My Wheels Have Been Turning, I Heard Alot Of Creaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
So, I've been debating for a while about putting a wood stove in the apartment for the DD, and keeping the connecting doors open in the winter to heat the entire house with wood (we have an OHW, 2 zones/ 5 zone capable. I eliminated the main house oil for heat when I added the insert), and add an electric hot water heater ( before I put the current OB in, we had a seperate oil fired HW heater, I combined to one unit to cut on costs when the old oil burner failed)

The apartment is 550 Sf, and it's heating zone also heats my master bedroom, which is on a lower level than the main floor, where the insert is.

The apartment currently has a suspended ceiling which I am sure has got to go before a chimney can be run (ground floor apartment, 1 story).

I am currently keeping an eye on Craigs list for a good "fit" of a stove. 4-8 hour burns would be fine, I think. A bigger stove might be too much for what I want to do, but what do you guys think? Thoughts, suggestion?

The apartment is on the right side, below.

Attachments

• HOUSE LAYOUT 61408.jpg
    HOUSE LAYOUT 61408.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,201
DD= dear dad? dear dog?

I'd think a small Woodstock or a PE T4 would handle this.

DD ='s Darling Daughter :), although there is a darling dog, as well, :p

The apartment is about 550 sf, I figure the master is about 350-400.

I was just thinking how fortunate you were to have a live-in Designated Driver. I guess having your daughter there is probably pretty ok also :)

I'd say get the chimney installed then keep stove shopping on craigslist. You never know what will pop up. Then, with the chimney installed, if you don't find something until right before the burning season it'll just be a quick setup job.

pen

pen said:
I was just thinking how fortunate you were to have a live-in Designated Driver. I guess having your daughter there is probably pretty ok also :)

I'd say get the chimney installed then keep stove shopping on craigslist. You never know what will pop up. Then, with the chimney installed, if you don't find something until right before the burning season it'll just be a quick setup job.

pen

HehHeh . . . I was thinking the same thing . . . I was thinking, "Wow, Dixie actually has a Designated Driver right on site . . . how convenient." ;) :)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
DD ='s Darling Daughter :), although there is a darling dog, as well, :p

The apartment is about 550 sf, I figure the master is about 350-400.

I read it as "Divorced Dad", and thought, "PY" (Poor You). :p

I'd recommend what I'm thinking about in a similar size space - a Jotul F3, or maybe the PE T4 BG mentioned.

Gosh! DD, PY, F3, PE, T4, BG.... FWIW, I think we're living in an AS (Abbreviated Society).

Id calculate what the chimney cost is and then do the 30% thing. If it costs ya $1000 for the chimley fluke without a dampner and you can save $300 by buying a qualifying stove...I guess my point is, you can find a decent EPA certified stove for under $1k pretty easily this time of year. Just do the math. You may end up paying $500 or less for a brand new stove net net when you consider the additional savings on other parts of the project.

As far as the stove goes, you know the good brands and bad brands. I would buy something jacketed, that has close clearances and makes some convection heat. Shoot for something with a 1.8-2.0 cubic foot firebox. That will get you an overnight burn and if your daughter ever tries to sneak a boy over you can chop the boy up and get rid of the body in two reloads of the stove.

pen said:

pen

Pen, that's a damned good idea on the chimney, I'll get pics, inside & out.

I thank you:)

Franks said:
Id calculate what the chimney cost is and then do the 30% thing. If it costs ya $1000 for the chimley fluke without a dampner and you can save $300 by buying a qualifying stove...I guess my point is, you can find a decent EPA certified stove for under $1k pretty easily this time of year. Just do the math. You may end up paying $500 or less for a brand new stove net net when you consider the additional savings on other parts of the project.

As far as the stove goes, you know the good brands and bad brands. I would buy something jacketed, that has close clearances and makes some convection heat. Shoot for something with a 1.8-2.0 cubic foot firebox. That will get you an overnight burn and if your daughter ever tries to sneak a boy over you can chop the boy up and get rid of the body in two reloads of the stove.

Franks, I doubt the Mp would need alot of help, but she'd for sure have back up ;-)

I gotta get pics, I think that would help.

I knew immediately that it was the Darling Daughter. I suspect that she is the same one that is deploying to Iraq?

BrotherBart said:
I knew immediately that it was the Darling Daughter. I suspect that she is the same one that is deploying to Iraq?

Yeah, BB, that'd be the one, with Iraq a "?" at the moment >:-(

Current plan is to have one of my adoptive daughters & her husband move into the apartment, pay low rent, and they are willing to run the stove.

My other thought is to drain the heating system after Christmas, drain the water/shut off the valves to the apartment, and run the insert to heat the whole main house.

I shoulda got a stove :coolsmirk:

Put a stove in the corner of that living room. You are a wood burner. Just do it. If you lived closer I would give you the Jotul F100. Love the little sucker but dammit I want a steel stove down there.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrotherBart said:

Yeah, BB, that'd be the one, with Iraq a "?" at the moment >:-(

Current plan is to have one of my adoptive daughters & her husband move into the apartment, pay low rent, and they are willing to run the stove.

My other thought is to drain the heating system after Christmas, drain the water/shut off the valves to the apartment, and run the insert to heat the whole main house.

I shoulda got a stove :coolsmirk:

might check lowes to see if your local has a 50-snc13 (summers heat version of the 13-nc)in stock , they havent taken their host order yet (should be first couple weeks of july from what im hearing) they might just give you a deal on one if they have one in stock (epa stove so it qualifies for the credit) just to make room for the incoming host order. worth a look if you happen through there.

Not sure it's a great idea to put the chimney in and then shop for a stove. Clearances can mean a lot in terms of flue configuration, ease of cleaning. I'm a fan of choosing the stove first, then designing the rest of the installation, unless you have no combustibles to worry about, but I don't think that's the case here. An Englander 13 with a blower kit positioned to the left of the outside door (looking from the inside) of what you label the living room...along the wall, or over in the corner as BB suggested would seem to me to be a dang good bet. Gotta then put in the chimney so that you have a straight run from the stove to daylight, everything placed on an appropriately built hearth with proper clearances. Slam dunk. If you put a chimney in now, before you know the stove, you could find yourself needing to do some offsets which just make cleaning a bit more of a hassle. Rick

BrotherBart said:
Put a stove in the corner of that living room. You are a wood burner. Just do it. If you lived closer I would give you the Jotul F100. Love the little sucker but dammit I want a steel stove down there.

The original coal stove in the house when my Mom had it, was centered between the apartment door, and the windows, worked like a charm :)

I'm thinking between the back door and the kitchen window, or the connecting wall in the kitchen/dining area. Still a 1 story run. The apartment is on a slab, and both areas have laminate flooring, no biggie to build a hearth area.

Pondering a coal stove, back up heat to rise to the main floor.

Easy to build storage, same easy install, coal guy up the high way.

We botht have coal stove experience.

:ahhh:

Phase 1 is complete.

The electric hot water heater is in as of last night AND functioning :)

BeGreen said:
DD= dear dad? dear dog?

I'd think a small Woodstock or a PE T4 would handle this.

I thought it was Dearly Departed but I couldn't figure out why you'd want to keep them warm.

Something to think about would be a 13-NC. If you can use the tax credit then you would end up with $500 from overstockstoves.com delivered to a dock somewhere near you.

That efficiency number, 63%, seems low?

BB, I thank you for that link :)

Seems there's some oil on those wheels :)

I figure that the feed store that you keep in business has a dock. ;-)

BrotherBart said:
I figure that the feed store that you keep in business has a dock. ;-)

I have one at the shop *sweet smile*

Back up the "beast", insert stove, drive home, unload stove, and roll it in on a dolley.

Now, to learn about chimney materials(although I have a clue)... it'll be a straight run up, 1 roof to go through. 14' is the best, I believe? Correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.