My wood is NEVER gonna dry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What kills you on EPDM is the shipping cost. The stuff weighs a lot. Over time though it costs less than tarps that only last a year because the wood pokes and wears holes in the things almost from the moment you put them on the top of the stacks. Get a hole in the EPDM? Two words: Tire Patch

A few around the Forum know that I bought a new 50' X 15' roll at a landscaper's bankruptcy auction for five bucks. I had been watching for the stuff for a long time and was the only bidder that knew what "pond liner" is. :coolgrin: Enough to cover around 12 cords.

I was bummed because I originally thought it was a 100' roll. :lol:

JPapiPE said:
Same stuff, only a little cheaper. Cost for 1'X10' is $4.80 / sq. foot, plus shipping. Works out to about the same price I quoted when one figures in shipping cost.
Ah, I misread "linear foot" as "square foot"... Still, I suppose $24 to cover a cord (5'x10') isn't awful, given that the stuff lasts forever.

I bought a new 50’ X 15’ roll at a landscaper’s bankruptcy auction for five bucks

That's excellent. :)

So Bart, what did you do...stack your wood to fit the cover of EPDM or cut the stuff, and make smaller piles...Like 7' wide?
I swear Bart could fall into a bucket of cowshit and come out smelling like a rose

What are you talking about Boy? You only got 6 posts on this forum and already you are talking subjects that even a cave man would know. Hell, even Hogzwildz would know this ...but he is rumored gone to ground...

Just kidding , all newbies are allowed to make several inane posts....Welcome to the club....Is it inane or insane? ...See how one letter can casitgate you?

P.S. All Retorts Welcome, except Brother Bart, he has been put on double secret probation for being too well prepared.

JPapiPE said:
Just kidding , all newbies are allowed to make several inane posts....Welcome to the club....Is it inane or insane? ...See how one letter can casitgate you?

Is it castigate or castrate?

The hell with tarps. This is my tarp. I'll have 7 cords stuffed into it before I'm done...all of it ready to burn now, but yes, this thing was built to breathe just fine. And I'll never have to go out and roll the top back with 8" of snow and ice on it to access my wood. I'll have another 3 cords under roof, and I'll have more elsewhere under tarps securely stapled to the wood that I shouldn't have to try to get to again until next summer. :coolgrin: Rick

Attachments

• tarp.jpg
    tarp.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 253
Post #99 Bart, we already have this information. Why don't you make yourself useful and tell us how you used your Discount E.P.D.M.? Did you aline your wood to fit the membrane, or cut the membrane to fit your piles?

Now Fossil, I don't know if you heard the new rules on this forum, but one can only brag about ones achievements:
1) if one has built the structure by himself
2) had his retainers build it under his tutelage
3) Or has been approved by Brother Bart

fossil said:
The hell with tarps. This is my tarp. I'll have 7 cords stuffed into it before I'm done...all of it ready to burn now, but yes, this thing was built to breathe just fine. And I'll never have to go out and roll the top back with 8" of snow and ice on it to access my wood. I'll have another 3 cords under roof, and I'll have more elsewhere under tarps securely stapled to the wood that I shouldn't have to try to get to again until next summer. :coolgrin: Rick

SHOW OFF! Maybe in a year or two I'll aspire to that. Thanks.

fossil said:

Worst case of tarp envy I have ever seen. :p

11 Bravo said:
...and FOSSIL..........that's just plain 'ole showing off.............

Well, yeah, I s'pose it is :red: , but then, a lot of that seems to go on around here. BTW, I'm curious (as a veteran of 30+ yrs of active duty in the Navy, just one of many vets here on the forum) about your screen name and your avatar. Please feel free to PM me if the spirit moves you. Rick

Why not carry your wood into the house and turn up the oil burner until the house is about 90 deg.

Run it that way for about two weeks and than leave it there until November when you put it in the stove.

Actually, that reminds me about something I wanted to ask...

Is there any benefit to having the next load of wood stacked right by the stove? Assuming not fully seasoned wood.. does it lose moisture to the air from the radiant heat? (enough in, say, a few hours, to make any difference to how it burns?)

Not really. If the wood is rain soaked, then it may dry off a bit. If it's not seasoned then that would be like having it outside in the summer for a few hours... takes 3 full seasons (spring, summer, fall) to season most wood.

gerry100 said:
Why not carry your wood into the house and turn up the oil burner until the house is about 90 deg.

Run it that way for about two weeks and than leave it there until November when you put it in the stove.

I'm thinking of building a huge Hotz Hausen with my pellet stove installed in the middle of it to dry the wood.

Dear Jerry 100, This is a most serious forum and as a junior member with only 34 posts you are not allowed to make jokes. This is a serious business here and the information that you receive here is worth countless dollars that otherwise would have to be gathered at Stove shops or sneeking around Master Wood Burners....such as the members of this forum. Please observe proper protocol and maintain respect with all your posts. We do welcome all newcomers but insist on a strict rule of honesty and real questions to be directed to this forum.
Most Sincerely Joe

I know it has been said alot but i cover mine up when it rains and un cover when there is sun. Gotta watch that weather alot. which brings me to my typing out loud thought that i need a wood shed!

Status
Not open for further replies.