Need help! Flu pipe condensation again????? House stinks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same boat here! Man I've learned a lot!

The 90 does decrease some but 2-3 foot is what the industry considers it lessens the height of the chimney. Some 45's can help but are not always necessary. A bigger concern is the horizontal section. Too many, and I've seen this one some videos of some guy posting recently, run the horizontal section flat. I've even seen them with a tilt down. Code calls for a 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal. Much better is a 1/2" rise per foot of horizontal.

Let's take an extreme situation. Our chimney is not at the recommended height to perform well. In addition, we have some horizontal (through the wall) and then a 90 to go up along side the house. Our stove has no problem with this so we do not intend to fix it.

Another extreme situation and not too smart is a horizontal section that ends horizontally rather than installing a 90 or a couple 45's so the chimney ends vertically rather than horizontally.

Also it is folly trying to compare the exhaust of a car to a stove. They are two different animals.
I respectfully disagree with you on the exhaust.. Stoves and vehicles, have exhaust persay, they both do the same thing, if you truly stop and think about it. One runs on a vaccum, the other one runs on force. The one that has to use a vacuum, to pull the volatiles from the combustion chamber, should have the least amount of resistance to bring the volatiles to atmosphere. In this gentlemans situation, how wood you go about doing away with the horizontal run? because he is having issues,

The flue pipe, at least at the 90, appears to be upside down. The pipe should be assembled male end down, female up. That way if moisture/creosote runs down the pipe it will stay on the inside and end up in the firebox.
Edit: I just looked at some pics you posted of your chimney. Without a chimney cap, every time it rains you are getting water/moisture down the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.