Need advice Buck 91-C or Buck 94-NC?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodbrnr

Sep 15, 2017
Yellow Springs, OH
Need advice from experienced wood burners here. I am looking to buy a large wood burning insert to heat an open plan 4000sqft house I recently purchased. The fireplace is centrally located in the house in a large two story open room so heat distribution shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have a propane furnace as well as a heat pump for heat currently, but would like to do as much of my heating with the insert as possible. After lots of research I'm thinking a buck-91 would be the best bet (open to others suggestions if you have them). The reviews here seem very good, and I'm not intimidated by operating a cat stove. Only reason I'm hesitating is the local dealer and an experienced installer both recommended getting the non-cat 94 rather than the 91. Their position was basically the cat does nothing but cause problems. I haven't seen many reviews for the 94, but the few I have seen weren't that good. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm also interested in a 91 vs 94, or any other large insert. I looked at both today because they are the only large inserts my local dealer carried. I liked that the 91's bypass could be opened for easy chimney cleaning. The 94 took some effort to remove the air tubes and then a baffle to clean the chimney.

For some reason, the bucks just don't crank my tractor. May end up with one, but I'd love to hear about other options for heating a large space. I called the next closest hearth store and they have a Lopi Large Flush. I looked at it online, but didn't get warm fuzzies about it either. Does anyone else know what other inserts I should consider for a large space? I like the look of quadrafire, but don't have a local dealer.

I'm also interested in a 91 vs 94, or any other large insert. I looked at both today because they are the only large inserts my local dealer carried. I liked that the 91's bypass could be opened for easy chimney cleaning. The 94 took some effort to remove the air tubes and then a baffle to clean the chimney.

For some reason, the bucks just don't crank my tractor. May end up with one, but I'd love to hear about other options for heating a large space. I called the next closest hearth store and they have a Lopi Large Flush. I looked at it online, but didn't get warm fuzzies about it either. Does anyone else know what other inserts I should consider for a large space? I like the look of quadrafire, but don't have a local dealer.

I like the look of the Harman 300i and manufacturer claims you get a long even burn. Just not sure its got enough muscle at 3.0 cuft. to heat the space I've got. Country Flame made a model BBF that I really like, 3.9 cuft firebox, don't think they make it anymore though. Just not much out there in >3.0 cuft firebox inserts. I certainly haven't found anything comparable to the Buck's 4.4

Need advice from experienced wood burners here. I am looking to buy a large wood burning insert to heat an open plan 4000sqft house I recently purchased. The fireplace is centrally located in the house in a large two story open room so heat distribution shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have a propane furnace as well as a heat pump for heat currently, but would like to do as much of my heating with the insert as possible. After lots of research I'm thinking a buck-91 would be the best bet (open to others suggestions if you have them). The reviews here seem very good, and I'm not intimidated by operating a cat stove. Only reason I'm hesitating is the local dealer and an experienced installer both recommended getting the non-cat 94 rather than the 91. Their position was basically the cat does nothing but cause problems. I haven't seen many reviews for the 94, .

Not claiming to be an expert, I do have experience. We heat our 1800 sqft +full basement with a Buck 91. Until recently a heat pump was back-up. It failed, and will be replaced with a 95% propane furnace and high SEER A/C. The Buck does the lions share of heating, only during the coldest spells was the heat pump needed. Then only after a long, overnight burn before a reload got the stove temps up. We're heading into our 10th year with it. In those years we've replace the CAT once, and door gaskets twice (probably didn't need to the last time, but it's cheap and easy to do.).

IMHO, there's no intimidation operating a CAT stove, more like a learning curve as you discover how the stove burns with a particular kind of wood, in particular temps, during particular local weather conditions.

It's been our experience that the CAT hasn't caused any problems. To the contrary, it's the reason the stove heats as efficiently as it does. Also why the smoke is reduced sooo much. It does need maintained/cleaned. Not a problem for us. We have the dealer that installed it, clean and inspect the CAT when they're here sweeping the chimney.

Bottom line for us, the Buck 91 is exactly what we wanted in a wood stove. It looks good, is built like a tank, and heats like a mammajamma. We get excellent service from the local dealer.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: davidmc
Not claiming to be an expert, I do have experience. We heat our 1800 sqft +full basement with a Buck 91. Until recently a heat pump was back-up. It failed, and will be replaced with a 95% propane furnace and high SEER A/C. The Buck does the lions share of heating, only during the coldest spells was the heat pump needed. Then only after a long, overnight burn before a reload got the stove temps up. We're heading into our 10th year with it. In those years we've replace the CAT once, and door gaskets twice (probably didn't need to the last time, but it's cheap and easy to do.).

IMHO, there's no intimidation operating a CAT stove, more like a learning curve as you discover how the stove burns with a particular kind of wood, in particular temps, during particular local weather conditions.

It's been our experience that the CAT hasn't caused any problems. To the contrary, it's the reason the stove heats as efficiently as it does. Also why the smoke is reduced sooo much. It does need maintained/cleaned. Not a problem for us. We have the dealer that installed it, clean and inspect the CAT when they're here sweeping the chimney.

Bottom line for us, the Buck 91 is exactly what we wanted in a wood stove. It looks good, is built like a tank, and heats like a mammajamma. We get excellent service from the local dealer.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that helps. Everything I've read on here from 91 owners is positive, which is why I'm leaning heavily that way. Would love to hear from someone w a 94.

I was so close to buying the Buck 94, but went with the Osburn 2400. Now that I'm years ahead on firewood I wish I went with a Cat stove to get the long steady burns and probably a reduction in wood burned. I do like the Osburn and it heats everything I need it to.

Other than just enjoying fires, my biggest excuse for burning wood is to save money. The idea of replacing a Cat every 5 years or so at $325ish each time sort of turns me off. Not that it would be a deal killer, but I do like the idea of not having that maintenance item. What does everyone else who has to regularly replace Cats think about it?

(Price came from here: http://www.firecatcombustors.com/category-s/1210.htm)

Last edited:
I just found this in another old post about the 91 vs 94. Makes me want to consider the 94 over the 91.

I have a Buck 94 which is the non-cat version of the Buck 91. Solid stove & throws off a lot of heat. It uses burn tubes instead of a cat so you have to tend the fire more than you would with a cat stove. it is also more forgiving if your wood is not completely seasoned [under 20%]

Everything I read here seems to indicate 4000 sq ft is TOO much to hear with one stove. You'll be able to take the edge off and probably even do the lions share if you want, but that's a lot of square feet. I had a tube burner. The thing to remember is it's a high-low type stove. Comes on hard and fast and then burns down. If you want more even heat output, go for a cat stove.

Ever considered free standing. Great option for heating compared with insert, especially if your chimney is on external wall.

I have the 91 cat and its great. Don't have the 94 to compare, but I love the slow and steady burn with the cat. We have another non cat stove and its great but for serious heat the buck 91 is spectacular.

Hi, new here.. Any chance anyone can tell me how much clearance is needed behind the Buck 94? We are building a brand new home, and are trying to decide between the Buck 74zc or the 94nc. Major difference is the size... we like the 94nc best but after looking at the instructions online, it seems like it says the 94 needs to set 23" from the back wall, which would put it way out into the room. We are brand new at the wood insert life, so any help is appreciated. We do know we want Buck brand and non catalytic. Thanks!