My wife lit off last night, now she's a convert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
I didn't really want to light it off until I had finished moving arond the livingroom but my wife was cold (thermostat is set to 68F, outside was about 45F), so I agreed to a smallish fire. I figured the likelyhood of burning the house down was minimal, and I wanted to smoke test the stack anyway.

Now we didn't have the bottom heat shield on the stove (it's "in the mail", f'ing obidiahs), and so she volunteered her cooking sheets, which we put on bricks. I was concerned about the 18" of class A to the T, and then having ~10 inches of stovepipe into that, turned out 28" is actually fine for a horizontal run. The thing drafted on the first try. No backpuffing or whatever else.

Now, we had done ZERO wood prep. This is the stove with the refractory I rebuilt with rutlands for their moon tiles or whatever that's made out of. It also has a DOA catalyst, which I haven't replaced. (For good measure I put the catalyst, holes and all, back into place). The wood was soaked from the rains. We loaded it up with paper and lit it off. The paper burned and went out. I did it again. I did it a third time, finally I said to hell with it. Watching TV, the stove suddenly lit off, which I felt was strange but it's entirely possible the stove was simply warm enough to cause the wood to go up. This gives you some idea on the volume of paper I was burning.

The fire was basically one round maybe the size of my fist or a bit bigger, and a bunch of fingers under that. Just given that small load of wood, my wife had the place up to 80F in the span of about two hours. Even given the fact that the stove isn't nearly refurbished, it still puts out heat like a banshee.

Anyway, she's a convert, I'm sweating.

TODO: Yell at obadiahs to get me the bottom heat shield, start storing tonights wood indoors.

EDIT: Obadiahs got in touch with me and apologized, they also offered to refund me the shipping and put the price towards the difference.

You're getting a tiny taste of why the concerns about clearances. That stove has the potential to get very hot and is highly radiant.

Tiber,
I was the one "pushing" for a woodstove...Hubby was NOT enthusiastic....
We live in a home built in 1835 and it's a bear to heat; the gas company
throws a party every winter when our furnace kicks on the first time.
The woodstove helps keep the bill down---and guess who's the first one
toasting HIS toes in the rocking chair in front of the flames in the evening....
---I have a 'convert' at my house too! :)

Wow I had to actually google for your town, and I consider myself a seasoned PA traveller.

So who splits the wood? ;)

Ha Ha! Ya...if you blink while driving through town, you'll totally miss it!

Actually Hubby and eldest son (who also snuggles up to the warmth) usually chop the wood!
Son wants to STAY in shape and Hubby needs to GET in shape. I get the wood into the house and
keep the fires going and stove clean. :)

Wool spinner, my wife also brings the wood into the house, cleans around the stove and also takes care of the ashes. She used to help me a lot in the woods but no longer is physically able to do that. She also can run the stove pretty well (most of the time) but still has a few problems. She sometimes asks me to give the fire that "magic poke." I do and it starts; she shakes her head. lol

How do you guys keep the stove looking nice without repainting it? Any tips?

Don't overheat it.

No I mean it's got ash and whatnot all over the ash lip, etc. Seems like it needs a paint job but it's way late in for that. I saw another guy suggest seasoning it like a pan, but it seems like a waste of perfectly good bacon!

Tiber,
Our burner is only 2 years old so is still looking good---the ash/dust is just wiped off
once in awhile. If it isn't hot enough and the glass clouds up I'll use damp newspaper
on it. That's about all.

Dennis,
I enjoy chopping wood and did alot when I was growing up...but Hubby and I have
come to a agreement: He'll chop wood so I can take care of our apx. 17 loads of laundry every
week! Laundry isn't his 'cup of tea'! :)

ispinwool said:
Ha Ha! Ya...if you blink while driving through town, you'll totally miss it!

Actually Hubby and eldest son (who also snuggles up to the warmth) usually chop the wood!
Son wants to STAY in shape and Hubby needs to GET in shape. I get the wood into the house and
keep the fires going and stove clean. :)

Some friends of ours from Richmond moved to Zelienople last year, they bought a real cute house on Lindsay Road!

Status
Not open for further replies.