My wood is NEVER gonna dry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny Kate. I think we went to the Bend in the River golf course (mosquitos galore) and then had dinner at Saratoga Rose (I liked it when it was owned by previous couple). It was tan looking stuff, right? I'm always on the lookout for wood pile ideas when driving around. I've seen the osb before too when driving around. The plastic sheeting gets expensive after a while and it punctures easily.

I think you were on the other side of the river and south of me then---you'd find me heading out of Corinth up towards Luzerne on the east side. Never been to Saratoga Rose but have always heard good things about it.

I uncovered my wood for this week and that black rubber had gotten so hot underneath in the sun that there were condensation spots and one very large, very (thankfully dead) heat-exhausted spider on top. Hoping to score some scrap metal roofing from a neighbor this fall.

My boyfriend just rolls his eyes at me whenever we're driving anywhere---all I do is rubber-neck everybody's wood piles.

It will dry because we have days of no rain out here in New England!!!
Think the expected 5 days will do the trick on the amount I have that needs to dry out, and I can squeeze some fishing in too.

And yes I get picked on for my woodpile rubber necking too, by the BF and the kids.

Yes, this stuff was tan. It didn't blend in to my eye. I think black would be better, but it's all in the eye of the beholder I guess. I think the suggestion above of screwing the cover into the woodpile has potential.

I did get one of those Harbor Freight $20 moisture meters and checked my woodpile . It is all over 30% and did not even register on the meter. I did pay $250 /cord for seasoned wood. But it wasn't seasoned. When i commented to my woodseller that some of the ends of the splits looked that had just been cut...he said it had just been cut but the wood was cut a year ago and left in log length up til now. I know better about seasoned wood , but took a liking to this 18 Y.O. kid just starting out in business so i put up with the damp wood. Besides his cords were oversized and I'll move this stuff into my greenhouse and then rotate it to the house ..where i have a wood rack that holds 1/4 cord. More work for me but I consider it a dividend as this excercise is like banking good health.

It's hard to be an overweight wood burner

Status
Not open for further replies.