My good fortune

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
A person on Craigs List replied to me regarding trees he needed down at his summer cottage about 20 miles from my house. Located on a small lake and a nice ride from our place. Over the last several weeks we have taken down 1 ash a several decent sized hickory(they are all s/s now). We had an agreement that I would just pile the small branches and he would worry about them later. There was 1 tree left, a big ash, that I would not touch due to power lines and I don't climb. Got an email from him that he found a guy that will take it down with a bucket truck and will remove all the branches from it and the huge pile I had from the other trees.
Took off from work early Friday and as soon as I walk in the door my wife says this guy called and the tree is down.So yesterday the Mrs and I load up my gear and head out to the lake. After only a half hour we had a full truck load of ash. This guy cut the complete tree up...I didn't start the saw once! Man was I glad to see that as I was tired at the end of the day before heading out but I always try to respond promptly to people giving me free wood.
So I got a truck load of wood, had a helper with me(unusual), have another load just sitting there waiting for me, now I'm 2+ year ahead with c/s/s good hardwood and smiling as I type this :)

I don't see any pictures. (couldn't resist)

Reactions: ScotO
After only a half hour we had a full truck load of ash. This guy cut the complete tree up...I didn't start the saw once!
Good deal! :cool:
After I read the first sentence I said to myself "I must be getting old, no way I'm bucking and loading a truck in half an hour, even with girl help." You said "big Ash"...were you able to load the rounds without splitting 'em down?
I don't see any pictures. (couldn't resist)
He did say he was tired; Maybe he has a heavy camera. [Insert smirk smilie without sunglasses here because sunglasses denote 'cool.' No pics, not cool.] :p:p

Sounds like a pefect deal for you. Where are the photos?

Bob, that was a great find. Glad they saved you some work.

The expected rain yesterday held off long enough that we were able to go back and get the 2nd/final truck load. The ash was big enough that required noodling the bottom 6 rounds of the trunk. If the weatherman is accurate I may be able to split the load before the yucky weather sets in later today and pics will follow.....if I remember! :)

Sweet score.
You've earned an easier one.
None are easy, but the easier ones are needed now & then. Having a good help is priceless too ;)

One of the large rounds.jpg
Sweet score it was. The second truck load was a fairly heavy load and I did suffer my first firewood related injury. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention and got a finger pinched in the splitter. Sure am glad the ram stops as soon as you let go of the handle or it could have been much worse. As it is, I guess I'll lose a finger nail.

Rain held off again until just as I was done cleaning up the area. Here are the promised pics.....

Attachments

• The first truck load.jpg
    The first truck load.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 111
  • The second truck load.jpg
    The second truck load.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Getting ready to split and stack load2.jpg
    Getting ready to split and stack load2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Beaver Lake project wood.jpg
    Beaver Lake project wood.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Beaver Lake find.jpg
    Beaver Lake find.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Most of the stacks.jpg
    Most of the stacks.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: ScotO
Also want to mention that I am "bi"....bi-splitter that is. 3 of the huge/heavy rounds were done vertical, sans milk crate.

Ouch Bob. Hope that finger is okay. I would never attempt to split that big ash horizontally for sure. But then, I won't noodle either.

Made me think of last winter. My son and I were unloading some big rounds, quartered, and as he let one down off the truck and onto the pile, he didn't get his hand out from under it in time and it broke his finger.....2 hours in the ER, set, splint, and back to unloading, OUCH <> Everything about what we do needs CAREFUL ;) Stuff can happen.

Wow, a nice stash of wood you've got going there! Nice pics, they were worth the wait. :p
Another Wood Shed guy whose got a Big Ash. :cool:
Glad you got off easy on the potential smashed finger. I keep telling myself I need to be more careful but still, things happen. I've been fortunate so far, but it's much better not to rely on luck...

I'll join the BWS band wagon.
It hurt my back just looking at the big round on the splitter. I'd have had to roll it on the truck, roll it off & split it vertically :)

Ouch, one of those self teacher's. "don't put fingers here".
Glad it was just the finger nail & not the whole finger.
Drill or burn a little hoe in the finger nail to release the pressure

Good looking fire wood :)

Decided to measure the stacks from the Beaver Lake find, almost 4 1/4 cords of ash and mostly hickory. Funny story about this Craigs List deal was that a few other people had answered before me but could not find his place. I almost didn't answer because his ad mentioned the mailing address that seemed it would be too far a drive, but it turns out it was 20 miles 1 way. So for basically a tank of gas I got almost a full years worth of heat and dhw! He has even invited me up there if I am ever in the area. Told the Mrs we may go up with a case of beer for the guy and maybe even help him dispose of a few.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.