Need help: Backup battery options for P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

miteclipse

Burning Hunk
Mar 8, 2013
Hughesville, MD
Hi,

Have a P68, built in Jan 2011, serial # 008286918. I'm looking for some type of battery backup where I'm able to turn off the stove in the case of a power outage to prevent smoke back. Manual says the following can be used:

APC BE750G - Discontinued, found APC BN900M 900VA
TrippLite INTERNET750U
Surefire 512H

Another option:
CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/900W

What should I purchase? In the case of extended power outage, I run a generator.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Not sure. Its a champion generator that was purchased from a store. Gets wheeled from the shed, started, and then I plug the stove to it. Only gets used if power may be out for a long time. On battery, how long does that setup last you?

Attached is what Harman just emailed me. What is any opinion in this? I find it odd that dip switch 4 would need to be turned on. Wonder if its something newer models need? Which mine is not.

Attachments

• Harman Battery Backup Options.pdf
    289.2 KB · Views: 237
I posted more info last year. But basically on Medium Fan Speed and Manual Setting it will go 6 hours at least on 100ah battery. I did real world test and quit at 6 hours. It might have gone longer. Voltage and Times I posted.

don't get the 1st two units. Dip Switches have to be changed. If you want some run time get "Pure Sine Wave" I went with AIMS Unit. More power just in case I want to run other things instead of Stove. Ie Refrigerator.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/real-world-4-hour-test-of-inverter.169919/#post-2280663

Last edited:
Attached is what Harman just emailed me. What is any opinion in this? I find it odd that dip switch 4 would need to be turned on. Wonder if its something newer models need? Which mine is not.

On a UPS battery backup they don't usually have the power to run the stove in normal heating mode for very long. Harman's normal setting is switch 4 off so if the power goes out the stove cycles the fan until the fire is out. It allows the stove to shut down w/o smoke coming out of the stove and into your house.

Switch 4 on keeps the stove in normal running mode.

sam

Im leaning towards the CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave.
12V/8AH Battery. It might be enough to just shut it down. It's not pure sine wave. I would keep looking. Do yourself a favor and get PSW Inverter/Charger. I would guess .2 hours of run time. After having dealer change the switch it will be enough to shut it down if your very quick.

UD: It terminology is different than saying PSW. "Adaptive sine wave was an early marketing term that was used for this series of UPS system. Our marketing has since changed to reflect the true wave form output of this series of CyberPower UPS systems."

So you should be ok without changing dip switch. But again it's very small battery.

The following formula can be used to determine run time in most applications using a 12V battery or bank:
8x10=80/450w = 2 Min run Time. Be quick on shutdown. To me that won't be enough to even get the stove shut down.
10 x (Battery Capacity in Amp Hours)
(Load power in Watts)
= Run time in hours

Last edited:
Stepped approximation to a sinewave - Buy one that is PURE SINE WAVE and save yourself some heartache. The battery is less than 6lbs. the Documentation says it's 108ah which is BS mistake. I bet it's less than 6ah battery. Be very quick on shutdown with this VERY small unit.

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Replacement-Battery-Cartridge-17/P-RBC17

Your going to have to spend some $$$ to get any time at all. If your want run time when the power goes out. If you just want to pulse the stove to get rid of smoke buy the recommend unit.

If you have to get dealer out to change the dip switch for Non Pure Sine wave the savings you have on non sine wave inverter will not be there. Don't go cheap. All of them recommend Deep Discharge Battery. Figured about 6 hours for each 100ah Battery.

Just looking for something to pulse the combustion blower.

As I mentioned over there any of the Harman recommended ones will work fine to do the auto-shutdown.

Sam

Is the Generator Pure Sine Wave? I run this for my Harmon XXV

Just ordered this setup you have with a 2nd battery. Wife is retired and isn't able to get the generator hooked up. One of our sons was staying with us so he could do it while I'm at work. He isn't around now and that inverter/battery setup will keep the stove going for hours if I'm at work or if the power goes out at night while we're sleeping.

A bit expensive but worth it for the ease of use and me not worrying about it at work now.

Sam

For just shutting it down the one Harmon has Recommend will do the job quite well. Pair it with nice Deep Cycle Battery. Me for I would say 30ah would be plenty of power for shutdown. Get away with only spending 270 plus battery. 30ah would be plenty of power. Not so sure about 8ah battery. You have to know the draw when pulsing and shutting down.

Just ordered this setup you have with a 2nd battery. Wife is retired and isn't able to get the generator hooked up. One of our sons was staying with us so he could do it while I'm at work. He isn't around now and that inverter/battery setup will keep the stove going for hours if I'm at work or if the power goes out at night while we're sleeping.

A bit expensive but worth it for the ease of use and me not worrying about it at work now.

Sam
Great Setup. You should get 12 hours with two 100ah batteries. I recommend idiot proof it for Children. I bet 100ah battery can Kill. No children or grandkids for us. Nice Box with holes over it would be good enough for when they visit. Wood or Such. Downside is batteries are heavy and only last 3-5 years.

Great Setup. You should get 12 hours with two 100ah batteries. I recommend idiot proof it for Children. I bet 100ah battery can Kill. No children or grandkids for us. Nice Box with holes over it would be good enough for when they visit. Wood or Such. Downside is batteries are heavy and only last 3-5 years.

Grandkids are all teenagers now so when they visit it's hi then straight to the game consoles and computers.

sam

I ended up buy Tripp Lite Internet750u.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Now test it. Fire her up and Pull the Plug out of the wall and see if it does the job good enough for you. It will be beeping the whole time it's shutting down (Tripp L). If you get smoke in the hours right now you can air it out and return it. Don't wait until you need it.

Just waiting for it to be received. Temps are still hot in MD. I'll test it on a cooler day. If it doesnt work on the stove, I will hook it up to office computer and cable modem.

Just waiting for it to be received. Temps are still hot in MD. I'll test it on a cooler day. If it doesnt work on the stove, I will hook it up to office computer and cable modem.
Won't take long to test. Get it going good and unplug and see if you can smell smoke. My Stove does not have any smell if I pull the plug (no backup power). I vent into 8" pipe too. But tomorrow you can hear dollars going away when I buy 5 tons of pellets