My "new" saw is a . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
Homelite XL 12 from the 60's (I think).

I was over at a friend house the other night and saw an old blue homelite chain saw sitting on the ground outside. I asked about it and he said it was junk, and going in the trash. Being a lover of old equipment, I asked if I could have it. I took it home that night along with another small light duty Skil chainsaw (1616) he was going to toss. They both belonged to his FIL, who dumped them on him because they did not run.

Well, tonight I spent about a half hour going through it. It had spark but no fuel. A little methodical trouble shooting, some carb cleaner, and that little puppy kicks to life with one pull. And it's a snarly little bastard!

It is blue with white trim. I understand (after some brief research) that they were made from the early 60s well into the 80s??

Anyway, I love my Stihl 034, but this little saw now has a home in my garage, and won't be seeing a scrap dealer for a long time.

I have not gotten the little skil to light yet, but I will. :)

That's great you were able to save it...everyone should have a back up saw in case there main saw gets stuck. Yeah it's a recruit thing to do but it does happen even to the experienced.

Good job. It's always cool to bring a piece equipment back to life after it's obit has already been written.

Thanks guys. I get a particular satisfaction from trouble shooting and repairing something that someone has written off. This little saw will do exactly as you suggest; serve as my backup should I have an issue with my Stihl that would cause me grief. Fortuanately, to date I have not bound up my saw to the point where I could not get it un-stuck by some means, but having a spare in the truck will be nice insurance to have.

I'll also use it for limbing since the 034 get's heavier the longer you use it! Strange gravity well around that thing . . . ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.