My Very First Wood Stove J.A. Roby (Sirius).

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Your as bad as the rest of the people--lol lol...Here is a nice moment for you all...summer vacations..clancey

Running a wood stove is a little like swimming..."knowing" all the facts will only get you so far, eventually you just have to jump in and do it...and I have found that doing it really well is a learned skill over time, and a little bit of an art too...

Light it up now and follow the manufacturer's instructions for break-in fires, then follow that up with one real hot fire.

If you do it now, you can keep the windows open and the patio door shut, and burn all the stink out of the paint before it gets cold. (It stinks a lot.)

Reactions: stoveliker
I think the biggest thing is to overcome the fear of the stove and it "burning the house down". When the lights are out and a blizzard is trying to blow down the house, one needs confidence in the operation of emergency systems. Practice will help put those fears to rest.

Mrs. Clancey, I think what you’re hearing is a little bit of “tough love.” You don’t want to hear it, but it’s good advice in your situation. Start small. Light a few candles in your stove and enjoy watching the glow. You can take baby steps, but it is best to learn when you‘re not in a high-pressure situation.

I am thinking about it...but need the installer present just in case--lol lol.. I also need to buy some things like a fire extinguisher and a carbon dioxide and smoke detector as well as a stove pipe therm,, So it will be a little bit but I am working on it..I think I will start off with those logs you buy ready made and use some of the starter bricks that someone suggested--see my mind is on this--now everybody behave and just wait until I give you a picture of my secondary and primary flames showing in my pretty glass front to the stove. Some of your pictures are just beautiful of your stove fires and I hope mine will be just as pretty..thanks everyone...clancey

Just so that you can shop for the proper item, just make sure that you get a carbon MONoxide detector. (It’s CO for it’s abbreviation.) There are also carbon dioxide detectors, but you don’t need one of those. It will be much easier to start a fire with just dry kindling than to use a compressed log in my experience. The compressed logs can be nice for you to have on hand in an emergency (dry and bug free and can be stored in a closet or under stairs), but they are better suited to feeding an existing coal bed than lighting a fire.

Reactions: bholler
If you check the break in instructions that came with the stove, most likely you will be directed to do a very small fire first, then progressively larger ones.

Remember that you are lighting a small fire on a short stack in warm weather- that is three strikes against your draft, and you will most likely get some smoke coming back the wrong way when the door's open. Don't panic! It'll work better in the winter when there's a large temperature difference between inside and outside, and you are lighting big fires. (But don't put the break in fires off until then; I'm not kidding about the stink. You want the windows open for that.)

Reactions: bholler
I understand and I am curious now what kind of fire extinguisher do I get for tomorrow I go to HD and buy a few things to get started on this idea as well as looking at those concrete deck blocks for my carpenter will be back in the second week of June and I had a fire extinguisher in my kitchen that was 20 years old so my insurance man told me to buy a new one--lol--what kind do I get--water kind or chemical kind or "what"? I will ask the people in HD too...Also need to set up a meeting with the installer and have some of those logs on hand for him to show me how to start the fire--this should be thrilling and these things take time..lol thanks everyone clancey

I understand and I am curious now what kind of fire extinguisher do I get for tomorrow I go to HD and buy a few things to get started on this idea as well as looking at those concrete deck blocks for my carpenter will be back in the second week of June and I had a fire extinguisher in my kitchen that was 20 years old so my insurance man told me to buy a new one--lol--what kind do I get--water kind or chemical kind or "what"? I will ask the people in HD too...Also need to set up a meeting with the installer and have some of those logs on hand for him to show me how to start the fire--this should be thrilling and these things take time..lol thanks everyone clancey
Probably best to get an abc extinguisher both places.

Now that I have hope for the 5G problem to be solved in regard to the noise I now resume work on the porch where my beautiful wood stove is and today I will get some supplies for doors and windows as well as look at the deck blocks and wood for the small wood shed that I am planning to have the carpenter build and he will be back on June 2nd and we will paint and resume this work as I decide on what kind of stone that I want to put over the path from the basement to the garage because I cancelled them concreting it for I want a bit of color and not look like "concrete city" in my yard..Thinking of flagstone...Work continues and "building a wood stove fire is on my mind as well and I have not forgotten the educational aspect of all this thinking"--coming to the conclusion that "too much thinking is bad for you".lol clancey

Stove is still sitting there looking very pretty but the work on the added porch "right now" is at a stand still because "my little truck" is out of commission for this next time period as well as me recuperating from the shock of a car accident that happened in a second. I wanted to go get some items to begin a fire with but that idea is at a stand still for now..Funny even after you make a inside place for the stove there is lots of work left to do and for now its "put off"...I do have a question and a worry and wanted to ask some fire burning people what they think so as to ease my mind or not--lol..,,I have followed all clearances and permits but I have these "French Doors" put up and they are composed of wood and when they are opened the doors are about 4 feet from the stove and would these get too hot when the stove is going good with fire..So you think that I should exchange these french doors out for a metal sliding door or do you think it will be safe enough if the fire is burning or could they catch on fire?? What would you all do for safety? thanks clancey.

No issue. 4ft away far exceeds the clearance requirements for the stove.

That's great--thank you--just a worry wort here and I cannot wait to light the wood stove but it will be awhile now...just not ready at this time and I got more hurt then I realized with the accident but doing fine and staying home to get well and have not been to the hospital or anything--just uncomfortable right now...but getting better everyday..clancey

Hope you will be OK as fast as you can be. About the French doors, no problem at all, we French are very cool. LOL.

Thanks--yea the French are cool and I am getting better everyday and yes like I told everyone else in the " work done " section I am soaking in a hot water bath and using epson salts..It does help a little but then when you get out in awhile other sections hurt lol.. One cannot win for losing here but it does feels good and does relax the muscles...and that's good to get them ready for the next day.. Each day is better than the last and thanks forum friend..clancey

Today is going to be a hard working day getting the wood stove room finished out and today for me is "sanding the drywall tape with that stuff on it to get it smooth and I am wearing a mask for this job---getting ready to paint the room with some left over paint that I have...My carpenter is also going to change out the window for one of the same size as the others and i of course will be cleaning up as we go along..I do not know who far we can progress but I will bring up the wood shed and show him a picture of it--the one that I like in a smaller size. Beginning discussion about this aspect of it to the carpenter..I also need to fool around my birdie loft to seal some of the holes that the mice left and I have Orkin working with me and we are putting in some kind of a steel wool material as well as foam...I also need to clean out the basement entrance to even get the supplies to finish the wood stove room...busy busy...and I can only do so much because of my bruised ribs from the accident but I am plugging...stove is beautiful sitting there and someday--soon --it will be lite...clancey