My Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davmor

Oct 24, 2010
Northern Michigan
I have been lurking here for awhile and have been enjoying all the topics. Been burning wood for about 30 years. Here is a picture of my wood shed design holds about 6 cords of Northern Michigans finest. I cut on my land 20 acres of private land my neighbor so kindly lets me cut on, and state land which is all around me. Dave.

Attachments

• 034-1.jpg
    034-1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,704
Love it! Looks great.

Welcome.

What do you put on the 3 hooks? Flower baskets? Bird Feeders?

Thats alot of weight on floors - what did you use for the flooring?

The hooks are for hanging baskets, wind chimes, or hummingbird feeders. The floor is made up of 2x4 joists with 2x4s laid on top spaced apart for air circulation. I used premade concrete footings on large patio blocks underneath for support . Has held up for many years of use. I have had about 3 feet of snow on it at times. Dave.

Looks Awesome Dave, but don't sell yourself short, most dealers I've seen would call that 10 cords ;-P

Thats funny but that wood is too dry for most dealers.

You guys and your pretty woodsheds..... I only wish my run down wood shed looked that good... A man can dream.... see my home made, recycled pallet woodshed below.

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,429
Hey if it works and you like it nothing else matters. Good job on the recycling. Looks fine to me. Dave.

Awesome looking shed.
Being full is even "Awesomer"
Great picture

Nice shed and spot in the woods.

Dave, that does look very nice.

Dave, I like the simple design. How did you support the roof? Is there a center section?

Thanks for all the compliments. I wanted something that would hold about 2 years worth of wood, its nice not having to deal with tarps. The roof is just a simple stick framed roof with a ridge beam. It is only made of 2x4 lumber and 1x3 strapping but has proved to be very strong. I enjoy coming to this place, I use to think I was the only one that liked cutting splitting stacking and burning wood. My friends and neihgbors think I'm crazy but thats okay I know I'm doing right. I do agree with everyone here wood should be seasoned at least 2 years, been doing it for years. Dave.

Looks good Davmor . . .

And Shawneyboy . . . it may not look as pretty as Davmoor's shed . . . but this is a case of function over form . . . as long as it keeps the snow, ice and water off your wood it's working and working well.

firefighterjake said:
Looks good Davmor . . .

And Shawneyboy . . . it may not look as pretty as Davmoor's shed . . . but this is a case of function over form . . . as long as it keeps the snow, ice and water off your wood it's working and working well.

Yes sir I agree function over form as opposed to form over function. My wife has some smart ass comments on the wood shed, until I reminder her of the cost !!! LOL

I will eventually build a pretty shed. I have saved some of the "pretty shed" pics to disect and come up with a plan on the new shed I will build. Many good ideas out there.

davmor said:
Thanks for all the compliments. I wanted something that would hold about 2 years worth of wood, its nice not having to deal with tarps. The roof is just a simple stick framed roof with a ridge beam. It is only made of 2x4 lumber and 1x3 strapping but has proved to be very strong. I enjoy coming to this place, I use to think I was the only one that liked cutting splitting stacking and burning wood. My friends and neihgbors think I'm crazy but thats okay I know I'm doing right. I do agree with everyone here wood should be seasoned at least 2 years, been doing it for years. Dave.

Dave, I know of a few people who heat with wood and still complain about all the work but generally most folks, I think, who burn wood also enjoy putting it up. Your friends and neighbors may think you are crazy but I doubt you'll find anyone on this site who will think that. Well, maybe a few. I've taken a lot of ribbing about some of my big wood stacks and splitting but it is all in fun. Well, mostly all.... Just be aware you are amongst friends here.

Shawneyboy, I agree with function over form, but if it turns out looking good then that is a bonus. It's not like we are building grandfather clocks.
Dennis, Thanks for the kind words. Dave.

davmor said:
Shawneyboy, I agree with function over form, but if it turns out looking good then that is a bonus. It's not like we are building grandfather clocks.
Dennis, Thanks for the kind words. Dave.

Most definately, I only hope when I get my larger, better wood shed built it can only look 1/10th as good as some of the ones I have seen, including yours !!!

Backwoods Savage said:
davmor said:

Dave, I know of a few people who heat with wood and still complain about all the work but generally most folks, I think, who burn wood also enjoy putting it up. Your friends and neighbors may think you are crazy but I doubt you'll find anyone on this site who will think that. Well, maybe a few. I've taken a lot of ribbing about some of my big wood stacks and splitting but it is all in fun. Well, mostly all.... Just be aware you are amongst friends here.

Working with my wood is one of my more pleasant and enjoyable tasks . . . heck I think of it as playtime instead of work.

For the record, Dave, Dennis is crazy as can be evidenced by his insistence on only splitting wood vertically . . . of course he says I am certifiable for refusing to split wood any way other than horizontally. ;) :)

davmor said:

I don't think you're I don't think you're I don't think you're I don't think you're I don't think you're odd at all!
NNNNNNice shed. :)

Thanks Maplewood. You know what the heck with them if they can't take a joke. :) . Dave.

nice looking shed Dave and Shawn but heres a pretty one

Attachments

• SDC10080.jpg
    SDC10080.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 583
cptoneleg said:
nice looking shed Dave and Shawn but heres a pretty one

Our sheds are related !!!!!

I hope I can figure out how to post a picture on this forum. I built something similiar back in 2009. NOt as big as yours, but on the same order. I know have 4 of these units. Having the roof over them but with the open sides for sunlight and wind/air movement makes for good wood drying. I am in awe of your bigger version. I might try to build a bigger one this next spring. I am also in Michigan.

Dave

lily09173-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.