Need help narrowing down which wood burner to buy. Too many choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Some of the catalyst stoves now are not labor intensive. I lift the lid and check the cat. I run a Pacific Enery T6 / summit and a Woodstock Progress hybrid. They both have merit.
If I had to downsize to one stove I would stay with my Progress, I run 24/7 during the heating season though.

The regencys look like they all have a cat and they are more expensive. After all the info. That is recieved I think I have settled on a quadrafire millennium
Does anyone have advice on the size? Is the 4300 the best option for my described sq ft? Some forums say go big some say go smaller so it doesn't hear you out of the house. I am thinking go big so I can have a smaller fire and longer burn times???

Some of the catalyst stoves now are not labor intensive. I lift the lid and check the cat. I run a Pacific Enery T6 / summit and a Woodstock Progress hybrid. They both have merit.
If I had to downsize to one stove I would stay with my Progress, I run 24/7 during the heating season though.
Some people have said they have had trouble with warping with the PEs so I shied away from them. It was second on my list thou under the quadrafire

The regencys look like they all have a cat and they are more expensive. After all the info. That is recieved I think I have settled on a quadrafire millennium
Does anyone have advice on the size? Is the 4300 the best option for my described sq ft? Some forums say go big some say go smaller so it doesn't hear you out of the house. I am thinking go big so I can have a smaller fire and longer burn times???
No most do not only their pro line have cats one insert and 2 freestanders.

The quads are good stove to I am not trying to talk you out of them.

Did you see what you did there?

You listed one of the disadvantages right in there with all the advantages. Snuck it in second from last. ;)

Huh? I looked at cat and non. This one fit my needs.

OP also keep in mind the slant to BlazeKings over the last few years on this site. Seems to be cyclical. Good stoves. Just don't be swayed too far as there are many, many options.

Reactions: bholler
OP also keep in mind the slant to BlazeKings over the last few years on this site. Seems to be cyclical. Good stoves. Just don't be swayed too far as there are many, many options.

That raises an important philosophical question. How do you know when you've been "swayed too far" towards buying a Blaze King;?

Do you know you've been "swayed too far" if you find one in your living room;?

If so, I'm one of the 'victims' who was "swayed too far". Because this summer, after hearing about Blaze King owners experiences, I bought one!

Fortunately, everything I heard, was really true! I've had a lot of nice wood stoves in my life, but this Chinook 30 is in a whole 'nuther world! I've never seen anything like it. It's like the Energizer Bunny! It just keeps cranking out the heat, hour after hour, without having to mess with it.

One load on my previous tube stove, burned as low as it would go, would last 3-6 hours depending on how tightly I packed the 2.3 cubic foot firebox. And about 2-4 of those hours I would be too hot. But I didn't want to open windows and doors because that would hasten the need to start another fire. Then, a couple hours later, I would start to get cold. And I would repeat the process all over again. Hauling wood in from out in the rain, piling it by the stove, loading it, lighting it, tending it, getting too hot. Watching it die down.

The BK Chinook is going to reduce those trips to the wood stacks by 50% or maybe more. Not because it burns 50% more efficiently, but because the burn rate can be turned down to the level I actually need. Imagine that! Think how much oil or propane you would burn if your furnace thermostat always took your house to 80 or 85 degrees before backing off! And how uncomfortable you would be.

I've never been so pleased after being "swayed too far"!

That raises an important philosophical question. How do you know when you've been "swayed too far" towards buying a Blaze King;?

Do you know you've been "swayed too far" if you find one in your living room;?

If so, I'm one of the 'victims' who was "swayed too far". Because this summer, after hearing about Blaze King owners experiences, I bought one!

Fortunately, everything I heard, was really true! I've had a lot of nice wood stoves in my life, but this Chinook 30 is in a whole 'nuther world! I've never seen anything like it. It's like the Energizer Bunny! It just keeps cranking out the heat, hour after hour, without having to mess with it.

One load on my previous tube stove, burned as low as it would go, would last 3-6 hours depending on how tightly I packed the 2.3 cubic foot firebox. And about 2-4 of those hours I would be too hot. But I didn't want to open windows and doors because that would hasten the need to start another fire. Then, a couple hours later, I would start to get cold. And I would repeat the process all over again. Hauling wood in from out in the rain, piling it by the stove, loading it, lighting it, tending it, getting too hot. Watching it die down.

The BK Chinook is going to reduce those trips to the wood stacks by 50% or maybe more. Not because it burns 50% more efficiently, but because the burn rate can be turned down to the level I actually need. Imagine that! Think how much oil or propane you would burn if your furnace thermostat always took your house to 80 or 85 degrees before backing off! And how uncomfortable you would be.

I've never been so pleased after being "swayed too far"!
You do realize that most of us with tube stoves get much much longer burn times than that and most of us have figured out how to deal with the temperature fluctuations as well. I am not putting down blazekings or cat stoves in general. But there are many other very good stoves out there as well. And blaze kings are not always the best stove for every situation like some here claim.

Reactions: BKVP
Ahh I see the classic series are noncats looks like the f3100 would work. I can't find a price on line. Any ideas what the cost is?
Call a local dealer for pricing.

You do realize that most of us with tube stoves get much much longer burn times than that and most of us have figured out how to deal with the temperature fluctuations as well.

Please list the tube stoves that can even come close to the length of steady heat provided by a Blaze King! Please compare like sized fireboxes.

Yes, you can manage temperatures by opening windows but, once the stove is turned as low as it will go, that's about all you can do. I've been burning woodstoves as an adult for over 35 years and it's not like I don't know what I'm doing!

i'm going to second the take a good look at Regency. Their eco-boost system is quite the invention, seen one burning recently, really good control of the burn and the numbers for cleanliness are good too. Their classic line tube stoves are nice burners too, but the hybrids give you a nice easy to control stove too. Just wished the Hamptons made a large version, I hope its in the works. Quads use to be a top dog, they have gotten a bit expensive over the years, for value stoves, PE and Enviro steel stoves will be hard to beat. Lots of good choices, but I'm on the Regency hybrid train. The Hampton stoves are pretty.....

Please list the tube stoves that can even come close to the length of steady heat provided by a Blaze King! Please compare like sized fireboxes.

Yes, you can manage temperatures by opening windows but, once the stove is turned as low as it will go, that's about all you can do. I've been burning woodstoves as an adult for over 35 years and it's not like I don't know what I'm doing!
Did I ever say they had as long of burn times? Nope

I have never opened a window in the winter to cool things down and many others don't either when using noncats. I do know what I am talking about as well. If you need long low burns then yes a blazeking is absolutely a grear choice. But not all of us need that. Now I did just move to a smaller more modern house and when it is time to replace my 3100 I may go with a cat. But in our old house it would have made no sense at all.

Did I ever say they had as long of burn times?

Actually, you said "much longer." Here's the quote:

You do realize that most of us with tube stoves get much much longer burn times than that and most of us have figured out how to deal with the temperature fluctuations as well. I am not putting down blazekings or cat stoves in general.

The advantages of being able to burn so low and for so long without tending shouldn't be overlooked.

What I've found is a lower BTU output over a much longer time keeps a house warmer (and more comfortable) than a higher BTU output that is not steady. But if need a high heat output, the BK's can do that too. When you install a BK, it's like getting a small stove that burns almost forever, and a big stove that can crank out the heat when you need it.

Actually, you said "much longer." Here's the quote:

The advantages of being able to burn so low and for so long without tending shouldn't be overlooked.

What I've found is a lower BTU output over a much longer time keeps a house warmer (and more comfortable) than a higher BTU output that is not steady. But if need a high heat output, the BK's can do that too. When you install a BK, it's like getting a small stove that burns almost forever, and a big stove that can crank out the heat when you need it.
Yes much longer than your reported burn times with your tube stove. I can see why you thought I meant longer than your bk though I was unclear.

And yes like I said before if you need low and slow pick a bk. But many people don't need low and slow. So why pay for and maintain something you are not going to use?

Oh and I also never get my house 80 degrees either. You just need to know how to size your stove right and how to controll it properly

The value of this website is helping and education, not promotion.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/faq/
#8 Can I complain and/or praise/pump my particular stove?

Of course! However, it must be in a proportional manner and not as a "sales pitch".
What this means is that you and every other purchaser has a right to place a rating/review on our special section at:
http://www.hearth.com/talk/ratings.php

However, quoted from our original forum rules, please note:
"It is against the Forum Rules to spend endless threads promoting a certain brand or product, even if you don't financially benefit from it (and, of course, if you do!)."

The reasoning is simple - if a single member has 200 posts complaining about a certain product or brand, it tends to slant the forum in a direction which may not be accurate. However, if 20 members review their stove in our ratings sections and have poor experiences, that is likely to mean a lot more. The same goes for positive reviews and posts. If a member starts a thread saying "Do you like your Upland Stove?", you are certainly free to answer in the affirmative and point to the stove review you posted. If they ask about the details how you run your Upland Stove, you should feel free to share. This is all educational as opposed to a sales pitch.

Last edited:
Reactions: webfish and bholler
So why pay for and maintain something you are not going to use?

Well, you're going to use it even if you only burn it and med or high.

Question: How long has it been since you replaced your Blaze King with a tube stove? Years?

Well, you're going to use it even if you only burn it and med or high.

Question: How long has it been since you replaced your Blaze King with a tube stove? Years?
I have never had a blazekings but I work on stoves for a living and yes I know the benefits of cat stoves with bk being the best of them. But many of us are perfectly happy with our 8 hour burn times. That works perfectly with my schedule and I see no need for more burn time. And like I said in our old house our btu load was high enough I would not use the low and slow of a cat. This house I could but I an not going to change until there is a good reason to.

Again I am not putting down bk. Just pointing out they are not the right stove for everyone.

Since brands are a problem, why not just make one?

(Just not that one.)

if you scroll through the comments, he mentions that he puts 3 wheelbarrow loads per day in that thing in the winter. o_O

I may not get 24 hour burns, but 16+ is not unreachable in shoulder season. And non-cats can be burned lower with air set on low, smaller loads, and adjusting split sizes.

If you only get 3-6 hours out of a 2.3 df firebox, you may want to check your burning habits. Something wrong with those numbers.
While i respect everyone for their input, some, the length of time you've burnt wood means nothing. Plenty of old timers burned for 50+ years, burning wet wood in an old creosote factory, thinking a good chimney fire was the way to clean it real good. Just something to think about. No particular pointing of finger here.

I believe the BK braggered section is located in the BK whatever year it is thread, please take your BS over there. Stating your likes and pluses of a particular stove is cool, but the relentless BS from the BK koolaid gang is prettyshitty, and getting very old. Can the great ones please contain the BK bulllshit to the never ending BK thread. You guys got your own permathread, please contain you asshatness to that thread.
Thanks in advance. The rest of us sub burners greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Again I am not putting down bk. Just pointing out they are not the right stove for everyone.

Oh, I know that's all you were saying. I just got the impression that you had lived with one for a while and determined the owner stories were exaggerated. But apparently not.

And to be clear, I wasn't saying they were for everyone. No stove brand will ever corner 100% of the market and they do sell for a premium, not everyone wants to spend that much. I was responding to the advice to not be "swayed too far" towards Blaze King. And my philosophical question is "How far is too far?" Because if I took that advice, I might not have purchased my Chinook 30. And I would still be in the dark never having lived with one. I've never had a perfect stove and my Chinook isn't perfect either. I don't like that the loading door only opens about 110 degrees or that the bottom corners of the glass get tarred up on low burn. But experiencing the long easy burns pretty much blew my mind. Actually, I did believe the owner accounts but reading about it is not the same as seeing it and living it.

But it IS mind-boggling how much easier it's going to be to keep my place warm and comfortable. Mostly in fewer trips to the woodpile in the cold, dark rain or slippery snow and a lot less cold starts. I'm actually disappointed that I'm going to be cutting a lot less wood because I enjoy that. But I have a couple of friends that I can bring loads of rounds to so that's not really a problem and they will be tickled to get it.

Last edited: