Need advice purchasing new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty57

Jul 3, 2010
Central NC
Happy 4th to all.

I've read a bit here on the forum and the new user info. I am not here to ask for the least expensive way to purchase a stove, but advice on possibly some price ranges from those of you who have purchased the two stoves I have in mind. Also, I live in central North Carolina and am willing to travel a bit of a distance to purchase a new stove....whether it be over the state lines of VA/TN/SC a short distance if need be.

With that, I will explain my area to be heated. I am converting a stall barn, 12' x 24", [approx 300 sqft] a lean to roof line 7' up to 9'. Floor joists have been laid with sub-flooring down and floor was insulated. The walls and ceiling have blown-in insulation. Sheetrock will be installed over wall studs. I plan to use the steel chimney design through the ceiling/roof instead of going outside due to two little rooms that are winged off the main building that were used as tack rooms. The bulk of this project, i have been doing and will cointinue to do till it's finished.

The two stoves that I am thinking about are"

Jotul F 602 Little Giant $898.00
Morso 2B STandard $1000.00

I've checked one stove store in my area. Do the prices of these two stoves seem in the ball-park range? I can't afford them just yet, but in September, I should have enough with the knowing of the pipe and its expenses in addition to the stove purchase.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the outside wall [west facing], roof line and the spot where the stove will go inside. I have a support built under the area where the stove is going to go.

Thank you all in advance.

Patty in central NC

Attachments

• Roof view.jpg
    Roof view.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 298
  • Roof view #2.jpg
    Roof view #2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Inside room.jpg
    Inside room.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 278
Welcome Patty. The Jotul 602 will easily heat the space, but it will need fairly frequent feeding. Will this be the only heat in the space or will there be standby heat from gas or electric?

Yes, it will be the only heat source. I may have an electric oil heater as we use them in the house; just not sure yet. I've read about the frequent heating of this little stove. Just need to do alot more reading on this forum. We live in an old farmhouse and have an old wood stove in the house along with our propane heat as well.

Patty

It's a great stove and takes a longer stick than the Morso (also a nice stove). Either would work, but they go through fuel in 2-3 hrs. Still, we have neighbors that heat mostly with the Jotul 602CB and they really like it. We have the older 602 and that little puppy can really put out the heat.

Will this be a living space or a studio/workshop kind of space. Having electric backup is a good plan for overnight and for when the temps are moderate.

Thank you BeGreen!

>Will this be a living space or a studio/workshop kind of space?

Studio type room.

Can we touch just a bit on the $900.00 price range for one? Advice on where to look as far as sources would be appreciated as well. I've watched Craigslist for a couple of months now with no luck, even in neighboring states. I'm just thinking that I will have to purchase new and would like to hear from you or others if there are sources in which I can possibly save a bit of money for the Jotul.

Thank you again for your time in responding.

Patty

The $898 is a good price for the stove. I believe list price on it is around $1,100. With the tax credit you would end up with it for six hundred and twenty eight bucks. A heck of a deal.

I'm not sure about pricing, but hopefully a dealer will chime in if there's going to be a summer sale. You might also call dealers to see if they have a floor model for sale. If they do, now is a good time to ask. Nothing like going into a stove shop when it's 90 outside. It's often the quietest place in town, especially on a Monday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.