Need heat shield advice. Copper shield for wood walls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OffGridSquid

Jul 27, 2015
boise
Hi! I was hoping some folks may have some input on some questions I have before installing my woodstove. I am going to be installing The Hobbit woodstove in my tiny house. The woodstove requires 18 inches of clearance to the rear and 16 for the sides. I have built a wooden stove stand for it to stand on. I will most likely use tile for the base to protect the stand. I am hoping to reduce clearances by 50% with a heat shield. I was hoping to use 22 gauge copper sheets for this. My walls are 3/8 inch cedar tongue and groove. Here are some of my questions:

Is copper an adequate material for a heat shield? Dies the spacing need to be greater?

Should I be concerned my walls are cedar tng?

If so, should I attach the copper sheets to cement board? Or cover the wood walls with cement board?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated! I haven't found too much info on copper heat shields on the web. Thank you in advance!!!

Westin
IMG_20170625_194902_700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure you're going to 1/2 the clearances with a wall shield. Shield has to be spaced from the wall 1" minimal. Copper soaks up heat, might want to think aluminum.

You better check the manual for required hearth R &/or K values required. Tile is merely ember protection.

Hi! I was hoping some folks may have some input on some questions I have before installing my woodstove. I am going to be installing The Hobbit woodstove in my tiny house. The woodstove requires 18 inches of clearance to the rear and 16 for the sides. I have built a wooden stove stand for it to stand on. I will most likely use tile for the base to protect the stand. I am hoping to reduce clearances by 50% with a heat shield. I was hoping to use 22 gauge copper sheets for this. My walls are 3/8 inch cedar tongue and groove. Here are some of my questions:

Is copper an adequate material for a heat shield? Dies the spacing need to be greater?

Should I be concerned my walls are cedar tng?

If so, should I attach the copper sheets to cement board? Or cover the wood walls with cement board?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated! I haven't found too much info on copper heat shields on the web. Thank you in advance!!!

I can't speak to clearances you will need that are specific to that stove although I do think there is a standard clearance for un-rated stoves and it is reduced quite a bit with a stand-off heat shield. One of the pros can probably provide specifics. Copper would work fine. Code doesn't distinguish between different species of wood, cedar is not what I would choose but it's fine as long as the install meets clearances. I would be concerned about embers accidently getting swept under the heat shield and against the wood wall. Maybe some copper flashing at the bottom corner (make sure the air space behind the shield is maintained) would add some piece of mind.

Are you sure that stove is rated to sit on a wood hearth without insulation under the tile?

Tiny houses often are a challenge. Clearances need to be more like boat installations. Some marine wood stoves have built-in shielding to reduce the clearances a lot. In lieu of that you'll need to create a ventilated NFPA 211 wall shield behind the stove. Copper or stainless steel will work fine as long as the shield is open top and bottom and 1" off the wall. That will reduce the clearance down to 12". I am only finding the manual for the Hobbit in the UK. Unfortunately it does not list corner install clearance which is usually measured from the rear corners of the stove to the walls. With a proper wall shield 12" should suffice. Also, use double-wall stove pipe for its closer (6") clearance until you transition to chimney pipe at the ceiling.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/