my first few loads of free wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just by looking at the ladder and table it seems some of those rounds could be pretty decent size. You need a bigger scroungemobile :)

Some are very big and very heavy. if I could afford a scroungemobile I'd be very happy

Last load dropped off and delivered. Free!

more small/branch type of pieces but free is free.

Attachments

• IMG_20170306_192418.jpg
    IMG_20170306_192418.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20170306_192542.jpg
    IMG_20170306_192542.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20170306_192518.jpg
    IMG_20170306_192518.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: fishki
My final load until I've sorted out what I have.

Attachments

• IMG_20170307_080509.jpg
    IMG_20170307_080509.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 131
Are those little branches worth burning or should I keep them for the outsidefires? I mean, will a stove packed with them burn for a couple hours?

Are those little branches worth burning or should I keep them for the outsidefires? I mean, will a stove packed with them burn for a couple hours?
I burn anything over 1-2" I use it when we get home to light a quick hot warm up fire to get the house back to temp then I reload with bigger splits for overnight burns.

I also use branches to fill every last void of my firebox :)

We use fallen small limbs often.
Great kindle, and in the case of a short hot fire to take off the morning chill
they are perfect in those seasons where the overnite temps are close to freezing
but it's gonna be 50-60 later thru the day.

Edit:
For someone with no wood so to speak, (new stovers, or everything on site
is green or wet) those'll keep ya alive without a parka indoors. lol

We have a forest floor fulla branches that would easily keep us going for a full season.
It would require often ash cleanouts and refills on the firebox but wood is wood, period.

Even more wood (front, side, back view) getting 2-3 more suv loads today of large rounds cut in halves and quarter pieces. Just like the ones in the rear photo....except this time he cut them up for me :)

Any guesses as to how many cords so far? Hoping to start being able to process it all next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20170318_113628.jpg
    IMG_20170318_113628.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20170318_113705.jpg
    IMG_20170318_113705.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20170318_113655.jpg
    IMG_20170318_113655.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 118
Even more wood (front, side, back view) getting 2-3 more suv loads today of large rounds cut in halves and quarter pieces. Just like the ones in the rear photo....except this time he cut them up for me :)

Any guesses as to how many cords so far? Hoping to start being able to process it all next weekend.
What kind of wood is that gray & black log in pic #3? I tried burning one like that once and it smelled really bad. I don't recommend it. :p

P.S. All the other stuff is really nice though!

Reactions: beermann
What kind of wood is that gray & black log in pic #3? I tried burning one like that once and it smelled really bad. I don't recommend it. :p

P.S. All the other stuff is really nice though!

That made me laugh. It's maple, no idea what type of maple.

I might be able to get a lot of free willow from my neighbor. His big tree fell during a wind storm. Not sure about willow as I read mixed reviews.

Willow is poor firewood for heating but great outdoors for bonfire. I do burn it too indoors but just for quick "for show" fires or when its very mild.

For free = get it because wood is wood. If you have to spend gas on fetching it + cutting it its probably not worth it.

That made me laugh. It's maple, no idea what type of maple.

I might be able to get a lot of free willow from my neighbor. His big tree fell during a wind storm. Not sure about willow as I read mixed reviews.

Willow is fine for shoulder season wood, or stretching your good stuff. If you're just starting out, take everything you can get. Better to have some willow for a fire to warm things up a little on a spring or fall morning than to pay the oil man. I have an owb and use it with pine for quick fires just to get the water up to temp, or as filler with a few splits of good stuff when it's not too cold. I don't have people beating my doors down with free hickory, so if it's convenient I'll take anything. :)