Nc-30 bad welds. Fix or exchange?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EricFromMich

Oct 26, 2015
gladwin,mi
If i can get some opinions on what would you do. I have a englander nc-30 that has some bad welds. When the rear heat shield was attached they got a little hot and came threw the rear of the fire box. The stove was bought threw lowes couple years ago, but is new and just finished installing the cramic on the pad. Englander gave me two options 1. Have someone fix it and they will reimburse me. 2. I get it too their distribution center and they will exchange it.

I feel i found a good onsite welder which, said he feels like he can fix it and it should be fine. But i worry about the 2 other welds i can't see and feel like it should not of passed inspection.

It will not be easy to load and unload the stove if i decide to exchange it. But I'm sure i can figure it out. I just want to be safe and not have to worry about weak spots and problems down the road.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• 20181114_152230.jpg
    20181114_152230.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 328
  • 20181114_152241.jpg
    20181114_152241.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 20181114_153032.jpg
    20181114_153032.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 341
My vote would be to exchange. Like you said what's the others look like you cant see...

Exchange

You deserve a new stove - that's what you bought. It is a pain that you have to exchange it, but that's what I would do.

It will be work to move the heavy beast, but peace of mind with a hot fire burning in your home is worth the hassle of exchange.

Reactions: Chas0218
Another vote for exchanging the stove.

Reactions: Highbeam
Thanks for the input. That was the way i was leaning. Just pisses me off i paid for delivery and now i got to move it twice.Just dont get how it was not caught at the factory. It is my fault for not catching it sooner. I did look it over when it got delivered. But didn't do what my wife teases me for doing. She calls it checking the stitching.

Thank you guys. This fourm has been allot of help. Ive been learking in the shadows for years. Sadly this had to be my first post.

Last edited:
I see the bricks are removed. Could this problem have been observed with bricks in place? I don’t remove bricks for the sake of checking things. Heck, I’ve never had the bricks out of my nc30 or the princess.

These stoves are cranked out fast with robotic welding, bending, and cutting. If one stove turned out bad you can bet a whole bunch made it off the line bad too. Hope they noticed quickly!

Reactions: EricFromMich
I see the bricks are removed. Could this problem have been observed with bricks in place? I don’t remove bricks for the sake of checking things. Heck, I’ve never had the bricks out of my nc30 or the princess.

These stoves are cranked out fast with robotic welding, bending, and cutting. If one stove turned out bad you can bet a whole bunch made it off the line bad too. Hope they noticed quickly!

Both the holes are on the left side (hinge) and would be covered by the brick. I can't see the top right one but from looking behind the shield it looks as bad as the middle left one. The stove is older end of 14 build date. Just slowly been getting things done. Really slowly.

If mine has holes behind the bricks I’ll just call them additional hours uncontrolled air inlets!

Going to be pouring the coals to my nc30 this weekend. It’s been a real good heater for me.

Totally unacceptable! Exchange it!

If i can get some opinions on what would you do. I have a englander nc-30 that has some bad welds. When the rear heat shield was attached they got a little hot and came threw the rear of the fire box. The stove was bought threw lowes couple years ago, but is new and just finished installing the cramic on the pad. Englander gave me two options 1. Have someone fix it and they will reimburse me. 2. I get it too their distribution center and they will exchange it.

I feel i found a good onsite welder which, said he feels like he can fix it and it should be fine. But i worry about the 2 other welds i can't see and feel like it should not of passed inspection.

It will not be easy to load and unload the stove if i decide to exchange it. But I'm sure i can figure it out. I just want to be safe and not have to worry about weak spots and problems down the road.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Exchange.

Where's the distribution center nearest you?

Also ask them for something to sweeten the deal for you moving it back.

We did, when the fridge got dinged on delivery, they sent is a bottle of touch up paint, and credited the delivery charge back.

It's about 60 miles one way. The problem being its just the wife and me, with not a vehicle to transport. I can rent a truck and ask the neighbors kids to help me load and unload (timing sucks to figure it out) that's going to be a hundred plus gas. Pay someone to do it for me. But that's easy going to be a couple hundred. Is my busy season at work and only get a day off at best. Or i can hire a wielder get reimbursed and worry about what ifs. I know what i want to do. Especially after all your feed back, just trying to figure out a way.

It's about 60 miles one way. The problem being its just the wife and me, with not a vehicle to transport. I can rent a truck and ask the neighbors kids to help me load and unload (timing sucks to figure it out) that's going to be a hundred plus gas. Pay someone to do it for me. But that's easy going to be a couple hundred. Is my busy season at work and only get a day off at best. Or i can hire a wielder get reimbursed and worry about what ifs. I know what i want to do. Especially after all your feed back, just trying to figure out a way.

What about something like Uship.com, guys are always looking to fill that small spot on their trailer?

I've been in the shop. Not a robot in sight. Just a bunch of hairy legged boys with hoods on.

Another thought would be to see how willing Lowe's is to help. Unless you've already gone that route, stop in where you bought it and talk to the store manager. They may be able to provide some assistance in moving of the stove.

Find out what "distribution center" means. I had to swap out my first one and the only distribution place I know of is the plant in Monroe, Virginia. A long haul for you. Just 141 miles for me.

Any way an exchange goes the stove is gonna get scrapped. ESW can put one more on the shipment to your Lowe's store and Lowe's or you can take it to the scrap place. Get in Lowe's face if it comes to that. I remember the day I fell in love with my wife while we were dating. At the Ford dealership the service manager told her "Lady, we didn't build it.". She replied "Boy, I didn't hand the check for it to Ford.".

Car got fixed and the next 45 years with her has been history.

Any way an exchange goes the stove is gonna get scrapped. ESW can put one more on the shipment to your Lowe's store and Lowe's or you can take it to the scrap place. Get in Lowe's face if it comes to that. I remember the day I fell in love with my wife while we were dating. At the Ford dealership the service manager told her "Lady, we didn't build it.". She replied "Boy, I didn't hand the check for it to Ford.".

Car got fixed and the next 45 years with her has been history.

I asked about (return exchange) that when i talked to englander. Was told I'd have to talk lowes into it and buy a new stove then return. But i have not talked to lowes directly yet. Working retail (install and sales)myself. Im getting threw the blackfriday week, before i call. I would happily pay for delivery again if i had to, if it ment i just get the old stove to the drive way and back in. But i thought the same thing it's more then likley going to be scrapped. Why not just send one to lowes and Im sure they would happily take money to deliver and if they want the old one they pick it up when their here.

Exchange.

Does the Englander stove guy still check in and post here?

Could you go to lowe's and purchase a new one and then call them and tell them you found a flaw and return the old one?