Need a little help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stihlfarmhouse91

Apr 28, 2019
Central ny
hey everyone. So I know this horse is kinda dead but I’m gonna beat a little as well. (I’ve searched and could use a little more info) couple years ago I bought a foreclosed home and it had a fully ducted logwood (cof22) from marathon heater company. It ran okay so I went with it for the last two winters. Now, on top of being a wood eating son of a gun, this winter from the last owners not cleaning out ashes two shakers broke and the ash pan door is so warped you can’t put enough gasket in it to close the gap. Needless to say it’s time for a new furnace. I’ve been eyeballing some from Drolet, hy-c and a few others. Need to stay around 120k btu as my home is a 1800sq ft 1850 farm house with not so good insulation. Currently burning ~40 face per year. As I get logs delivered and process by myself more efficient would be greatly appreciative, which wouldn’t be hard being there is no baffle dust a manual damper on the bottom and a thermostatically controlled damper on the ash pan. Enough rambling let me know what y’all think. Any help would be awesome.

wow, i was struck by your 40 facecords a year statement. I am up the road from you in western new york and with my econoburn and my 1800 sq ft log house a burned 12 facecords this past winter. just quit burning a couple weeks ago. Bruce

Crap I just noticed I double posted. Lol it does not get any better actually burning it. I know the house is old and drafty but you think it could be a little less. I like your numbers there, I used to burn 12-15 at a cabin my wife and I stayed at but the deal for acquiring that fell through. I’m excited that springs here to say the least. I made a fire for the weekend since we got back down to freezing but I’m hoping I’m done. Oh and is that a indoor or outdoor unit you have?

Last edited:
If Hy-C is on your consideration list, you should do some more reading. ==c

Lots of info on here, likely anything said would be somewhat repetitive.

Drolet is good. Kuuma Vaporfire likely best.

Don't know your wood processing procedures, but anything new will need dry wood. That means you should already have next years wood cut, split, stacked & drying now. If you weren't doing that with your old one, that might be a reason for high consumption. Regular cleaning is also important - likely your ash cleaning related issues would be on you if you already had a year in with it.

Good luck.

Reactions: sloeffle
Wood is decent not three year wood but can’t do too much more without quitting my job lol. Ash pan has always been clean on my watch you can see where someone tried to patch one of the shakers before when it started to crack so I think they where just cracked and I got the end result of it. Not to mention the furnace is no newer than 1998-2000 so it’s definitely been used. I’m leaning towards the heat pro and getting ahead on my wood for the year by buying some pre processed wood and using some slab wood.