My wood shed project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Plus, he's probably surveying the mouse hunting potential of a covered woodpile.
Negative... if cats are like kids then I will say this, you got two types of kids, one type love to be outside and into everything, the other type are fine staying inside and playing video games all day... this cat loves playing video games.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Just 2 more, I want to have 8 cords ready to rock and roll, I'm also thinking of adding a 6ft in closed section to put the garbage cans in there, I keep them in the garage atm because we have beat issues here
That sounds like making a good situation even better. I'd want to do that as well, maybe even put in a small tool closet in that section for stuff like shovels, brooms, mauls axes, etc.

I think autocorrect struck again when you described your beat issues? If you meant beast, what beasts are getting in your garbage? Racoons, maybe? We have lots of them here.

Negative... if cats are like kids then I will say this, you got two types of kids, one type love to be outside and into everything, the other type are fine staying inside and playing video games all day... this cat loves playing video games.

So very true . . . all but one of my cats loves to be outdoors all day long (well outdoors in Catcatraz) . . . Harry S Truman however can almost always be found indoors lounging around somewhere.

So very true . . . all but one of my cats loves to be outdoors all day long (well outdoors in Catcatraz) . . . Harry S Truman however can almost always be found indoors lounging around somewhere.
He'll go outside and run around but generally stays with in 100ft radius of were I am at all times, he does like collecting leaves and rocks for some reason, he also likes going to the neighbors to chill, he's not an ordinary cat but he's mine and he's actually really good, just a little lazy for a 1 year old cat

Reactions: firefighterjake
That sounds like making a good situation even better. I'd want to do that as well, maybe even put in a small tool closet in that section for stuff like shovels, brooms, mauls axes, etc.

I think autocorrect struck again when you described your beat issues? If you meant beast, what beasts are getting in your garbage? Racoons, maybe? We have lots of them here.
Yes auto correct struck again... we have a huge black bear problem up here

Bear didn't even come to mind! Definitely a good idea. Be careful if you store your cracked corn outside in a plastic tote to hide your cash in. It might get damp and aromatic and attract the bears.

Bear didn't even come to mind! Definitely a good idea. Be careful if you store your cracked corn outside in a plastic tote to hide your cash in. It might get damp and aromatic and attract the bears.
Lol... up in nnj we just give our cash to the local governments for safe keeping

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000

My cats are pussies (pun intended) and definitely video game cats.

I wouldn't know what to do If i came across a bear in my yard. Thankfully we don't have them here.:eek:

My cats are pussies (pun intended) and definitely video game cats.

I wouldn't know what to do If i came across a bear in my yard. Thankfully we don't have them here.:eek:

If I saw a bear in Kansas I would call the nearest zoo!

IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0269.JPG
Feeling a little more confident in measuring and using power tools I was able to notch out a 4x6 to make a 3 way joint so I can make my L turn with the roof header and still have everything line up.
Didn't get as much done as I would have liked to due to rainy weather this week but still getting some done.

IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG
The idea with the notch is to leave some meat in the 4x6 so I can drill the headers and post and make a solid anchor point... not bad for some driveway engineering... cat approves to

Reactions: Lone_Gun
IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0283.JPG
Was able to put in about 6 hrs in today, was hot and humid, of course the only part of the driveway that's still full sun was were I was working.
Hopefully I'll be finished up tomorrow

Dang dude, those sheds are worthy of the Wrigley Field yard. Nice work on both accounts.

IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0289.JPG
85 deg with high humidity today, was able to get the roof rafters up, the sun drained me out pretty good again.. but I should be able to button this up this week after work!!!
Can't wait to get it loaded up!

85 deg with high humidity today, was able to get the roof rafters up, the sun drained me out pretty good again.. but I should be able to button this up this week after work!!!
Can't wait to get it loaded up!
Wow, very nice. If we get everything settled and know we are staying around longer I need to make something like that. How much did it cost you for the whole project?

I didn't get quite as much done in that heat+humidity today... I worked on some nasty sycamore rounds and got less than 1/4 cord in 3 hours :mad:. That was with an wedge+8lb sledge and eventually Husky 450...

Looking forward to some more fall weather soon.

kenny what is the roof that you are using?
Ondura Roofing from Lowes home center. I do have to say that the roofing seemed a little flimsy, but once you mount it on the perlins and nail it as the manufacture suggests it stiffens up great, its actually a dream to work with.

Wow, very nice. If we get everything settled and know we are staying around longer I need to make something like that. How much did it cost you for the whole project?

I didn't get quite as much done in that heat+humidity today... I worked on some nasty sycamore rounds and got less than 1/4 cord in 3 hours :mad:. That was with an wedge+8lb sledge and eventually Husky 450...

Looking forward to some more fall weather soon.
I'm about $1,200.00 into this.

Holy cow, see what I miss when I'm doing other stuff??!! This is fantastic. How are the rest of us mere mortals supposed to compete? This is somewhat analogous to Wes Montgomery showing up at the local open stage...

Well the shed is done, apperntly the bad luck technology lightening bolt struck again, suddenly my pics on my phone that I have been using are to large to upload, so just close your eyes, imagine a L shaped shed with a red roof loaded with 8 cords on wood, 7 normal cords and I made a bin for approx 1 cord of uglies / mis matched sizes.
It's extremely awesome and thank you for everyone that said helpful things along the way.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Im bumping this because this shed cons is a proven winner, no settlement, no bowing, at one point there was 3ft of wet snow on the roof.

Reactions: Soundchasm
really nice job. I really need to get a shed built for my wood, but first i need to take care of some other projects. I can keep about 2 cord dryish under our awning for the season, but it would be nice to be able to stack a bit taller and keep it organized!

I've finally got sick and tired of the constant struggle of dealing with tarps and have messy wood piles, so I've embarked on a woodshed building mission, this is pic heavy and I hope you all enjoy it
You won’t regret building it one bit. Ever.