Napoleon wood burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mpearce28

Apr 13, 2020
Montville ohio
I can really use someone help I’m stumped. I put a Napoleon wood burner in my house down in the basement next to my furnace. I want to rig something up to get heat strait into my duck work and not sure how. I’ve been doing a lot of research some people say you can’t do it some people say you can. The guy that installed my wood burner said to just close the door to the room when your burning and just turn on your blower. Well that’s not working at all. Here’s what I got to work with. Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• 88CEDC9D-0ADA-4F96-8033-9148285DD82E.jpeg
    88CEDC9D-0ADA-4F96-8033-9148285DD82E.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 228
This is a wood stove. It is illegal to duct it and against code to have a return within 10ft. If you want a wood heater to duct into the main system you need a proper wood furnace.

Where is the stairwell in relation to the stove location? A sketch of the 1st-floor plan showing the basement stairs and stove location could be helpful.

Last edited:
This is a wood stove. It is illegal to duct it and against code to have a return within 10ft. If you want a wood heater to duct into the main system you need a proper wood furnace.

Where is the stairwell in relation to the stove location? A sketch of the 1st-floor plan showing the basement stairs and stove location could be helpful.
The stove isn’t close to the stairwell. Only thing I could think to do is cut a hole in the main floor to get the heat upstairs

Truth be told, this is not the best-planned installation. If you do choose to cut a hole it will need to be large and really should have a fusible-link damper. Atlanta Supply has some good floor registers and the fire dampers. The air pathway from the stairwell should be left open for cooler air to descend and return back to the stove again.

I currently have 1 approx 8x12 register located about 10 feet away from my wood stove. There is a small (?80 cfm?) box fan that is positioned to blow the warm air up through the register into our main floor living room. It makes a noticeable difference. If your stove is in its own room or you can locate the fan closer to the stove it would help even more.

No disrespect meant, but just because something is against code doesn't mean it can't be done or won't work. However, it is at your own risk and will not pass a home inspection/insurance requirements. The floor register is the best way.

If the intent is to naturally convect the heat from the stove to upstairs then a much larger opening will be required. The fire damper is more than just code. Like smoke and CO detectors, it's cheap insurance to buy your family time to escape in the event of a fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mpearce28
If I were you I would purchase an add on wood furnace like a fire chief they now have secondary burn.

Reactions: Mpearce28
what is the purpose of the wood stove? back up heat? main heat? supplemental heat?

what is the purpose of the wood stove? back up heat? main heat? supplemental heat?
I’m wanting to use it for main heat. The guy told me that installed it said when I heat up the room it’s in just turn on the blower from my furnace and with take it through out the house. But that’s not working.

If you want it for main heat, I would suggest getting a wood furnace.

Reactions: andym
If you want it for main heat, I would suggest getting a wood furnace.
Ok thank you. I got the guy that installed it coming over tomorrow I’ll tell him. I paid him $4200 to get heat in my house and doesn’t even work. I’m new burning wood and didn’t have time when I got it to do research so think he just jerked me around but I don’t know.

• Sad
Reactions: andym
I currently have 1 approx 8x12 register located about 10 feet away from my wood stove. There is a small (?80 cfm?) box fan that is positioned to blow the warm air up through the register into our main floor living room. It makes a noticeable difference. If your stove is in its own room or you can locate the fan closer to the stove it would help even more.

No disrespect meant, but just because something is against code doesn't mean it can't be done or won't work. However, it is at your own risk and will not pass a home inspection/insurance requirements. The floor register is the best way.

That’s what I’m kinda leaning towards. Thank you for your input I appreciate it.

Is that a Napoleon 1900 by chance?

If I were you I would purchase an add on wood furnace like a fire chief they now have secondary burn.
As a public service the Hearth community...PLEASE research any modern Fire Chief or Shelter furnace here before you buy one!

Last edited: