need heat pump / furnace recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Could be, though we were comparing my system and its current cost to the central Japanese vshp. American Standard's one down from top end is still multi-stage. FWIW He is one of the more rare and honest dealers that I know of. Takes pride in his work and doesn't markup the hardware 100%.

I am very happy to see the minisplit-esque technology that brought us the ultra high efficiency and low ambient heat pump operation making its way into more traditional American HVAC systems. It's about time. Surely it will be very expensive at first since it is cutting edge technology as far as American brands and installers are concerned but I am also sure that prices will fall as the technology becomes more common. Most importantly, it's happening and the ball is rolling. Heating water (domestic and for heat) with these excellent heat pumps is on this path and I can only make guesses as to why it is taking so dang long. The technology is already available on other continents.

For now, it is important to get quotes and then consider the likelihood of running the system enough to recover additional upfront costs of higher efficiency. On this forum we have a lot of wood heat people that have reduced their central furnace usage tremendously. Those folks may not ever recover even a modest additional cost for higher efficiency.

If you can wait, I expect new tech will be getting cheaper and more common in the near future.

If you can wait, I expect new tech will be getting cheaper and more common in the near future.

this is probably the path we're on. we'll see. i think if i can just replace the heating elements of the existing furnace, that should buy us a few more years out of it. anyone ever tackle this task?

also, for the existing heat pump: assuming it's only being used lightly during the year, how frequently do you think it should be serviced? it uses the old refrigerant type, so i know that's more $$$.

this is probably the path we're on. we'll see. i think if i can just replace the heating elements of the existing furnace, that should buy us a few more years out of it. anyone ever tackle this task?

also, for the existing heat pump: assuming it's only being used lightly during the year, how frequently do you think it should be serviced? it uses the old refrigerant type, so i know that's more $$$.

The new electric heat elements are available in different sizes, wattages, and are pretty cheap. They look like a simple bolt in deal to swap out the old one with a new matching one.

When we had heat pumps in the 80s we never had them serviced. We did replace the air filters and kept the compressor clear of vegetation and stuff. Most people do zero maintenance to heat pump systems other than room air filters until there is a problem.

do you know if there's a 1-size fits most, or do you need to get elements specifically matching your air handler?

Sorry, I don't. I would be seriously tempted to find the label and look for a direct replacement.

They're cheap, 74 $ for this 10 kw coil.

https://www.acwholesalers.com/Goodm...C-10-Kilowatt-34-100-BTU-Heater-Coil/14538.ac

That site shows the fancy minisplit/Americanized central systems. Equipment cost is almost double for only a small increase in SEER from 18 to 19.3.