hotter’ I would still expect it to send my temp gauge into the optimum burn (300-500F as mentioned above).

As far as I’m aware I am doing everything correct. I have followed the stove instructions on lighting solid fuel and once the fires taken I close the top vent and only use the lower one. I make sure there’s no ashes on the griddle etc. But nothing takes the heat over 300F. It burns away as happy as Larry, just not hot enough for optimum burn.

Should I try -
- leaving the stove burn longer before closing the top vent? If so how long? Because I’ve tried a 20-30 minutes on one test and close to an hour on another test.
- I am closing the secondary combustion option because I’m told his only applies to reigniting the gasses in wood. Was I fed a fib?
- a different coal?

I’m concerned that, from what I’ve read, burning lower than 300F is creosote territory and I would like to avoid those problems.

I’m going out of my mind here and even missed the full Blu-ray of Return if te King while searching posts - partner was NOT impressed!

Help me, please.

Don't think I will be much help but do burn anthracite coal in a stoker fed stove. Coal need lots of air via a fan coming in below the coal to burn correctly. Than fan will need to blow 24/7 or very near that much. Not sure if that is how yours is set up. But like Bob said go to the coal forum. Those guys are in the heart of anthracite coal country and many coal stoves were designed and built in and around eastern PA.

Reactions: Burny McBurnisson