My wood is NEVER gonna dry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
skinnykid said:
it was just hailing hardcore!!!! the lights where dimming out. It has lightened up some but the thunder is still shaking the ground!!!!

I think the wood burning gods HATE me.

no,no,no, its the bushs' making sure you have to use oil!!! they are keeping your wood wet as a promise to opec!

OK, lets give the only old guy on hearth.com that covers the tops of the stacks year round some more grief. 40 inches of rain this spring and summer and the stuff is dry as a bone. ;-P

Cover'em dudes and dudettes.

gotta go buy some of those camo tarps. I don't wanna use the blue ones.

Hey if I cover mine while wet (like they have been all summer) will they still dry?

and when you say cover the tops, like just the top?, no draping over the sides?

thanks

skinnykid said:

Hey if I cover mine while wet (like they have been all summer) will they still dry?

thanks

Very minimal draping over the sides, you still want the air to pass through and moisture to escape. The more it overhangs the more moisture will be trapped under the tarp when it does evaporate. I watch the weather and if it's going to be nice I pull the tarps off the stacks completely to really let the wood bake. As for tarps I found some green ones that are more pleasant on the eyes. Today for instance I got home in the morning and removed the tarps and this evening I covered them all again. Ten minutes later we had downpours again....guess I got lucky!

Gotta love New England. It's like we got 100 different microclimates around here. We had a ton of rain two weeks ago and my lawn is greener than last year, but still alot of brown. 20 miles away, they were having flash floods today. There was an awful tragedy in Ashland, NH due to the rain they had today. Heartfelt prayers to that family.

skinnykid said:

thanks

don't get ones with the reflective built in... sliver ones i believe... the darker the better because it will absorb heat and insulate....at least mine gets hot under there.... but i also have 5 gallon buckets to allow rain to drain off as well as let air under....put a pallet pn top then bucket in the middle tie tarp to pallet that should get you some air flow under the tarp...
and also the ole (i mean young man) was right!!!!!!! about covering wood this year..... i am glad i covered my wood before the monsoons started.......

BUT THE SUN IS OUT TODAY!!! NO RAIN......!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>running to go take off tarp!!!

I got brown HD tarps at HomeDepot they come 2 in a pack and are discounted as such. They are 12X16 so I'll have to fold them double. I think the double pak is only $12-$15 .And they are doing me a great deal of good sitting in my garage while the town washes away. Even L.L. Bean that stays open 24/7 365 days a year had to close many parts of their 2 million sq ft complex because of flooding and road washouts. No drinking water in those areas and Poland Spring of maine has offered to donate drinking water until the pipes get fixed. It's a nice gesture, but they need some good press after coming under fire for tapping into other states aquifers, and the amount of water per day that they plan to bottle is astronomical.

I think Brother Bart is basking in all his glory as his wood is always covered. Well done Bart

Rolled the cover back on the six one cord rows left from last year yesterday. Pain in the butt so I won't be doing that again this year.

Attachments

• six cords for 2009.jpg
    six cords for 2009.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 398
BrotherBart said:
Rolled the cover back on the six one cord rows left from last year yesterday. Pain in the butt so I won't be doing that again this year.

brother bart... you don't cover your sides right?
how many cords was that?

here is my set up
the row is pallets the go over 20ft right about 4ft high 2 rows
the other is a total of 20x12 the top is 8x12 with wood at 6.5 ft
the lower is 10x12 and what you can't see are the rows stacked 5.5 to 6 ft
don't ask how many cord I dunno its not very "pretty " stacked for accurate measure
my guess is somewhere between 6-8 including about a half of cord you can't see

Attachments

• wood 08.jpg
    wood 08.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 380
well I just got done splitting and stacking for this year. I hope i have enough!!!!

I am gonna pray for dry weather until at least I can get some good covers for my stacks.

iceman said:
how many cords was that?

It is six cords of oak. Each row 20' X 57" X 16-17". I cut, split and stacked it a year ago. Sides never covered. I lean the spare pallets againt the sides of the stacks come snow time. There are three more cords cut this year not in the picture. It would have been six more but it was cold and rainy until into June so I will finish it off in September and October. All of the next ones are 70' to 100' oaks and will have to be dropped. Pucker factor time.

skinnykid said:
well I just got done splitting and stacking for this year. I hope i have enough!!!!

I am gonna pray for dry weather until at least I can get some good covers for my stacks.

better pray hard and get your cover our forecast for tomorrow aft =rain next 5 outta 7days rain.... and you are not that far from here......hehehehehehehehe.........."our father ...."

BrotherBart said:
iceman said:
how many cords was that?

It is six cords of oak. Each row 20' X 57" X 16-17". I cut, split and stacked it a year ago. Sides never covered. I lean the spare pallets againt the sides of the stacks come snow time. There are three more cords cut this year not in the picture. It would have been six more but it was cold and rainy until into June so I will finish it off in September and October. All of the next ones are 70' to 100' oaks and will have to be dropped. Pucker factor time.

WOW!!! NO MORE SAID "MASTER BROTHERBART"

iceman said:
BrotherBart said:
iceman said:
how many cords was that?

WOW!!! NO MORE SAID "MASTER BROTHERBART"

Guess the master has another life other than the flame! Hearth can be a addiction thou!! Me included.Sat night and here i am!!!

stanleyjohn said:
Guess the master has another life other than the flame! Hearth can be a addiction thou!! Me included.Sat night and here i am!!!

Thirty years in IT and I never joined an online group. Found this place and was so amazed that there were so many other people crazy enough to do this wood burning stuff too that I just can't leave.

I always thought I was the only guy whose hobby was heating his house.

BrotherBart said:
stanleyjohn said:

Thirty years in IT and I never joined an online group. Found this place and was so amazed that there were so many other people crazy enough to do this wood burning stuff too that I just can't leave.

I always thought I was the only guy whose hobby was heating his house.

HI my name is iceman and i am addicted to burning wood!! geez that felt good!...... cmon guys your turn

stanleyjohn said:
...Sat night and here i am!!!

Yeah, but you're just plain weird, SJ...I'd never be caught dead here on Saturday night. :coolsmile: Rick

fossil said:
stanleyjohn said:
...Sat night and here i am!!!

Yeah, but you're just plain weird, SJ...I'd never be caught dead here on Saturday night. :coolsmile: Rick

Yeah!!! Where are u now :lol:

Well, it's 6:19 PM, and I'm taking a little break from splitting wood and stacking it my shed. Rick

fossil said:
Well, it's 6:19 PM, and I'm taking a little break from splitting wood and stacking it my shed. Rick
I just got home from getting another chain for my chainsaw!Tommorrow ill be putting it to work.Just A regular weekend!sunday its a BBQ

iceman said:
skinnykid said:

better pray hard and get your cover our forecast for tomorrow aft =rain next 5 outta 7days rain.... and you are not that far from here......hehehehehehehehe.........."our father ...."

Our father who are in heaven......

I can't decide if I wanna go with clear plastic to let the sunlight in. Black or dark color to attract sun and make heat or just go to walmart and get camo tarps....

Hey another question: my wood is stacked on palletts, the first 3 rows from the bottom up are covered in mud because of the recent pounding rains. So, how can I clean that up and prevent that again?

I said it before, i chose the wrong place to store my wood, under trees (little sun) and not where the breeze flows freely.
Yup, I am a DORK!!

skinnykid said:
iceman said:
skinnykid said:

I can't decide if I wanna go with clear plastic to let the sunlight in. Black or dark color to attract sun and make heat or just go to walmart and get camo tarps....

Hey another question: my wood is stacked on palletts, the first 3 rows from the bottom up are covered in mud because of the recent pounding rains. So, how can I clean that up and prevent that again?

I said it before, i chose the wrong place to store my wood, under trees (little sun) and not where the breeze flows freely.
Yup, I am a DORK!!

Hey!! Dont Knock yourself!Learn from miss stakes!trial and error.WE are all here to learn,share!and hopefully get it right.

stanleyjohn said:
skinnykid said:
iceman said:
skinnykid said:

Yup, I am a DORK!!

Hey!! Dont Knock yourself!Learn from miss stakes!trial and error.WE are all here to learn,share!and hopefully get it right.

YA, thanks.

skinnykid said:
...I can't decide if I wanna go with clear plastic to let the sunlight in. Black or dark color to attract sun and make heat or just go to walmart and get camo tarps....

Yer not a dork. The mud's just splash, right...not like a mudslide? Just hose it off, the wood'll dry and be cleaner to take into the house eventually. Lots of ways to prevent it from happening again, but one of the simplest might be to dump a bunch of bark or mulch or something there to keep the mud from splashing up onto your wood. Tarp color makes no difference...you're not trying to build a greenhouse, you just want to keep the drenching rain, and eventually the snow off your wood. Let it breathe the best you can (don't drape it down the sides)...and next year, stack it where it'll get some exposure to lots of sun and wind. Better yet, if you have such a place, move your wood now. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.