Need help connecting wall thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeRandall

Jan 18, 2016
Wyoming
I have a Serenac, or Tasman 40,000 stand alone pellet stove and it works fine. I recently bought the wall thermostat Braeburn 1000NC for it. The Tasman thermostat instructions dont tell me anything more than "connect thermostat here". And the instuctions on the Braeburn thermostat must assume the reader has some electrical background because it gives me 5 or so different setup's or stove types and expects me to choose the one to use. Basically there is a red wire and a black wire with the thermostat and there are 2 slots on the stove. Now the Braeburn has 8 variations to use in connecting the red & black wires. The variations are RC RH B O Y W G C, The Tasman circuit board has the green wire slots box and it looks like a silver screw on top and a gold screw on bottom (wire connections) but I have no clue where to put the black wire on my stove circuit board and the black wire on the Braeburn thermostat, leaving the red wire to go where?? The Braeburn thermostat instructions also talk about a factory installed jumper also. I assume my stove's setup is the simple one and the jumper gets left alone. Does anyone know which wire goes where on my stove and on the 8 available slots on the thermostat? I sure appreciate the help

I put a Braeburn on my former Hastings and used W and RH (use the "heat only / Millivolt" settings in the instructions - but you don't have a fan or transformer so ignore those). Doesn't matter which wire goes where. Yeah, I had to puzzle and puzzle over the instructions.

As for a jumper, don't think you need one for the thermostat as the swing is set electronically. However, I don't know if you need a jumper on your stove board so will let someone else chime in there.

Oh, I see where they talk about the jumper - do not move the preinstalled jumper as that is only used for dual stage (which is not a pellet stove).

I put a Braeburn on my former Hastings and used W and RH (use the "heat only / Millivolt" settings in the instructions - but you don't have a fan or transformer so ignore those). Doesn't matter which wire goes where. Yeah, I had to puzzle and puzzle over the instructions.

As for a jumper, don't think you need one for the thermostat as the swing is set electronically. However, I don't know if you need a jumper on your stove board so will let someone else chime in there.
Thank you Bogie, the red & black has no reason?

They should be interchangeable in this instance.

I connected the Red wire to RH and black wire to W, and nothing, zero.. I put the stove on T-stat then turned it off. Connected the thermostat and then set the tem it should come on, then turned on the Breaburn and nothing. I went so far as to try every combination of wires connected to red black then I went down the list and connected black wire to all 6 options, nothing worked so I switched and connected the black to all options. Nothing. I finally just turned the stove on by the on/off switch. All my options I tried with the stove off, because the thermostat is supposed to turn the stove on yes?

I believe you have to start up the stove, then once it is going switch to t-stat - at least that is what I had to do with my Hastings. Also, T-stat mode will not turn your stove on and off, it will go into idle when the set temp is reached. The Auto setting will turn it on and off (although you still need to manually start it first, then when it is going turn it to auto). Page 10 of the manual that I found on the web.

This is good news, I am going to try it again tonight. Thank you Bogieb. Of course once I manually turn it on, the igniter begins and startup begins.. T-stat or manual setting. So RH & W then turn on the stove, then turn on the thermostat..

Hopefully the picture can be seen. It is the Saranac Tasman 40,000 control board. See the 2 slots? I dont know which is power and which is neutral?

I can't see the picture - probably not something I can help you with, but if you can get it to show, then maybe we can get someone else to help out.

Its the control board to the Tasman 40,000. Go to page 12 and it has a pretty good picture of the board. Bottom left there are 2 wire connection slots. Is one power and one neutral? does it matter which wire (red or black) goes where? Therefore which wire (red or black) goes into the wal thermostat?? RH & W seems to be a combination several agree with but I am not even sure of that. The Tasman instructions arent very good in my opinion. Page 12 is the .jpeg I was trying to show but the page 12 has same picture

http://www.savannahheating.com/Tasman_Pellet_Stove_Manual_04-17-07.pdf

Doesn't matter

I appreciate the help, check out how it went. I connected to the RH and the W, then took the other end and connected them to the pellet stove wire slots, I then set the Braeburn controls to heat and set the temp start at 73 deg. I put the Braeburn fan on auto. I turned on the pellet stove and set it to T-stat. Then I turned the Braeburn to "on" it flashed "heat" then I waited. The room was 66 deg so it took a while to get to 73 deg. When it reached 73 nothing.. I moved the wire from "W" over to the "C" and went through the same process. when the room got to 73 nothing happened. Something is still not right.

do you give up as soon as the temperature hit 73.if you have the thermostat set to 73, it doesn't shut off at 73 it has to go higher

Turn the fan to "on", not auto, make sure the other is set at "heat". Don't know if that will help with your particular stove, but that is how mine is configured.

When/if it work, will it shutdown the stove and restart it using the igniter or does it just shut off the convection fan or some other version of off? (note; the stove functions in every way currently, ignites pellets, fire box reaches heat and fan turns on)

in auto mode the stove will shut down, in t/stat mode the stove will stay on low until thermostat calls for heat.make sure you turn the stove off and back on when changing modes

Control Board Functions
AUTO/T-STAT/Manual Switch: This switch selects the pellet stove operating mode.
Slide the switch to Manual (the far right position) to be able to manually select the heat
settings and controls.
If you have a remote thermostat attached and wish to have the pellet stove controlled by
the thermostat slide the switch to T-STAT (the middle position) to operate the pellet
stove in variable heat mode. The thermostat will control the heat output of the pellet
stove alternating between the lowest heat level and the highest heat level pre-selected by
the user.
The AUTO setting (far left position) is similar to the T-STAT setting except that the
stove will alternate between shutdown (stove turned completely off) and restart to the
user selected heat level, when commanded by the thermostat. When using a thermostat
the T-STAT position is recommended. This setting provides a more even heat output, for
better comfort, and will extend the life of the ignition system components. In addition
the constant flame, in the stove, will serve as a warning for people and pets to keep away
from the stove while in operation.
After switching between modes the stove should be turned Off and back On to reset the
control to operate in that mode

my stove only has a push button control one push is t-stat, another push is manual, it has no auto.. the Braeburn has auto and on (fan)

Put the thermostat fan to "on". It has no relation to what the fan on your stove does (I believe that is a 2-stage sytem such as a FHA). The stove will control the fan, when it goes to idle, the fan will either go to low or off. When it is calling for heat, the fan will go full bore.

I have fan set on run on Braeburn, The Braeburn TS is set at 74 deg.. I turn it off. Then I go start the stove, I make no changes because it is set at t-stat and on low. I then go turn on the Braeburn. I wait the half hour it takes to heat the room to 74 deg. It moves to 74 deg and I leave it alone and it takes about 20 minutes to get to 75 deg and nothing happens. its moving to 76 deg now and nothing yet

Try this, with the stove running and the temp of the thermostat set higher than the current room temp, turn the selector to "heat". You should hear it click (after a few seconds) and your stove should ramp up (or stay stable if it is already ramped up). After 10 minutes, lower the set temp on the thermometer to 5 degrees less than what the current room temp is. You should hear a click in about 30 seconds (or maybe less). The stove will probably wait for a couple of minutes, then ramp down to idle.

However, it sounds like you only have a stove that will go to idle, not one that will shut down, so if you are expecting it to quit feeding and the fire go out, that will not be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.