My Vernon AE control board "ticks" and then power loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cmhowe72

Jan 21, 2017
Alaska
Greetings,

I have a Mt Vernon AE which has a blank wall panel screen. I haveunplugged the stove and plugged it back in which reset it for about a minute. During this brief period of power, there was a soft ticking sound coming from the control panel which was in synch with flashing blue of the red LED on the panel. This started off rapidly and slowed until it finally quit and lost power after 30-60 seconds. I've had the stove about 4 years and really not looking forward to spending upwards of $800 on a new control board.

Thanks,
Chris

Welcome to the forum! Might want to do a search of the forum as I know there have been past issues with the communication between the stove and thermostats and remotes.

Have you checked the connections to make sure connectors are secure and there is no damage to the wires? We've had forum members show up with issues on other stoves only to find out that the pup chewed wires! Easy place to start...

This is something new to me. I will have to do some digging. Will get back to you. kap

Reactions: Lake Girl
Edit to original post..... LED is not flashing "blue", it remains red. I am not sure where that came from.
Thanks Lake Girl, I will definitely have to check that as the side panel was removed for a cleaning and not replaced and I do a have an ankle biter that is pretty new to the household.

Chris

Reactions: Lake Girl
Did some checking with Quad, and if any sound is produced, it is usually a "chirping" sound that comes from the Power supply. There is a short somewhere, and it is trying to protect itself. And usually, it is the hopper switch. You can try unplugging the hopper and door switch,"they are together" from the control board, and then plug stove back in. IF power stays on, you know you have a short in them somewhere. If not, it is elsewhere. Stove won't operate with those unplugged, but power should stay on. kap

Always learn something new from you kap! Tough part is remembering all the bits and pieces==c

Reactions: kappel15
Ya, and my brain isn't what it used to be. UFFDA :rolleyes: But I do have pencil and paper. ==c

Thanks Kap! That makes every bit of sense since I rotated the stove to get a better view and it seemed to correct itself when I moved it. I'll check the connects when I get home.

Chris