Bald Faced Hornets

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Moderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I had a fun call today! A guy had a bunch of trees taken down in his back yard and was breaking them down. He came upon a BFH nest! I’m sure he exited the top of the pile quickly and called me!

I stopped in today, had to scale the pile to find the nest and figure out how to treat/remove it.

After treating I removed it. All is well, but it was a weird job! I got pitch all over the seat of my pants. I need to figure out how to remove that!

If you look at the top of the pile there’s a broken log. That’s where the nest was, lol.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] Bald Faced Hornets
    IMG_0685.webp
    648.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Wow
Reactions: ispinwool
Goo Gone might get that pitch off. PBlaster will definitely loosen pitch, but it might stain. We use to cleaner the planer blades at my stepson-in-law’s sawmill.
 
I've seen sawmills use car windshield washer fluid. Not sure if it helps keep it off versus take it off once it's on (and dried) though...
 
I ended up using rubbing alcohol. It took it right off! The hard spots needed a little fingernail scratching.
 
I've seen sawmills use car windshield washer fluid. Not sure if it helps keep it off versus take it off once it's on (and dried) though...
good washer fluid used to contain alcohol. Years back at GM dealers we had Optikleen concentrate in Qt. bottles. you could pour a little and light it on fire and amaze your friends.
 
  • Like
Reactions: stoveliker