Need advice: gas stove for screened porch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CAD

Jan 4, 2017
Chapel Hill, NC
Hi! I have my heart set on the look of a cast iron gas stove for my screened porch, but I am told by my builder that there are no direct vent or ventless gas stoves out there approved for outdoor use. Is anyone aware of any options for me? Thanks for your help!

I think I'd talk to another builder. While a stove may not be designated specifically for outdoor use,
what would be the difference between having one installed in a three-season room & a screened-in porch?
I have seen plenty installed in three-season rooms & if all the windows were opened, wouldn't that STILL
be considered an indoor install, even tho the room is now only screened in?

they are often done, but rarely would be approved if push came to shove. It would likely work, but being exposed to the humidity and temperatures swings, most companies wouldn't warranty them (if they were aware). And as painted cast iron doesn't enjoy being outside, so you'd likely be looking at periodic touch up painting requirements. Vent free appliances are susceptible to issues if located in a drafty place, and I doubt anyone wouldn't consider the outside (or a screened in porch) to not be a drafty location.