need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the min. chimney length that I would need for either of those stoves. My wife and I think they look great and I love their reputation and that they are made local.

It's a good company with excellent product support. The chimney height should be about 15ft. for the Progress and 14 ft for the Fireview. Definitely install with an insulated liner. If you choose the Progress you will need to order it with the short leg kit to clear the 27" lintel on the fireplace.

Reactions: willywil
No ash yet. A lot of locust and oak grow around here.

Well, then the rule should be, "anything but oak." I can tell you first-hand that 1-year oak will not burn in your stove. Learned that myself this fall, when I'd almost snuff out the fire every time I loaded any 1-year split oak.

I had thought that Ash grew everywhere Oak grew, but I could be wrong. I'm not that far from you, and we have plenty of Ash around here, but perhaps it's not tolerant to the salt air?

Well, then the rule should be, "anything but oak." I can tell you first-hand that 1-year oak will not burn in your stove. Learned that myself this fall, when I'd almost snuff out the fire every time I loaded any 1-year split oak.

I had thought that Ash grew everywhere Oak grew, but I could be wrong. I'm not that far from you, and we have plenty of Ash around here, but perhaps it's not tolerant to the salt air?
Nah, oak out the wazoo here, ~100 miles inland, and ash is relatively rare. Dunno why. Too warm maybe? Waiting for oak to dry is getting old. . .

Would extending beyond the brick with stainless be an option??
+1 on this question.
Class A pipe or one of Craig's fancy extenders?
Might cost a bit, but maybe OP wouldn't mind paying extra to be able to put the stove upstairs. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.