Name this leaf.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gotboostido

Jun 23, 2008
south shore, ma
Hey everyone. I have a massive tree in the back yard. And I'm planning on pruning the bottom three limbs So I've narrowed this leaf down to two choices. Pin oak or a scarlet oak. Although im leaning to scarlet oak. Does anyone know for sure.

Attachments

• 20171001_203242_resized (1).jpg
    20171001_203242_resized (1).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 226
It looks like oak, but I don't know about those spiney things. So I don't know.

You can't tell those two species apart from just a leaf, typically. A massive yard tree sounds like a Pin Oak, but that isn't proof. It doesn't really matter as far as firewood goes, since they would both be similar to Red Oak.

Reactions: TedyOH
Pin or Scarlet, hard to tell from just one leaf.
Leaning toward Scarlet by looking at that one basal lobe. Pin tends to have a slight recurve.

Last edited:
Scarlet Oak.
But check the bottom of the acorn like CincyBurner said for the concentric rings

Reactions: TreePointer
I'd call some pretty nice btu's.
;)

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk