Name that woodstove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mvortex1

Nov 14, 2017
Valley Forge
20171114_190730.jpg 20171114_190738.jpg

Here is what I wanted to post. Thanks for the advice so far.

Moved into a 3000 SF house with a woodstove included in the deal. It's pretty, it's big, it's a mystery. I looked all over the unit and can find no markings to indicate the make or model. I found a recipt from a company that installed the insert around the stove and they indicated it was a "Quaker Moravian". So I searched the forums and wow...Hearth.Com already had a thread.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/does-anyone-know-what-i-have.137391/

However.......

The above thread appears to be focused on how to legally connect the posters stove and units like it to a chimney flue. Mine is connected to a liner, I see the bottom of the liner coming through the wood box and the top of the liner smiling at me through my chimney cap while I try to ignore the ground 25' below.

What I'm getting at is two-fold, does everyone agree from the pics that I also am blessed with a Quaker wood stove? More importantly, it's not exactly an all night burner. Not even close. The top loader can't accomodate large pieces of quailty rounds of good and super hard wood stock. This leaves me to open the front doors which dumps coals onto the front plate as well as opening me to nagging from a household of fire-saftey experts. The bottom appears to have a "vent" and the previous homeowners (or someone) placed a blower underneath with all kinds of really cool exposed wires to knock the first unsuspecting person straight on their ass.

Any comments, musings, anecdotes to dissaude or otherwise persaude me from replacing this with a stove that can keep up with my very missed and beloved Sierrra side-door master blaster?

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, what is that little vent at the very top? Why at the top? Is it to get the fire hotter or reduce the airflow at the bottom to cool down the stove?

Also, what is that little vent at the very top? Why at the top? Is it to get the fire hotter or reduce the airflow at the bottom to cool down the stove?
I would have to see inside to be sure but it looks like a coal stove to me. That top inlet is to introduce fresh air to burn off coal gass and to control draft.

in all the years i have been part of this forum i have never seen anything that looks even close. nice looking. the mantle fits that setup.

in all the years i have been part of this forum i have never seen anything that looks even close. nice looking. the mantle fits that setup.
Yes nice looking and i have never seen one but i am 95% sure it is a coal stove

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, much appreciated. We moved into a fairly large house that's a bit more than I wanted to spend and I hope we can stay afloat by keeping self sufficient and keeping my saws and splitter well maintenanced. My two girls and pup love the heat, first they've ever experienced. I posted the original text in my initial post but that somehow was left out. As requested, here is another pic of the inside view. If this is a coal stove, I will keep this where it is and put a thimble through the wall on the other side of the house and install something much bgetter to suppliment. I found the cord is missing on the top door and replaced it. Several very large rounds of hickory were placed inside around 10pm, by 5:30am the stove was cold. I need to find something else.

20171116_182653.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaaaaannd...looks like a coal stove. I just discovered Google. Did anyone here ever hear of Google? Sounds fake to me. The really strange part here is that I see NO evidence of anyone having coal delivered here. You can usually tell, my last house had a coal chute going through the side wall. Even the hearth is setup in this house to store wood through the outside but maybe it is also for coal...hmmmmm

Aaaaaannd...looks like a coal stove. I just discovered Google. Did anyone here ever hear of Google? Sounds fake to me. The really strange part here is that I see NO evidence of anyone having coal delivered here. You can usually tell, my last house had a coal chute going through the side wall. Even the hearth is setup in this house to store wood through the outside but maybe it is also for coal...hmmmmm
Yes coal stove no question. What chimney is this run through and how is it hooked to it

Yes coal stove no question. What chimney is this run through and how is it hooked to it
It's tucked into a masonry FP, hooked up to a liner that goes all the way up through a complete chimney and connects out to a cap at the top. Chimney and liner is about 25' high. The chimney is isolated away from the main house between a vaulted room connecting the house to a large garage.

Thanks again for the help! Love this site...

Attachments

• 20171116_194333.jpg
    20171116_194333.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 20171116_194405.jpg
    20171116_194405.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
It's tucked into a masonry FP, hooked up to a liner that goes all the way up through a complete chimney and connects out to a cap at the top. Chimney and liner is about 25' high. The chimney is isolated away from the main house between a vaulted room connecting the house to a large garage.

Thanks again for the help! Love this site...
Well atleast it is hooked up right