My Very First Wood Stove J.A. Roby (Sirius).

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
how long does it burn for and how many logs would be good to start with
You can do this...but just be aware that these firewood bricks are not the easiest thing to get burning well all by themselves from a cold stove...its easier to burn some firewood and then load the bricks onto hot coals...

Reactions: SpaceBus
You can do this...but just be aware that these firewood bricks are not the easiest thing to get burning well all by themselves from a cold stove...its easier to burn some firewood and then load the bricks onto hot coals...
Untreated construction waste is also nice for this. I try to burn lumber scraps in milder weather, it burns quick and won't overheat the house. Just some ideas for the OP.

Reactions: clancey
Thanks that is very helpful to know and those starter bricks that you wrote about awhile back might help too--maybe..Not there yet but will be lol thanks,,,clancey

Thanks that is very helpful to know and those starter bricks that you wrote about awhile back might help too--maybe..Not there yet but will be lol thanks,,,clancey
That would be a good idea, especially if starting out with the firewood bricks right off the bat.

Thanks--so far I do not like the handle on my stove and its hard to open...complaint, complaint lol lol thanks for the video...clancey.

Thanks--so far I do not like the handle on my stove and its hard to open...complaint, complaint lol lol thanks for the video...clancey.
That can be adjusted...but they are always tight when new (on purpose) it will loosen up with time and some fires in it...

Folks here like the super cedars, I like the "Fire Liter" brand. They do make the bricks easier to light.

That will probably get easier with use. The gasket is new and stiff but it will break in.

Doing other long forgotten work at this point to catch up but I look at the pretty stove all hooked up with Pride--I actually was able to do this thing and get one that I like and finished the porch area as well,,,Those French Doors open up the whole house and a pretty straight shot back to the front door and if I have to use this in a emergency----I have it..Today I help spread river rock but pea size because the choice of the rest was just tooooo big even the 3/4 size so I got the little stuff because that path turns into a mud pile in the rain and I just do not want concrete put there for the moment.. Gosh you speak to young ones and "nobody" wants to spread rock even if they get paid for it..--lol lol They all have something else to do...lol..That job is done and the rock people actually gave me this pea size river rock for "free" because of the wrong dumping--saved money here--but the work involved was terrible and just took a easy and my time with another fellow worker--it is done...Yes...Got the birdies handle in regard to the mice I have been getting--that's done...My lawn is cut and that's done...Gave some pea rock to the one helping me for his dog area in his yard and he was glad to get it and will bring around his cat to scoop it up in the next few days...The carpenter will be back in the first week of June and finish the porch as well as the electrician..I want a wood shed built as well but we will see about this as we progress and I look at other things as well..Then I look at the wood subject and decide on how I go about that---work and more work...I hope people realize that this stove putting in has been a big major job but I am gaining here..Thanks everyone and I sure do appreciate your help and suggestions and friendship as well,,,clancey..Will keep you all updated on this thread and my stove I look at everyday and think--someday I will light you...I have about 10 people who I told in a emergency come to my house with your blankee and at least we can keep warm if its in the winter time..I also can make coffee and soup..we laugh..clancey

I have about 10 people who I told in a emergency come to my house with your blankee and at least we can keep warm if its in the winter time..I also can make coffee and soup..we laugh..clancey
Sounds to me like your a great friend and neighbor to have.

Reactions: stoveliker
That's exactly how it is and so sad for the future but these young ones will have to learn to fight their own battles for we are on our way out and did our duty already..but we can still talk about it and suggest things and it does seem to deaf ears...Life continues The other thread is where we might be able to talk about a few things along this line...thanks --appreciate--clancey
Well, a good thing you can do to relax is to try a very very small fire. I send photos from a top/down ligting in the Morso. Was just to show that Scandinave method for a cleaner lighting and a non smoke back from the lighting. For your first fire, no need to put as much wood as on the photo even if the Morso has a very smaller firebox than your stove. Just put a few (2 or 3) small pieces of dry scrap wood in the stove, add 2 or 3 other small dry branches in the other direction, some crushed newspapers pages on top and fire (light the paper only). Open the air control full ,leave the front door opened one inch and let the fire go a few minutes then close the front door when the wood is burning well.. With a so small load, the risks are near 0. Just forget all the negative parts of the life and enjoy the first fire you did Created. Just an idea if you feel confident with it.

Attachments

• IMG_6364.JPG
    IMG_6364.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6365.JPG
    IMG_6365.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 116
That loading looks full but I realize I will start small--lol That little stove of yours is something and they have such a good reputation as far as In read but mine is nice too and I think maybe in Oct when its gets cooler in climate and then I will see how the air flows and the porch will be painted and sealed at that time as well..More work on the 2nd week of June and in the meanwhile I have the pea rock put on the path to my garage from my basement and i might very well lay some field stone done to make it look pretty and also easier to bring in the pigeon feed.. Work, Work, and more Work and for now that's all we do --some cut ,, others store wood, and others burn wood, Thanks,,clancey

That is a small load of kindling. It is just to start a fire.

Gosh that looks a lot to me for I am talking about maybe five or six pieces of wood and maybe some newspaper to start the fire--lol lol..Maybe when the weather gets cold I might want more wood,,,thanks everybody clancey

It's a tiny firebox and the kindling is small. That amount of wood would barely take the chill out of the porch room on a 40º day. This is a modest load of wood that we would have in our stove on a 40º day.

IMG_1335web.jpg

Is there any other form of heat in the new stove room besides the new stove?

Yes I have hot water heat and it works real well..I just leave the french doors open and that porch gets really nice temperature and last night was about 42 degrees with a "full rain blast" early in the morning--it was a drenching rain and hard as well.. I am hoping to use this wood stove just in a emergency and I will leave the french doors open so it can flow through the house (small house 23x23 feet plus a laundry room and large shower on the other porch (before this one with the laundry stuff in it--lol...)--I am addicted to building and it never ends but this is the end of it for I need no more room...I think--lol lol...But seriously I am planning on lighting a load with my installer when it gets cooler maybe in Oct and share that experience with you, as well as take pictures of the flames like you all do--lol clancey

At 42º and rainy I would be burning. Having a stove for an emergency without learning how to burn it competently is like having a car in the driveway without having learned how to drive. It takes practice and making some mistakes to gain confidence.

Reactions: bholler
You are right you old thing-lol lol----but I will wait and have a swig of beer when I do it and have the installer there as well because he owes me that--he promised so I am going to take advantage of his "expertise" so I do not burn the house down--lol clancey

You are right you old thing-lol lol----but I will wait and have a swig of beer when I do it and have the installer there as well because he owes me that--he promised so I am going to take advantage of his "expertise" so I do not burn the house down--lol clancey
If he installed it properly how would you burn the house down?

That's what we are going to find out--lol I need to get time and get out a bit to decide on the different woods and sawdust logs and stuff like that because "this stove was put in here" only for a major emergency like something happening in Texas this past year and this gives me a peace of mind knowing that if something happened in the wintertime I can have a chance to stay in my house with my blankee..If it is to be prolonged they can put antifreeze in my piping so they will not burst but I cannot shake the feeling that we are in for a hell of a winter..I would like maybe a month supply of something would want it to be "bug free" maybe kiln dried or something maybe 1/2 a cord and someone on here said that would last about two weeks with burning for heat...I do like "Oak too" but I really need to check into all of this as well as a visit from my house insurance person--that's a real joy...lol clancey

I don't remember if it was question on past posts about having a Co alarm and a fire extinguisher? Not to scare you but just to get you more confident about the use of your stove. Having the stove in is one thing and using it is an other one. If you practice with just newspaper and a dozen of matches in your stove, it would be a first start LOL. But not so LOL.

You people are a "mess"--lol I called my Insurance person up and my Insurance is up in August and I will need to get a few new things--I have a old extinguisher and he says buy another one plus stove pipe thermometer and a CO2 meter as well as a smoke detector and he will be here with his measuring thing that he walks with--I think--maybe he will bring a tape measure but I have one of those..lol..Kind of like too see him again--he is a nice man..until---the bill....Yea for my first start I want someone with me to gear me up for this--lol thanks . I hope everyone is having a beautiful day as I am today--pretty puffy clouds and its a high ceiling but this afternoon "heavy rain" I believe will be back --if I heard it right...until....clancey

Make that a shift car in the driveway. No one learns how to burn correctly just by reading about it. It takes some practice. Different fuels will burn differently. Different weather conditions, different operator settings, different wood seasoning will all affect the burn.

Reactions: bholler
Hey Clancey enough of this lol stuff lol.get that stove going lol or you are going to need it and will not lol have a clue how to use it lol lol