My first big free score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave11

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
Western PA
I'm always so envious when you guys post about all the free wood you get, I just had to post my first big score. Was working in the backyard today when I heard a big chipper rev up on the next street. Hopped in my car and found the tree service's lead guy walking near the road. Asked him if they had any wood they didn't want. He said "Yeah, a big pin oak. But it's really. really big."

Told him I didn't mind. He said "But it's really big. You wouldn't be able to move most of the pieces.

Told him I didn't care. Come dump it in my driveway.

He took my address, and sent three truckloads of wood. Some of the pieces are almost four feet in diameter. Fortunately I have a five foot cant hook.

Pic attached, but I couldn't fit all the wood in one pic clearly, so there's even more than you can see.

Tried splitting some straight pieces, but they won't budge. Even my wood grenade only made a soggy hole. Lucky I have a big driveway, cause it will be there a while.

The tree guy was actually grateful I took the wood and saved them three trips to the mulch yard. Gave him $20 and he seemed surprised.

Attachments

• woodpile1.jpg
    woodpile1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 581
wood spliter said:
I love it when my buddy drops a load in my driveway.

I really hope, for your neighbors sake, you are still talking about firewood.

Nice Score... Noodle-away

Funny thing. I feel naked if I have no rounds to split -- then, when I get a huge score, I feel so much pressure to get them split......I guess this is one of the reasons I'm in therapy. :) Nice find. Good ear hearing the chipper.....we're all tuned to that song!

That wood looks awfully light colored for a pin oak. Looks like darned good wood to get though. lol

Scorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre! Dave that is the mother load.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
That wood looks awfully light colored for a pin oak. Looks like darned good wood to get though. lol

I thought the wood looked too light as well. Pin Oak is a subtype of red oak, and this wood sure doesn't look like red oak to me. It is very light colored, with very little heartwood.

But the tree service in question has a great reputation, and the crew leader seemed certain it was. I didn't see the tree myself before it was dropped and bucked.

Maybe I'll take a closer pic tomorrow.

Jags said:
wood spliter said:

I seriously just spit Bud Light on my screen! That's funny!!

dave11 said:
The tree guy was actually grateful I took the wood and saved them three trips to the mulch yard.

Nice score. Its funny, we covet this stuff like gold but the tree guys see it as a liability unless it is high end and easy to make firewood out of. From what I've seen, they don't get very much of that compared to the big ugly trees that someone is worried about falling on their house.

SolarAndWood said:
dave11 said:
The tree guy was actually grateful I took the wood and saved them three trips to the mulch yard.

Nice score. Its funny, we covet this stuff like gold but the tree guys see it as a liability unless it is high end and easy to make firewood out of. From what I've seen, they don't get very much of that compared to the big ugly trees that someone is worried about falling on their house.

I get the impression that tree guys who sell firewood can afford to be very picky about the wood they keep, and also don't want to make trips back to the storage yard during the middle of the day. They take some of the good stuf with them at the end of the day, but their time is more valuable than the wood, so they are happy to dump it close by if they can.

GatorDL55 said:
Jags said:
wood spliter said:

I seriously just spit Bud Light on my screen! That's funny!!

Coffee on mine.... LMAO

Yea that fresh cut Pin Oak is hard to even scratch, give it a month though and it will split easy, great score.

dave11 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I thought the wood looked too light as well. Pin Oak is a subtype of red oak, and this wood sure doesn't look like red oak to me. It is very light colored, with very little heartwood.

But the tree service in question has a great reputation, and the crew leader seemed certain it was. I didn't see the tree myself before it was dropped and bucked.

Maybe I'll take a closer pic tomorrow.

Dave, one easy way to id a pin oak is picturing them live. They have more little limbs than any other tree I know of. Naturally, the little knots on the wood will tell the story on that.

Maybe he looked at a different tree than they cut, I'll put $ on that not being an Oak!

Doesn't look quite right for pin oak to me, either, but it also looks like it has been dead for a while .

I have better luck splitting oak by hand with wedges and a big heavy mallet, too. Especially bigger rounds like those.
Not that I get too many big rounds like those with all the carpenter ants here.

Status
Not open for further replies.