Nashua stove and piping question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rippinryno

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2015
united states
So, my first question is, can you put double wall backwards through wall or does it matter? My 2nd question is, where the heck is the water coming from!

On my stove, the pipe comes up about 5ft then goes out through a wall and then back up to the cap. We got some snow so at first i thought the water was coming in from snowmelt. Well last evening I fired it up and noticed a drip right after the double wall where the adapter goes into my single wall inside the building. It is not coming through the construction or thimble, it appears to be coming from inside the double wall and then it's leaking at the connecton causing it to drip on the floor (or the bucket that i now have in place).

Do i need to use sealant on all of my connections outside to prevent this.

Next question....can you run double wall pipe backwards when going through aw all? I have mine going in what i thought was the correct direction but am not positive, they say there should be an arrow on it, but i can't find one.

thank you in advance guys. Also, this little stove is mighty! it heats an uninsulated garage very quickly and with the built in blower it's amazing!

One last thing, how hot can double wall get while going through the wall? i know this is common but have trouble finding a definitive answer on here. I have a laser temp guage that i shoot at the double wall and after a long day of ripping with some hot coles the double wall is near 200 degrees going into the wall, now of course the outside is barely warm to the touch.

thanks.

stove_zpsvam198xd.jpg
stove1_zpssv3xnw4n.jpg

stove_zpsc8au5paf.jpg

Last edited:
This is a completely illegal and unsafe chimney install. Stove pipe can not be used through the wall or outside. This needs to be replaced with class A chimney pipe with a class A tee, and a class A thimble + short class A connector pipe through the wall. There will be a storm collar on the thimble that gets sealed with silicone adhesive. This should make for a leak free installation.

Also, you might want to check with your insurance company and the local inspecting authority regarding having a wood stove in a garage. It is not legal in many jurisdictions.

duratech wall thimble2.JPG Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 12.44.10 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
The through wall is a class a triple wall pipe. The black pipe is legal outside as well as inside with 24" clearance on the inside. It is also legal to heat my garage here the entire town does it. The storm collar is there with the thimble and is caulked in. Sorry I kept referring to it as double wall. It is a through wall class a Ul listed

Last edited:
The through wall is a class a triple wall pipe. The black pipe is legal outside as well as inside with 24" clearance on the inside. It is also legal to heat my garage here the entire town does it. The storm collar is there with the thimble and is caulked in.
Ok where do you live to my knowledge there is nowhere in the states that allows for black pipe outside. Also nowhere to my knowledge that requires 24" to combustibles from single wall pipe it is 18". As far as the wood stove in garages thing it is against code in most areas but really the big problem comes from your insurance most don't allow it and if they find out they can and very well may drop you. Just because most do it does not mean that it is safe or that it passes code.

He is in Illinois.

Ok thanks I have 2 sections of black double wall
double wall stove pipe or insulated class a chimney pipe? Double wall stove pipe does not meet the requirement for chimney

DV_Product__DVL.jpg

That's misleading they call it chimney stove pipe lol. What do I need for outside? I've been told double wall
To better understand proper installation methods download the installation manual from DureaVent's literature section for installing a chimney.
http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L150_W.pdf
also read this article:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/chimney-passing-a-chimney-through-the-wall.147754/
Stove pipe (double or single wall) can only be used in the interior of the room. It connects the stove to the chimney.
double-wall connector.png

I am amazed at how much black pipes see regularly outside of buildings.
I'm amazed at how much I see people speeding. Just today I saw a woman on our local rural roads flying along at what was at least 60mph on a 35mph road. Can't say when there will be a bicyclist, pedestrian, ice patch, deer or other accident waiting for her, but it is likely to happen eventually at that speed.

How would one know when this is an illegal installation? Call the pipe manufacturer tech support and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.