Need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TD80

Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2007
Ct.
I have a raised ranch, built in 2004, with a Temco zero-clearance fireplace, and a wood-framed chimney with an 8'' pipe. I was looking to put in a Quadra-fire yosemite. I had a chimney professional come out and tell me I needed a 6'' liner, then had a state boiler inspector tell me I could use the pipe thats in there, and just get an adapter. I emailed quadra-fire and they told me I could use the existing pipe. All seemed to be going well, until I went to buy the stove, and the dealer told me that the exisiting pipe is only meant for temps up to 1,700 and I would need new pipe for up to 2,100 degrees. He also told me that a chimney liner would not work, as the risk for fire was very high. I am both confused and disappointed at the moment. Any thoughts??

OK, tough one.

First thing, your dealer is wrong.....but right also. Way back when, ZC's were tested to only 1700. I say "only" but that is dang hot! It would melt aluminum into a puddle very easily!

BUT, now (and anytime after about 2000) they are tested to the same HT standards as current chimneys - 2100 degrees.

So, in a way, everyone here is right and everyone is wrong!

My opinion - I would not install a wood stove into a ZC fireplace without lining the chimney. I just would not do it. While it can be done, and Quad might even stand behind it, it does not meet my own personal specs.

That is just an opinion, but when I ran a stove shop for 20+ years, we would not install a ZC insert any other way.

There is no way anyone at Quad would suggest something that ridiculous if they knew all the details. Just for starters, no Quad stoves (just inserts!) are even approved to be installed into or through a ZC box.

You should probably look at the 2700I or the 3100I - make certain the manual mentions ZC and lists Temco as an approved model
http://www.quadrafire.com/products/inserts/woodInsertDetail.asp?f=2700i

(note - post edited for clarity)

With the 2700I, would I still need a liner, the pipe was put in around 2004 and is 8''?? Or can I get away with an 6 to 8 inch adapter?

You would have to research the Temco venting

http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/man_2700i.pdf
Page 10

"The factory built chimney must be listed per UL 127 and meet the type HT requirements of UL 103. Factory built fireplace chimneys tested to UL 127-1998, may be at the fireplace manufacturer’s option, tested to the same criteria as UL 103 HT requirements. If the chimney is not listed as meeting HT requirements, or if the factory built fireplace was tested prior to 1998, a full height listed chimney liner must be installed from the appliance flue collar to the chimney top. The liner must meet type HT requirements (2100ºF) per UL 1777. The liner must be securely attached to the insert flue collar and the chimney top. To prevent room air passage to the chimney cavity of the fireplace seal the damper area around the chimney liner with high temperature sealant."

It would not be an adaptor, but you would take a 6" stubby liner and put it up into the 8" and seal it off with a block off plate.

I would never do it... I would just install the full insulated liner to be safe and ensure the best stove performance.

I called about the 2700I, and the dealer told me they will not install in ZC. Said it was too difficult to connect the liner and they dont recommend it. Seems like I keep hitting dead ends here!

What babies.... call a different dealer. We do it every week, its not that hard.

The weird thing is, you cant get the same answer twice, some dealers say no, one told me no to the insert, but said I could put a free-standing in front and run a liner, some say no all together. I also dont want to burn my house down. Im not sure which way to go here, and just wish I could get some agreement on the answers.

It takes a decent installer to do the job.....that is true.....but also true in general. The "art" of remodeling is such that you need to know how to get things done, even when small obstacles get in your way.

Oh, and as far as the liner, as above I would suggest it also. The only thing is that since you chimney DOES meet the letter of the law in the manual, I think the insulation is not needed and will make installation much easier. Consider it optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.