Napolean 1402 Fan Inop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ted13b

Dec 11, 2011
Boston
My house came with a Naoplean 1402 fireplace insert. The fan worked when I looked at the house, but wasn't working after I moved in. I imagine it's either the on/off fan speed swith, or the thermal switch that doesn't allow it to kick on till the fireplace heats up. How do I get this thing apart to check the motor out? I found a manual on line and it refers to removing two screws, but I don't see them.

Kinda odd that both fans went U have two fans one on both sides of that insert. Ull have to get a 1/4 inch socket and extention to remove the two hex heads that hold the outer cage on. Most of the time the screws are covered in dust and are hard to see . Get a flash light and look towards the top

I would say it is the thermal "snap" switch that either needs cleaning or replacement. I am pretty sure it is on the right hand side as you look at the stove, there are two screws that hold on the cover over the fan and you should be able to see all the wiring ect. with that cover off.

OK, I got everything apart, they do hide those little screws well! I tried jumping the snap switch, but no joy. I'm going to take another look at it tonight. I'm assuming that if it's not the snap switch then it must be in the rheostat.

Well, I checked for voltage at the rheostat, the snap switch and the fan motor. I have voltage all the way to the fan motor, and the fan turns freely by hand, but won't spin with the power on...strange. I would think that the motor was junk, but I doubt that both motor failed at the same time. Time to take a break..

Status
Not open for further replies.