My Take On An Extended Front Insert, Or A Flush Insert.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Love my PE, I'll start by saying .

I see a ton of posts here over the years here "the wife wants a flush faced insert for beauty" or some such. And it always makes me shake my head ;)

It's been 9 years since I installed the PE Pacific, with an extended front, and I never regretted it, especially when I ran on wood alone, with no back up.

Over the past few weeks, with weird day time temps (50F - 80F), and over nights of 30F - 55F, I've had to make some adjustments in my wood burning. We had a frost this morning !!!

Some nights, no fire, other nights the PE going full bore. I will add that I live in a "hollow" aka Icy Hollow

http://www.longwood.k12.ny.us/commu.../what_s_new_/the_elusive_legend_of_icy_hollow

The past few nights, I have come to adore the fact that I can run a fire in the PE without the fan running, and still be able to keep the house warm with out the OB running ( OB did not run for 6 years, Dix did NOT need a gym, for sure !!).

Between the day time temps keeping the house warm enough, and the temp drop, it works. I even have enough coals in the AM, loading 3-5 splits at night, to refire in the morning (maybe with help from some kindling) to keep the house warm enough for the morning (I'm up at 5 Am, leave at 7 AM) with 1-2 splits, and know that the house won't over heat. (And the Murphy won't roast during the day ;lol )

This wouldn't happen with out the extended front of the PE. And Murphy is still a happy dog for a little while longer until I shut things down until October, parked in front of his second favorite place to be.

My 2 cents.
396994_344695932223850_1969069162_n.jpg

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly, Dix. My husband and I particularly shopped for extended inserts because our setup was crying out for an insert, but we wanted it as much like a stove as possible. We use the blower a lot in the heart of winter, but it's great to be able to get good heat without it during shoulder season. It also can crank out some heat during power outages.

It had been hot here recently (almost AC weather), but it has been cooler here the last few days, but nothing like where you live, and our basement (stove room) just dropped below 70 this evening. Tomorrow may call for a quick fire to take the chill off for the kids in the morning. We'll see.

Love my PE, I'll start by saying .

I see a ton of posts here over the years here "the wife wants a flush faced insert for beauty" or some such. And it always makes me shake my head ;)

It's been 9 years since I installed the PE Pacific, with an extended front, and I never regretted it, especially when I ran on wood alone, with no back up.

Over the past few weeks, with weird day time temps (50F - 80F), and over nights of 30F - 55F, I've had to make some adjustments in my wood burning. We had a frost this morning !!!

Some nights, no fire, other nights the PE going full bore. I will add that I live in a "hollow" aka Icy Hollow

http://www.longwood.k12.ny.us/commu.../what_s_new_/the_elusive_legend_of_icy_hollow

The past few nights, I have come to adore the fact that I can run a fire in the PE without the fan running, and still be able to keep the house warm with out the OB running ( OB did not run for 6 years, Dix did NOT need a gym, for sure !!).

Between the day time temps keeping the house warm enough, and the temp drop, it works. I even have enough coals in the AM, loading 3-5 splits at night, to refire in the morning (maybe with help from some kindling) to keep the house warm enough for the morning (I'm up at 5 Am, leave at 7 AM) with 1-2 splits, and know that the house won't over heat. (And the Murphy won't roast during the day ;lol )

This wouldn't happen with out the extended front of the PE. And Murphy is still a happy dog for a little while longer until I shut things down until October, parked in front of his second favorite place to be.

My 2 cents.View attachment 197285
Here, here, Dix! I'm strategizing about how to get more of my insert into the room. Think it'll take some doing, but I'm gonna try. What ever happened to form after function?

I get why they like the flush look but you're right, the more it sticks out of the hearth the better off you are.

An insert that extends out onto the hearth is most helpful when there is a power outage. Another nice thing about the design vs flush is a full ashlip that helps prevent sucking ash into the blower.

An insert that extends out onto the hearth is most helpful when there is a power outage. Another nice thing about the design vs flush is a full ashlip that helps prevent sucking ash into the blower.

After Hurricane Sandy, we had no power for 5 days. Both the PE & the 13 were called into service to give light in the house at night. Killed me to burn the firewood so early, but no choice.

The ash lip on both stoves has saved my butt ( and the wood floor, hearth rugs, and a dog & cat or two a few times >> ) from sparks, errant firewood rolling out from a bad poke.

I understand wanting a flush insert, but for the need for heat, extended is the answer.

I live up North of you and see a different, but related phenomenon. I see lots of people moving up from your neck of the woods and buying large houses in the country to live out their retirement. Many don't really have a back up plan for winter, and power outages. I've driven up to houses and they've been in a panic because their generator didn't come on when their power went off for an hour. I ask them about their plans for heat and light and they point to the generator. This always blows me away as this is the land of ice storms, downed trees, etc.

This winter we lost power for an evening. The neighbors on each side of me had to leave and go to their inlaws. I'm constantly surprised the messes people get themselves into when a little bit of preparation makes a huge difference.

Reactions: joneo
I agree, Dix. My Osburn protrudes into the room about 9" and it pours so much heat through convection AND radiation. I totally understand the esthetic of a flush unit, and I know those put out good heat too, but I'm glad my insert protrudes into the room significantly. I like the fact that it can still put out heat if we ever lose power in the winter as well as boil water if needed.

Reactions: joneo