My neighbor added roof bling!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a PV panel that runs my 12 volt circulator pump on my SHW system. Some folks just hook the PV to a 12 volt pump with no controls, that works but has some issues in the winter and cold mornings and in the afternoon, so I have a fairly simple controller that looks at the temp at the top of the panel and only runs the pump when the top of the panel is hotter than the tank. So even with the power out I will end up with a tank of hot water but unless I want to hook a hose its not of much use. The SHW system went in before the PV so at the time it made sense. as it saved the electrical use of running a circ pump. Given the HPHW heaters are so inexpensive, I wouldn't install a SHW system and would just install a few more PV panels to run the HPHW heater but since its installed I use it.

I finally got to chatting with him and he's making just over 26 kwh per day. The system must be networked as he pulled it up on his phone. He did notice the fall off in production from the trees and they are planning to take them out.

26 X 30 = 780

Am I figuring that wrong? Should he be producing more now to make up for snow and low sun in winter? If he has sunny days it looks like he will be producing almost call of the 800 he uses. Now, I bet he will start trying to conserve and drop his usage by a couple hundred kwh.

Sorry - long day and brain is mush:oops:

Winter months means shorter days but photo cells are supposed to function more efficiently in colder temps...

I wonder if he has incentive to cut the trees down. He buys electricity at a discounted price. If he produces more than he uses, does he sell that? Or do those profits go to the company that owns the panels?

It might pay him more to reduce consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.