Hi everyone. I am looking to get a little information and advice on a situation we have. We bought the house were living in a couple years ago. The house is about 10 years old. It has a wood burning fireplace. We noticed that there was a smell coming from the fireplace when spring/summer hit. It is a musty like smell. We do not use the fireplace at all and have no interest in using it really( I have Loads of allergies and allergic to many things so we prefer not to burn wood). My question is, this smell usually goes away in the cold winter months which is why we probably did not smell it when we first moved in( we moved into the house at the end of October). My guess is it is some kind of mold or moisture issue?? I am horribly allergic to mold of all kinds and get Very nasty reactions so we pretty much sealed the front of the fireplace with a plastic sheet so the smell does not get through as much( all though we still can get hints of the smell at times). I thought about contacting a chimney sweep company, but the issue is, I cannot have them clean the chimney like they normally would because stuff will get into my house and like I Said, I am horribly reactive to mold and mold toxins and do not want that stuff getting into the house in the event that this is a mold issue. I guess my question is, Who would I call in order to diagnose the problem? Also, if there is mold in the chimney/fireplace up high, how do they fix this? I am guessing they would have to use a safe remediation protocol? Not sure. Has anyone else had issues with having a musty like smell coming from their fireplace??? Would this indicate a mold issue?