Name this stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jp savage

Dec 31, 2009
Michigan
I just purchased this stove. I thaught it was a Fisher, but I now know it is not, or at least I don't think it is. It has duel blowers, that atach to a square tube on the back. There is one pipe connecting to 3 in the top of the stove. They blow the hot air out the front, almost like a larg heat reclaimer. The blowers also have a thermostat, it dosn't work, but the blowers do, just have to wire them direct. There is a automatic damper door on the left side as you are faceing the stove. This is opperated by a heat sensitive spring, as it heats up the spring closes the damper door. I hope I didn't get taken to the cleaners. I want a PE Alderlea T6, but money is tight. Can anyone help me on this? I realy would appreciate it.

Attachments

• PICT0021a.bmp
    549.4 KB · Views: 519
Never seen a Fisher clone with a bimetallic spring air damper before. That stove should clean up nicely with some sanding and painting. Really you could name it whatever you want, the manufacture who made it probably has gone out of business or sold to another business by now. See if it has a UL plate on it, if not I would check with your insurance company to see if they will cover you or not, that should list your clearances as well.

Almost looks home made. Back in the 70's, when that stove was probably built, a lot of small metal shops started making stoves. If there is a tag on the stove, tell us what it says. If not, it's gonna do the job for you. Just keep a close eye on the chimney for creosote. As Mellow said, get a permit if it's required in your neck of the woods and check with your insurance company for coverage.

Ya I thaught it looked home made as well. Some of the welds look a little boogery. I figured after I cleaned it up I would touch up any questionable welds. I can't find any tags on it. The guy I baught it from used it to heat his garage. Do you think I should just clean it up and resell it?

Skippy

jp savage said:
Ya I thaught it looked home made as well. Some of the welds look a little boogery. I figured after I cleaned it up I would touch up any questionable welds. I can't find any tags on it. The guy I baught it from used it to heat his garage. Do you think I should just clean it up and resell it?

Well, clean it up. If you can sell it say for $300, you can buy a lower end/priced stove like an Englander for about $1000 and get the tax credit. Lot's of folks on these forums with Englander stoves that are very happy with them. Your net outlay for a new stove would be 400 bucks or so and you would be way ahead of the game

I wish I found this forum before I wasted $370.00 on that thing. I was affraid I was going to hear that. Well live and learn. I will clean it up and resell it. I might be able to find someone to put it in their shop.

Thank you all for the help

Just chalk it up as a lesson learned, we all gotta start somewhere. Most of us have come from operating stoves like that and through this helpful forum have learned how to burn correctly and safely with newer safer stoves.

Clean it up and paint it with some high temp paint from Lowes or HD, check out the welds before doing that and fix them up then throw it back up on CL, you might come out ahead.

Just for good karma list it as a good garage stove.

I have seen some old steel stoves like that go as high as 600 on Craigs list. If you clean it up you might make a 100 bucks on it.

Todd said:
I have seen some old steel stoves like that go as high as 600 on Craigs list. If you clean it up you might make a 100 bucks on it.

Thats a good point. Go for it, maybe make a buck

Todd said:

I agree. I have seen a LOT of questionable stoves with ridiculous price tags. I've even contacted a few of them out of curiosity and the stoves were sold by the time they got back to me.

Clean it up, repaint it, and put it on CraigsList. If people are selling a Hearthstone I for $1200 and rusted Franklin Stoves for $700 than you should be able to at least make your money back on this stove.

Thanks everyone, I think I just sold it to a friend for what I have in to it. I am going to go through it and clean it up and touch up a few welds.

Looks like I will go with that PE that I wanted, just have to quit smokeing and save my pennys. This gives me time to build my chimney and hearth. Plus cut and stack some more wood. It will be late spring or next fall by the time it is in. But I will continue to hang out here and get some more advise and see what others are doing.

Good call JP. You will be a lot more satisfied with the new T6 for many years to come. Glad it worked out ok for you in the end.

PS: Quitting smoking may be one of the best decisions of your life. Congratulations.

I would have named it "Rusty". Or maybe "Smokey".

I was gonna say Lucille :)

"Anything so innocent and built like that just gotta be named Lucille"

Congrats on quitting smoking given that your health will be much better and you will save at least $6 a pack so according to my math is $180 a month and in a year it will be over $2000 a year so you will have the $$$$ for the PE in short order and smoking will be a memory. IF I could do it without drugs or Nicogum then you can do it believe me.

:cheese: To tell you the truth I was spending $3458.00 a year in those stinking things. I wil be a prick for about a week but it's for the better. Besides I want that T6 more than lung cancer, and the way our dollar is going, it's better to spend my cigetett money on food, ammo, and gas for my chain saws.

jp savage said:
:cheese: To tell you the truth I was spending $3458.00 a year in those stinking things. I wil be a prick for about a week but it's for the better. Besides I want that T6 more than lung cancer, and the way our dollar is going, it's better to spend my cigetett money on food, ammo, and gas for my chain saws.

I quit March 10 of 2008. As the joke goes, quitting smoking is the easiest thing anyone can do, hell I've done it 1000 times! After my upteenth try, I decided to drop the cash on using Chantix. At about 120 bux a month, it's still cheaper than smoking. I only used it for about 2 months and the side effects got me to quit it early. Not saying it's cheap or comfortable, but w/out it I would still be smoking as I just could not handle it on my own.

Best of luck on all fronts and happy 2010

pen

It is not easy, I quit for the second and last time April 11,1983, and have not smoked anything legal since then. You can do it if I did it, so just get it done and get your T6 and as it keeps you warm know it is keeping you alive longer by not smoking.
Best of luck and let us see the new stove!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.