Need help choosing a Fire Chief Model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yup, Tundra II, or if you think you have that kind of heat load (or like it hot in the house) go for the larger Heatpro.
You can buy Drolets furnaces from various places online...sometimes you can catch great sales, sometimes even free shipping…when Menards carried them, they were the cheapest, but now if I were going to order one it would be an online order I believe...like here maybe...(their online factory store)

That where I purchased my Tundra 2. I caught it on sale, my neighbor also let me order it through his pro account and got an additional 25% off with free shipping.

That where I purchased my Tundra 2. I caught it on sale, my neighbor also let me order it through his pro account and got an additional 25% off with free shipping.
Wow, that sounds like an incredible deal!
I see the HP is $400 off right now...and free shipping as usual. The smaller Heatmax is only $100 less...and the Tundra 2 is out of stock...probably gone from inventory due to re-tooling for the new 2020 certified lineup (that is rumored to exist) Who knows what the T3 will be like...certainly more money...hard to say if you'd be better off with a T2, or HP, or wait for the T3/HP2...?
After the cracking issues with the T1, I'd probably lean toward buying one now vs buying the first year or two of the new T3/HP2...

Reactions: Case1030
Englander makes a good manual wood furnace 28-4000 ,very reliable ,easy to operate and will put out a tremendous amount of heat. I have3 fires a day when it’s cold and less when it’s mild. Always coals there when I restart up to 11 or 12 hours. I like simple in a wood burning device, less to go wrong. Good luck in your search.
And if a person is interested in a 28-4000, the best deal to be found on a new one is likely going to be from these guys, they sell the factory seconds (minor cosmetic blemish) with full warranty and free shipping.

And if you want one, better get it now, once they run out, thats it...and probably will be no more due to the fact that the 28-4000 will very likely not exist after May when the new EPA 2020 regs take affect.

And if a person is interested in a 28-4000, the best deal to be found on a new one is likely going to be from these guys, they sell the factory seconds (minor cosmetic blemish) with full warranty and free shipping.
Really not sure if this would be sufficient for my 3400 sqft home????

Not unless it is insulated/air sealed enough to have a lower heat load than the sq ft would imply.
If that's the case then the Tundra II/Heatmax II is probably too small also...so that would leave you with the Heatpro as the best affordable option in my opinion.

Wow, I would jump all over that deal
Yeah it was about $1650 CAD before tax. Couldn't go wrong.

Now that I think about it probably paid itself off the first year saving on electricity.

I would honestly just pick up a heatpro. Its within budget, and if you don't have perfectly dry 2-3 year season wood you won't be fighting to get every btu.

Also many people underestimate heat load, buying a new stove/furnace not producing enough btu to maintain temperature. With that being said you shouldn't have any regrets or sencond guessing going with the heatpro.

I'm also in MO and have a smaller house that I heat with a Tundra. You want a Drolet Heatpro, or if you have the budget the Kuuma is the best on the market. If you buy the wrong furnace you're going to regret it for years to come. With the Drolet, you're going to want to add some controllers which will run a few hundred dollars. This has been discussed at great length in this thread. You would be wise to read this thread from start to finish.

Look around this forum and you'll find the thread about the exploding fire chief.

Reactions: sloeffle