my englander 30 hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notshubby

Mar 26, 2015
constantia ny
I bought a 30 from lowes and decided to build a hearth instead of buying a prefabbed pad. so I started out cutting back old carpet and pouring self leveling concrete pad to build off of. then did a frame out of steel studs 1 inch fibrefrax blanket (its dirty cause I work in a foundry where it often gets used once to cure refractory in a box or bowl and thrown out. so it was free to me). then some flashing to encapsulate it. 2 layers of durrock and tile.

Attachments

• 100_0542.JPG
    100_0542.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 486
  • 100_0543.JPG
    100_0543.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 520
  • 100_0546.JPG
    100_0546.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 503
  • 100_0553.JPG
    100_0553.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 493
  • 100_0554.JPG
    100_0554.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 484
I wanted the air to flow through my pad and then up into the wall to cre ate a convection loop to keep air moving through the pad as well as the back wall. so I popped 3 holes in the front then holes in the rear to enter at bottom of back wall. some studs on back wall standing out on edges of wall and laying flat in the center. an inch of some more of that free ceramic wool insulation with chickenwire to prevent slumping and allow good anchoring with 1 1/2 inch staples.

Attachments

• 100_0557.JPG
    100_0557.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 465
  • 100_0563.JPG
    100_0563.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 458
  • 100_0564.JPG
    100_0564.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
24 guage sheet metal. they only had it in 16inch pieces at my local hardware store. so I overlapped 1/4 inch then drove 1/2 inch pan head tek screws in. then taped off seams with aluminium tape. all behind the air holes. i used aluminium flashing on the top outside corners as they were out far enough from the connector I could have left that area bare.

Attachments

• 100_0567.JPG
    100_0567.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 422
  • 100_0570.JPG
    100_0570.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 420
2 small side walls so I don't feel like my chestnuts are roasting on an open fire when im on the couch 5 feet away. I didn't want to much heat building up in the walls so I installed 3 small vents (small expanded steel) in the bottom and a vent up top to allow air circulation.

Attachments

• 100_0575.JPG
    100_0575.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 423
  • 100_0579.JPG
    100_0579.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 418
offset in pipe to prevent having to change any floor joist framing. single wall connector with heat shield. kinda overkill since the back wall is 11 inches to combustable sheetrock with nfpa 66% clearance reduction.

Attachments

• 101_0596.JPG
    101_0596.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 431
  • 101_0595.JPG
    101_0595.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 421
I wanted the air to flow through my pad and then up into the wall to cre ate a convection loop to keep air moving through the pad as well as the back wall. .
Im not sure what your purpose is for this, there is no need to keep the pad cool as it wont get hot or even warm. The bottom of my 30 stays cold as well as the floor around it.

yeah way overkill since it only requires 1.5 r and the k wool is good for 3.3 per inch.

truthfully my first woodstove so I wasn't sure how hot the pad would get either.

and I say finished but I mean finished for the time being as sometime in the future I will be fabricating a wrought iron rail /gate around the front opening to keep the little ones from getting to close.

Last edited by a moderator:
and I say finished but I mean finished for the time being as sometime in the future I will be fabricating a wrought iron rail /gate around the front opening to keep the little ones from getting to close.
They will only touch it once.;)

Reactions: Dix
Looks good. A little overkill but it's safe. You'll love that 30-NC.

I like the way that vented hearth gives you the air gap you needed behind the stove without it looking suspended in the air. Nice job.

Absolutely gorgeous. Great job.

Looks nice. Lots of work there. You can enjoy it all next winter.

Looks great! Better than anything I could do.
Awesome job!

Agreed, great job and the stove looks like it is ready to keep everyone warm. Good luck with her.

ohh look just the guy to ask a question I was wondering. how much heat does the 30 throw out to the sides? think ill run into any problems with the side walls which are 12 inches clearance. they are just steel studs durrock and tile, no combustables. I figure with all the firebrick the heat comes mostly off the top.

its gonna get a bit sporty at 12 inches, glad the knee walls you built are non combustible. how far out do they extend past the rear of the stove?

never mind just looked again, heat shields wouldn't help a whole lot , but some near the back

knee walls are 36 x 36 the face of the stove is about flush with front of knee wall.I wonder if I should just go grab a cpl sheets of 24 guage paint them flat black and space them out 1 inch on the insides of my knee walls.i cranked her up the other night to burn off paint and the inside of the wall got pretty warm but outside was cool. its all non combustable but just don't want it to pop tiles off.

FWIW: With my 30 installed in the fireplace the fireplace side walls are only five inches from the sides of the stove. And every once in a while for nine years I have checked the fireplace firebox walls with my IR thermo with the stove cranking. Never gotten a reading over 235 degrees F.

thanks bb good to know. the walls were hot but I could hold my hand for like 10 seconds on them with the stovetop temp around 600. I was just wondering my hearth is a little different but when I get the time to build the front gate it will tie it all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.