my rack build ITS DONE!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
so here it is

Attachments

• rack front1.jpg
    rack front1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 592
As long as you leave a gap (like 3 to 6 inches) between rows, you're fine. You don't want split ends touching each other because you need air flow between rows.

Sounds perfect to me,too. As long as you have it out in the open, not up against a wall, it should be fine. Maybe try to stack it kinda loose. This wood will be for next winter, right?

this will be for the next years burn (my drying rack) and my other rack is for the current years burn yea not against a wall and it has enough room for 3 " in between ill shoot pics later on today of the "build"

As long as it is for next year (2011-2012) you should be fine unless it is oak. I do it all the time and even more than 3 rows deep. However, I've been known to have wood stacked for many moons ahead. Here is some wood I'll be tapping into this coming winter. I'll probably use less than 1/3 of it this coming winter.

Wood-2009d.gif

my plan is to have AT LEAST 2 racks one to hold 2 -3 cords for current years burning and the other other 3-4 cords to hold the year after/2 years after supply and this way i am hopfully ahrad 2 years this year is harder because i am starting "fresh" going to be ordering 2-2.25 cords of maple/oak for 350 del/stacked that was split last year

No problem with three rows . . . especially if you give the rows a bit of space in between for the wind to penetrate.

Nice pallet. I just started getting some from my hot tub shop. I have 3 already - 4x8ish.

here it is people just have to put on the lattice this weekend

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 700
  • rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 693
I hate to be a spoiler, but I think your shed needs some serious reinforcement. More blocking underneath, a few more vertical supports, diagonal bracing at each top plate/support junction & with a shallow pitch roof like that, the studs should be on edge to act as rafters. It is a lot easier to do it now than when it is stacked full & a foot of wet snow pushing down on the top.
This is one I built last week for the 2013/2014 firewood.
Al

Attachments

• shed1.jpg
    shed1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 692
yea im not done with the supports (should have said that) and its not shallow its 7/5 feet in the front and a tad over 6 in the rear

Dont mean to go off on a tangent but I'm thinking about building a woodshed... That looks to be just regular old pine? Will that hold up? Do you finish it or perhaps use PT wood? Not sure if I'll have the time to build it for this fall or not but definitely would like to have a better solution than stacking what wont fit on the porch on the ground. If I can make it look nice maybe the wifey will let me put it closer to the house...

here it is DONE

Attachments

• rack front1.jpg
    rack front1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 513
pic 2!!!!!

Attachments

• rack side1.jpg
    rack side1.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 539
Another member touched on this earlier but your header looks pretty small. What is there, about an 8ft span on each side in the front with a single 2x4 supporting the front of the roof??

You're in New Jersey? Do you get any snow?
Really not trying to be a pain in the azz, but those 2x4 laying on the flat are going to bow under any kind of weight, and I agree with the others,...the headers are under sized.
Rebuild it now, before you load it with wood, or get any snow.
Do a search on here for woodsheds, and the ones you find will have been built the way we're suggesting. Just trying to help.
Props to 'ya for building a shed, though.

its actually a 4x4 i thought that wouldbe strong enough i was waling on it without a problem

Mroverkill said:
its actually a 4x4 i thought that wouldbe strong enough i was waling on it without a problem

Looks fine to me...and stack the wood anyway you please.
No rocket science needed here, it's wood.
You'll probably fit more in your lean-to rather than trying too hard and leaving too much of a gap.
The key is not the stacking technique, the key is to be at least 1 yr ahead, 2 yrs ahead for oak.
Make a second lean-to for the following season and give them each a fun name.
Then get some more wood ready now and throw it in.

PapaDave said:
Really not trying to be a pain in the azz, but those 2x4 laying on the flat are going to bow under any kind of weight, and I agree with the others,...the headers are under sized.
Do a search on here for woodsheds, and the ones you find will have been built the way we're suggesting. Just trying to help.

I agree with Dave. I think the trusses should be turned vertical, and add some meat to the headers as well. I would hate to see all that hard work go to waste when you have a foot of wet snow up there. Otherwise nice use of the lattice.

Charlie

ckarotka said:
PapaDave said:

I agree with Dave. I think the trusses should be turned vertical, and add some meat to the headers as well. I would hate to see all that hard work go to waste when you have a foot of wet snow up there. Otherwise nice use of the lattice.

Charlie

That's what I was getting at. I really hate to see someone work so hard, only to have it go to heck on him. Kind of like stacking too high, only to have it fall over.
Axe me how I know. :cheese:

yea i should have stood up the 2x4/s but its 2 late now that the roof is down and all at least its sitting under trees so show shouldnt be 2 big of a problem

the way things are looking this rack should fill fast and if it does then the 2nd rack will have a bit more planning.

too funny...
Holy overbuilt Batman
OMG...Holmes on Leanto's

both my lean-to's are built half as sturdy and have been standing for a few years now with no sign of wear.
i think my house shifted more than the lean-tos.
maybe if you plan on moving in upstairs.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.