My neighbor asked me if I had enough wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
So I was out Saturday sharpening the chainsaw blade at 10:30. The weather in NJ on Saturday afternoon was going to be terrible. Started cutting to length some logs that were dropped off by a local contractor that does work for my engineering firm. The neighbor was out walking the dog and wanted to know if I had enough wood yet. My subconscious response was "No you idiot, you never pass up free wood."

I think I have officially realized that I am crazy as everyone else on this forum... It doesn't matter how much wood you have. Every Saturday morning by the pile with a chainsaw, a splitter, and a Thermos of coffee is a thousand times better than the most exciting Monday morning in the office.

i always just say " one can never have enough firewood"

After years of wood heating, I've learned that there are only 2 amounts that you can have...

1) None - better get butt in gear and get to falling and bucking

2) Maybe enough - but better haul a couple more truckloads to be sure.

Our first year burning wood...and the wife has asked me a couple of times the same thing. She has now learned there is no such thing as "enough wood". What there is such a thing is "you never have too much wood".

4 cords s&s for this year(hoping this is enough)...2 cords s&s for next year and a very large cherry down(well over 1 cord I think) in my neighbors yard ready to be cut and brough back for s&s. 2 large oaks(est 2 cords) down in our wooded area...some may be usable this year... ready to be brough back and still I have the urge to scrounge some more!

But, I find most people that do not burn wood have no understanding of this addiction!

Addiction is a good word.

Bigg_Redd said:
When my neighbors talk to me I glare and say nothing.
what sort of Shotgun do you hold whilst sitting in the rocker on your porch?

"Stay away from that house, that's where Crazy ol' Mr. Redd lives...."

We are talking about never having enough firewood, right? ;) :)

And for the record . . . the answer is no . . . once you run out of wood in middle of a winter you realize that it is always better to have more than less . . . and once you see how much better well seasoned wood burns you realize that it is far better to be a year or two or more ahead (both for burning and in case something happens that prevents you from cutting wood for a year).

My better half calls wood "crack". She knows how I react when I see free wood. She'll call me every so often and say, "Hey, I was just on my to to XYZ and I saw some crack on the side of the road..." Or "can you pick up XYZ with the truck, or do you have crack in the back?" Another common one is, "what did you do today, play in the crack pile?" One can never have enough crack. :cheese:

Stevebass4 said:
Personally I think one can have enough but I usually just say "you can never have too much".

After a second cord of fresh red oak arrived in my driveway last week. I called up my father and offered him a cord of stuff that will would have ended up rotting before I got to cut and splitting it.... I am sitting on close to 10 cords right now... I burn 1-2 a year.

Backpack09 said:
After a second cord of fresh red oak arrived in my driveway last week. I called up my father and offered him a cord of stuff that will would have ended up rotting before I got to cut and splitting it.... I am sitting on close to 10 cords right now... I burn 1-2 a year.
open your windows and crank the stove(s). 10 year supply would be earning me some money, I can't really see having more than 5 years worth....

I'm working on wood that should get me through 2011/2012. This is figuring 5 cords a year, this is my first year so I'll know more in the spring. I have my wife sold on the three years ahead thing but anymore then that I'll be pushing it. :lol:

LLigetfa said:
Stevebass4 said:
Personally I think one can have enough but I usually just say "you can never have too much".

you Canadians speak funny eh??!! ;)

I'm still stacking it up and got more coming. This is my first year with aN EPA stove, so dont know how mych is enough. I've got about A 125ft row split and stacked and 4 truckloads waiting to be split. Plus a Walnut and Maple to cut down.. HELP!! I DONT KNOW WHEN TO STOP!

There are only two measures of fire wood: no wood and not enough wood.

Stevebass4 said:
LLigetfa said:
Stevebass4 said:

you Canadians speak funny eh??!! ;)[/quote
You would too if all you did was play hockey and build igloo's.What's that all aboot eh? ;-P (Fellow Canuck)

I always seem to need two more truck loads. Right now I'm good through 2012 as soon as I get two more truck loads. :lol:

Of coarse I will have to begin scrounging for 2013 early next year. :roll:

I definetly got the addiction. I didn't even have a stove(had gas logs in the fireplace). It all started with some down cherry branches that I had to cut in July. This led to another cherry and another(of course I had to buy a new Stihl 390), then building a Holtz Hauzen, then cutting down a huge oak close to the house, to using CL for more. First year burning and since July I already have about 8 cords. Now I am really going off the deep end and going to buy a skid steer to clear trails and trees from my land. When will this stop?

Wet1 said:
My better half calls wood "crack". She knows how I react when I see free wood. She'll call me every so often and say, "Hey, I was just on my to to XYZ and I saw some crack on the side of the road..." Or "can you pick up XYZ with the truck, or do you have crack in the back?" Another common one is, "what did you do today, play in the crack pile?" One can never have enough crack. :cheese:
I got yelled at last night because I spend too much time with my wood pile, wood furnace, and wood forums. She's gone now, so I can talk. ;-P

Yep, when you have to start buying it because you didn't have enough, then it sets in fast that you can't have to much. Never again.

ikessky said:
I got yelled at last night because I spend too much time with my wood pile, wood furnace, and wood forums. She's gone now, so I can talk. ;-P
lol, yesterday my wife said "do you think you could start a conversation with me that doesn't start with 'on the hearth forum...'"

Mine asked me if I was talking to my "wood friends" I said they' re not friends.

Mother in law always asks if im talkin to my woody buddies. No reply from me, pretend I dont here her. Wife says I spend more time with my wood than her. So, in response to all the b.s they throw out, I shut the propane off to the boiler and they are now gettin a little more intimate with "my" wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.