Need help narrowing down which wood burner to buy. Too many choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I believe the BK braggered section is located in the BK whatever year it is thread, please take your BS over there. Stating your likes and pluses of a particular stove is cool, but the relentless BS from the BK koolaid gang is prettyshitty, and getting very old.

Please put up with a little giddyness from a long time wood-burning enthusiast who thought he had seen it all. This thing is literally blowing my mind! I feel like my love of wood-burning has just reached a new plateau, one that I didn't know existed. Why do you call it "BS"? I'm one of the most honest, no BS person you'll ever meet.

I've always had a healthy skepticism of catalytic stoves and didn't think they were for me. I guess the moral of my story is "Yes, you really CAN teach an old dog new tricks". I would STILL be in the dark if not for what other enthusiasts shared here on this forum! I'm thankful they weren't censored.

Please put up with a little giddyness from a long time wood-burning enthusiast who thought he had seen it all. This thing is literally blowing my mind! I feel like my love of wood-burning has just reached a new plateau, one that I didn't know existed. Why do you call it "BS"? I'm one of the most honest, no BS person you'll ever meet.

I've always had a healthy skepticism of catalytic stoves and didn't think they were for me. I guess the moral of my story is "Yes, you really CAN teach an old dog new tricks". I would STILL be in the dark if not for what other enthusiasts shared here on this forum! I'm thankful they weren't censored.

Woody, as I said, I was not pointing a finger at you or any one person. I understand the giddyness, had it once myself. I actually like reading things you posts.

You have to realize, the constant bombardment (not specifically by you), gets old and puts many folks off. There is a perma thread for BK's, and that is the place to toot the BK horn. Yes, if someone asks about BKs, give them your honest take, and enthusiasm, point out the good points by all means. But it appears that anyone asking about a new stove choice is bombarded with Cat vs non cat, BK against all others. Some folks simply don't want a cat stove, for their own reasons, yet some still push that on them, even when they state what they want or don't want.
The banter might seem fun and harmless, but the constant bombardment of the same thing over & over is tiring, boring, and takes away from some folks in their quest for what they want. Fun is fun, but when it never ends, it is not fun anymore, and is simply just annoying, and makes folks not want to read through the post, because of the BS. The poster looses out, and so do onlookers, which may take away from some other good input from other members.

There are many good stoves out there, both cat & non-cat, something for everyone. That is the beauty of this forum, all types of folks, burning all types of wood species, in all types of stoves.

Have at it, I got other stuff to read.

I recently installed a Drolet 1800i. I only have a little burn time on it as the season isn't really here yet. But there are lots of good reviews on it. Its a no frills stove. I have the insert model but the stand alone model is about $1200 from wood stove pro. Seems like a well built unit to me.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
FYI . . . Loaded my stove last night around 6 p.m. . . . this morning at 4:30 a.m. there were still very large coals and the house was still plenty warm . . . warm enough to not reload.

However, that's now . . . in early Fall. Come Winter here in Maine with my 1970s vintage home and temps hovering in the single digits to teens and twenties I do not expect to get those same burn times.

Nothing wrong with any cat stove . . . in fact I would consider a cat stove myself possibly as a replacement.

The truth is though many of us get decently long burn times and do not overheat the home . . . even while using secondary burners. I know that during this time of year the cat folks are getting crazily long burn times with the low and slow burns and I think that's fantastic . . . but I also know my one-and-done fire works to keep me and my home warm for many hours . . . and that's what having a stove is all about . . . keeping one warm . . . regardless of what tech one uses to achieve this goal.

Reactions: jotulguy and jetsam
Some folks simply don't want a cat stove, for their own reasons, yet some still push that on them, even when they state what they want or don't want.

I was one of those people who didn't want a cat stove. I KNEW I didn't want one. Sounded fussy, expensive catalyst replacement, not very robust, etc. And why would I want one when a more traditional stove worked so well and was more simple? That was me for the last 30 years. I KNEW I didn't want a cat, and yet, I had never tried one. But still, I knew. That changed this spring when I started reading more and more real user experiences. And I'm glad I kept an open mind.

OK, I'll shut up now. It's not my intention to convince anyone, hell, I can hardly believe it myself.

Reactions: Brake
I was one of those people who didn't want a cat stove. I KNEW I didn't want one. Sounded fussy, expensive catalyst replacement, not very robust, etc. And why would I want one when a more traditional stove worked so well and was more simple? That was me for the last 30 years. I KNEW I didn't want a cat, and yet, I had never tried one. But still, I knew. That changed this spring when I started reading more and more real user experiences. And I'm glad I kept an open mind.

OK, I'll shut up now. It's not my intention to convince anyone, hell, I can hardly believe it myself.
I burned a BK Chinook 30 for 2 1/2 years and now I'm pleased to have a Jotul F55. They both have their own positives and negatives. The F55 is a steel firebox stove with gorgeous cast iron components. The price is right around 2k. The BK ran me well north of 3k (East coast).

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I burned a BK Chinook 30 for 2 1/2 years and now I'm pleased to have a Jotul F55. They both have their own positives and negatives. The F55 is a steel firebox stove with gorgeous cast iron components. The price is right around 2k. The BK ran me well north of 3k (East coast).

My biggest BK complaint would be the price, I spent about an extra $1000 more than I was planning on for my Ashford versus a PE Alderlea. I know a lot of happy people with cheaper PE stoves around here.

Many post EPA stoves will give you acceptable efficiency, but burn time and burn rate will vary. On a non-cat this is largely a function of the firebox size. If you go with any brand mentioned in this thread, you'll get a quality product.

It's nice to get into at least a 2 cu. ft firebox if your house can handle it or you're going to be spending a lot of time feeding it.

Once you select your firebox size, it's really down to personal preference:
  • cast/steel/cast over steel/soapstone
  • legs/pedestal,
  • NS/EW/top loading
  • cooktop
  • open door viewing
  • Window Size and self cleaning characteristics
  • enamel/paint
  • fancy electronic thermostat control (quadrafire has this, not sure how well it works)
  • A big one is what does a local reputable dealer carry especially if they're going to be installing it for you?
  • R value hearth requirement/ember protection
  • Clearances are a big deal, sometimes a smaller stove is "larger" because it takes more space due to clearance requirements. (my corner install only requires 4" off the corners to combustibles).
  • Fan kits
  • Ash drawer systems
  • Fresh air kit if necessary
  • specific venting requirements (like double wall all the way down and min stack height/diameter).

Last edited:

Curious as to why you swapped out the BK Chinook after only 2 1/2 years?

I recently installed a Drolet 1800i. I only have a little burn time on it as the season isn't really here yet. But there are lots of good reviews on it. Its a no frills stove. I have the insert model but the stand alone model is about $1200 from wood stove pro. Seems like a well built unit to me.

I will second this recommendation. I installed the freestanding Drolet Escape 1800 last Nov and am very pleased with it. It is made by SBI. They make an excellent product at a good price point and have excellent customer service.

He didn't say he "swapped out" the BK for something else. I assumed he probably just moved into a different house.

Many reasons- I have had the pleasure of burning many different stoves, and I was ready for my next. Wanted a visual change in the stove room. My lifestyle has changed a bit, and I don't need the long, low burns going forward. There are fewer maintenance issues with a well run non-cat vs an even more gently used cat stove.

Many reasons- I have had the pleasure of burning many different stoves, and I was ready for my next. Wanted a visual change in the stove room. My lifestyle has changed a bit, and I don't need the long, low burns going forward. There are fewer maintenance issues with a well run non-cat vs an even more gently used cat stove.

Cool thanks, I was just curious if there were any specific issue(s) with the BK that made you switch. I didn't want to assume anything. ;)

Cool thanks, I was just curious if there were any specific issue(s) with the BK that made you switch. I didn't want to assume anything. ;)
BK is a very good product/support/warranty, my chimney sweep even noticed the nice welds on the back of the stove. I really enjoyed burning my Chinook, quite impressed. You must follow the install guidelines regarding chimney to the best of your ability- they need minimal bends, interior to home envelope, and I think 16 feet in height from stove top. Do some break-in burns, and check door gasket/ latch tension often.

Hello thanks for the responses. I dont think I want a wood burner with a cat. So be anf joules and VC are out. Thinking steel instead of cast. I like PE don't don't have a dealer close so looks like quadra fire or Osborn? The stove wood be on the first level. The basement is just for storage. Is a stove rated at 2300 sq max adequate for a 1900 square foot home? I have read to go bigger on some forums and some say go a little smaller because a modern stove will hat you out of the house.

I say go bigger. My Quadrafire 4100 insert is not enough even with the built in blower for my 1900 sq/ft ranch even though the dealer said it was. Maybe a stand alone stove give different results.

Last edited:
I say go bigger. My Quadrafire 4100 insert is not enough even with the built in blower for my 1900 sq/ft ranch even though the dealer said it was. Maybe a stand alone stove give different results.

If you can put a stove in to replace an insert, you will likely get a difference. More thermal mass in the room, and convective advantages.

Reactions: Merc1973
Wondering if this is a case of heat loss.

Is the insert on an exterior wall? Is there an insulated blockoff plate in the damper area? If exterior, is there some insulation between the insert and back of the fireplace?

Do you have an insulated block off plate? Insulation behind the insert?

Its in a brick fireplace with brick chimney on exterior wall. I'm not sure what's behind the insert since I was not there when the dealer installed it.

NKvLUD1.jpg

Last edited:

Definitely, a free-standing woodstove heats more effectively (and efficiently). You could probably do better with the stove you have if you had a stronger draft. That's makes a big difference. Oh, yeah, and like the others have said, minimizing masonry acting as a heatsink to the outside.

Its in a brick fireplace with brick chimney on exterior wall. I'm not sure what's behind the insert since I was not there when the dealer installed it.

View attachment 201502
There probably is no plate or insulation most installers don't do it.

Definitely, a free-standing woodstove heats more effectively (and efficiently). You could probably do better with the stove you have if you had a stronger draft. That's makes a big difference. Oh, yeah, and like the others have said, minimizing masonry acting as a heatsink to the outside.
Only if it sits out of the firebox if it is inside it will actually be worse than an insert in most cases.

There probably is no plate or insulation most installers don't do it.
Yes, that's what I would guess too. If so, adding a block-off plate and a bit of insulation behind the insert could make a notable increase in heat output. This is of course assuming that the wood being burned is fully seasoned and that the wood is not the issue.

Yes, that's what I would guess too. If so, adding a block-off plate and a bit of insulation behind the insert could make a notable increase in heat output. This is of course assuming that the wood being burned is fully seasoned and that the wood is not the issue.

Thanks, if i can figure out how to remove the surrounding plate, i will add some insulation, fiberglass batts?

Thanks, if i can figure out how to remove the surrounding plate, i will add some insulation, fiberglass batts?
No it needs to be noncombustible. Mineral or ceramic wool. The biggest diffetencevwill come from a block off plate. Which usually means pulling the stove out.

No it needs to be noncombustible. Mineral or ceramic wool. The biggest diffetencevwill come from a block off plate. Which usually means pulling the stove out.

Block off plate at the top between the flu and brick firebox? Sorry to the OP for the temporary hijack.