My opinion of the Champion 27 ton log splitter from Home Depot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sirlight

Burning Hunk
Dec 4, 2021
Albany, OR
Now that I have run between 12 and 14 cords of wood though my new log splitter, I thought it would be good to write up a quick review.

First let me start by saying I have never owned or even used a log splitter before, so this is an amateur's opinion. With this in mind, I have been heating entirely with wood for the past 10 years. I recently scored some really large, green oak logs that were beyond my ability to split with a maul. I decided to finally bite the bullet and purchase a log splitter. I chose the Campion 27 from home depot for $1349. Note that Home Depot also has a 34 ton for$1779. With advise from this forum, I decided that the 27 would get the job done.

First of all, this splitter has split everything I have thrown at it. Even knotty oak logs have not been a problem. The hydraulics are solid and the Champion brand motor has started on the first pull every time to far.

P1040601.jpg

The splitter came assembled by home depot, but the kid that assembled it did not tighten the hydraulic reservoir cap an it was leaking fluid. That was easy to fix.

P1040602.jpg

The hydraulic pump.

P1040603.jpg

The splitting ram, wedge and controls. The wedge does a good job, and the guide allows you to split up to 24 inch logs. The control valve is auto return and works well.

P1040604.jpg

The log "shelves" are a bit flimsy and too small. I plan to make some replacements.

P1040605.jpg

The motor is solid, but in a bad location. It is easy to drop a log on it by mistake. Also, the air filter cover does not stay in place, so I had to zip tie it to prevent it from falling off during use of the splitter. Also to shut off the motor, you have to reach over from the opposite side of the hydraulic controls.

P1040607.jpg

The fenders over the tires are a joke and bend easily with impact from a dropped log. I plan to remove them.

P1040608.jpg

Overall I am pleased with this splitter, but improvements can be made to the design. I plan to make a new shelf for the logs and a cover to deflect logs dropped on the motor. The ram and wedge are a beast. Cycle time is pretty quick. I am sure if I take good care of this splitter it will handle many cords of firewood for years to come.

Now for the pictures of all the firewood I have split in the last month!
P1040596.jpgP1040597.jpgP1040598.jpgP1040599.jpgP1040600.jpg P1040595.jpg

Last edited:
You've gotten your moneys worth so far ...;)

Reactions: all night moe
You've gotten your moneys worth so far ...;)
That is exactly what I was thinking. In my area firewood is becoming expensive. A few years ago, fir firewood was going for $170 a cord. Now it selling for $250 to $275. Hardwood is $375. Even though cutting and splitting all this firewood took much effort, the value of the wood is about $3000 to $3200. Anytime a tool makes you more money than it cost, you got a good deal.

Reactions: Riff and FTG-05
Great Review. Only thing I miss from Burning Wood over Pellet was my Log Splitter. Best Labor saving tool ever. I found going vertical was great for Big Segments. The Freshly Cut ones that squirt out sap.

my buddy also has one, he has no complaints yet, been working well.

I have one and for what I've used it for, I love it. I think it is one of the better builds for the money.

I have the 25 ton version and I really like it. But... the fenders broke right away so I removed them. I think it is better this way as I don't hit my shins on the fender edge. The control developed a leak under the screw in cap opposite the control lever. Champion immediately sent a replacement valve. Awesome service.
This year I noticed hydraulic oil leaking from the reservoir sight gauge. The o-ring seal had deteriorated. Jacked up one end of tank; removed sight gauge and replaced o-ring. Simple.
It starts every time and works well.

Now that I have run between 12 and 14 cords of wood though my new log splitter, I thought it would be good to write up a quick review.

First let me start by saying I have never owned or even used a log splitter before, so this is an amateur's opinion. With this in mind, I have been heating entirely with wood for the past 10 years. I recently scored some really large, green oak logs that were beyond my ability to split with a maul. I decided to finally bite the bullet and purchase a log splitter. I chose the Campion 27 from home depot for $1349. Note that Home Depot also has a 34 ton for$1779. With advise from this forum, I decided that the 27 would get the job done.

First of all, this splitter has split everything I have thrown at it. Even knotty oak logs have not been a problem. The hydraulics are solid and the Champion brand motor has started on the first pull every time to far.

View attachment 292975

The splitter came assembled by home depot, but the kid that assembled it did not tighten the hydraulic reservoir cap an it was leaking fluid. That was easy to fix.

View attachment 292976

The hydraulic pump.

View attachment 292977

The splitting ram, wedge and controls. The wedge does a good job, and the guide allows you to split up to 24 inch logs. The control valve is auto return and works well.

View attachment 292978

The log "shelves" are a bit flimsy and too small. I plan to make some replacements.

View attachment 292979

The motor is solid, but in a bad location. It is easy to drop a log on it by mistake. Also, the air filter cover does not stay in place, so I had to zip tie it to prevent it from falling off during use of the splitter. Also to shut off the motor, you have to reach over from the opposite side of the hydraulic controls.

View attachment 292980

The fenders over the tires are a joke and bend easily with impact from a dropped log. I plan to remove them.

View attachment 292981

Overall I am pleased with this splitter, but improvements can be made to the design. I plan to make a new shelf for the logs and a cover to deflect logs dropped on the motor. The ram and wedge are a beast. Cycle time is pretty quick. I am sure if I take good care of this splitter it will handle many cords of firewood for years to come.

Now for the pictures of all the firewood I have split in the last month!

View attachment 292982

View attachment 292983View attachment 292984View attachment 292985View attachment 292986View attachment 292987
Looking for some advise. I just purchased a champion 27 from HD. I would like to get a 4way wedge for it, but can't seem to find any the say they will work. All so what's the best way to get in touch with their customer service about one. I haven't had any luck yet. Looking forward to trying it out, but really was thinking that a 4way wedge would cut the work in half.
Any thoughts welcomed...

Looking for some advise. I just purchased a champion 27 from HD. I would like to get a 4way wedge for it, but can't seem to find any the say they will work. All so what's the best way to get in touch with their customer service about one. I haven't had any luck yet. Looking forward to trying it out, but really was thinking that a 4way wedge would cut the work in half.
Any thoughts welcomed...
I had a 4 way wedge and ended up taking it off. I'm pretty sure I'm faster without it. You end up 'cutting' a lot more wood than splitting. I got so frustrated with it that I took it off. It works well for a certain size of wood but bigger or smaller then it's a pain.

As far as splitters go now a days.. you really cant go wrong.. the real issue is always is cycle time.. as long as its decent, your good to go. I have 2 splitters a 27 and a 20 ton and I use the 20 all year every year.. its faster with an 11 second cycle.. the 27 gets set up to split the larger rounds in the vertical position. The 20 has split everything.. Im jut a little lazy and cant stand switching back and forth.. also what's nice is my boy will quarter up the rounds while i split.. making production high.. full beam seems to be more durable..

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I purchased the 34 ton version this past January. Split up 13 big trees (up to 40" diameter) with it.
No real experience with the horizontal setting, as I always split vertical...That being said, aside from changing the motor oil, hydraulic oil, and hydro filter, had no major problems. I had the pull cord break on me fairly early on...and the hose clamp where the hydro line connects to the hydro tank comes loose and starts leaking every now and then. Both easy fixes.

Update from 7/18/23 on the Champion log splitter:

I have ran somewhere between 16 to 18 cords through this splitter and in general I have been very happy with its performance. That was until today. The wedge no longer retracts. With help from some friends, we determined that the piston rod had unscrewed from the piston. The jamb nut on the back of of the rod has unscrewed and the rod came out. I brought the cylinder to a hydraulic shop and they fixed it for $130.

This was obviously a manufacturing error and it is a shame to have to do this repair after so few cords processed. Other than that, I am still happy with the splitter. That is until some other quality control issue shows up.

Hand spitting for 10 years before getting a splitter might be a record. Good for you getting one!

Update from 7/18/23 on the Champion log splitter:

I have ran somewhere between 16 to 18 cords through this splitter and in general I have been very happy with its performance. That was until today. The wedge no longer retracts. With help from some friends, we determined that the piston rod had unscrewed from the piston. The jamb nut on the back of of the rod has unscrewed and the rod came out. I brought the cylinder to a hydraulic shop and they fixed it for $130.

This was obviously a manufacturing error and it is a shame to have to do this repair after so few cords processed. Other than that, I am still happy with the splitter. That is until some other quality control issue shows up.
I'm surprised. Did the wedge/rod give you any warning like extending too far or not returning fully?

I'm surprised. Did the wedge/rod give you any warning like extending too far or not returning fully?
No warning at all. The shaft just did not retract. During some trouble shooting, I decided to remove the wedge and try to cycle the cylinder. The rod shot out the front of the cylinder and puked hydraulic fluid all over the place. The hydraulic shop fixed the cylinder for $130 and I am back in action now.

Glad to hear you got back up and running. Over the years out here on the farm I have had a few cylinders have the piston come off the rod. Had a Bobcat skid loader that had one bucket cylinder do it as I was loading big round bales of hay on a semi flatbed. Gave me a good scare.

On my grader it has 2 small cylinders to move the circle...
Had the ram nut come off one of them,which made for a long diagnosis as to why the circle wasn't turning right.
The cylinders cycle in and out to turn a gear on both sides of the circle with one not working right things didn't jive.