Napoleon Torch needs a thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Japery

Dec 4, 2015
Seattle
Hi, there new to the forums and gas fireplace installation. Here's a question for the electricians out there:

Any fireplace used as a solitary heat source for my upstairs master bedroom must be operated by a thermostat per local codes, according to the inspector who's going to sign off on it. My Napoleon Torch comes with a switch, but no thermostat, so I'm going to wire one into the switch and mount it on the wall and void the warranty.

Any advice on the proper Honeywell thermostat? Just looking for something simpole I can set at 70 and leave to be. I'll even use an old mercury dial if that's all it takes.

My room is only 11x15 with 8-11' ceolings. I'll put a fan in there for circulation.

Your install manual will specify which type of t-stat is required.. It could be a millivolt DC or a 24 volt AC,
or some other type. ANY t-stat that meets the specified requirements will probably work, regardless of
who manufactured it.

Your install manual will specify which type of t-stat is required.. It could be a millivolt DC or a 24 volt AC,
or some other type. ANY t-stat that meets the specified requirements will probably work, regardless of
who manufactured it.

Thx for the reply! Thing is, the warranty is voided if I use a thermostat. The manual won't specify (unless it does so implicitly by way of mentioning the spec for a different reason). I don't care about the warranty (I'll take my chamcrs) since I want it to pass inspection as the sole heat source in the bedroom.

I'm going to wire in the thermo and bypass the factory switch.

I don't see why a t-stat will void the warranty. A t-stat is a switch. It turns the unit on & off.
I will admit that I didn't read your install manual, tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.