My room smells like smoke/burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
check if it is indeed smoke, and therefore co is detected, or normal new stove smell. If you have co, I can understand when starting the stove, since it's hot outside, but when the stove is hot it shouldn't happen, and therefore in this case it is necessary to investigate the causes. 90 degree elbow might be fine in cold weather, but not good in this season

check if it is indeed smoke, and therefore co is detected, or normal new stove smell. If you have co, I can understand when starting the stove, since it's hot outside, but when the stove is hot it shouldn't happen, and therefore in this case it is necessary to investigate the causes. 90 degree elbow might be fine in cold weather, but not good in this season
Appreciate the tips from you and johneh I will do some more investigating. Tomorrow I’ll bring my co/gas detector near the stove and will also try two different other types of pellets, perhaps it may be the type of soft pine I am using, but doubtful. Thank you much!

Reactions: Prometeo
So I ran it today again on medium high on constant burn for 2 hours. I got the smell again the entire time. On shut down it seemed worse. Anyhow, I put my gas detector and carbon monoxide detector close to the stove and did not go off. I also have a fire alarm smoke detector and that also didn’t not go off even after closing all windows and fans In the house.

I had a friend come over and we went outside. He said the exhaust outside smells like real wood burn smoke and what we smelled inside didn’t seem like smoke. But more of some abnormal burn smell. I agree with him however to me it’s hard to tell the difference when it’s a burning wood smell.

Perhaps for some odd reason this particular stove just needs longer time to cure, or maybe he’s wrong and I’m still right. However, my detectors did not go off either. Which leads me to believe it may still be burn off. This is so confusing! I just want to be safe with my family inside.. in the event fumes are getting in.

When you said 90 degree elbows don’t do well in hot weather, why is that? If it’s sealed it’s sealed I would imagine. Thank you.

Also I plan to burn different pellets tomorrow and do more testing :)

when you say " my detectors did not go off " do you mean it was detected co or not ? The 90 bend when it's hot outside could cause problems because the draft is more difficult and hardly a system is completely sealed, but this does not mean that in the presence of small air leaks you have co in the house, but in the presence of curves 90 it can happen.

when you say " my detectors did not go off " do you mean it was detected co or not ? The 90 bend when it's hot outside could cause problems because the draft is more difficult and hardly a system is completely sealed, but this does not mean that in the presence of small air leaks you have co in the house, but in the presence of curves 90 it can happen.
Both my gas and smoke detectors did not go off. I assume if there was carbon monoxide from smoke the smoke detector would have at least gone off. But none did.

If what you smell is the paint curing and or the manufacturing oils being burnt off
that is normal. It may take a few hot burns to remove the smell completely.
If it is wood smoke you smell then you have a leak in the closed system.
The stove is new and it would be up to the installer or seller to find and repair it.
We are not there so we do not know what you smell and that makes it hard
to diagnose the problem.

If what you smell is the paint curing and or the manufacturing oils being burnt off
that is normal. It may take a few hot burns to remove the smell completely.
If it is wood smoke you smell then you have a leak in the closed system.
The stove is new and it would be up to the installer or seller to find and repair it.
We are not there so we do not know what you smell and that makes it hard
to diagnose the problem.
Yeah, seems like it’s hard to tell honestly. I am going to test two different other types of pellets and maybe see if that makes any difference. I know everybody is different when it comes to sensitivity to smells.

I’ll call the installer next week if the problem persists after a few more tries. Thanks all.

In one of your posts, you stated that the installer used black pipe
What size did he use 3, 4, or 6 inch