Need help picking a new saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jayman186

Jan 2, 2020
Long Island, NY
Hello there, I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice in picking a new chainsaw. I have a husky 450 rancher and a stihl ms192t right now. I am thinking about getting rid of the rancher and upgrading to something more powerful. I cut around 5 - 8 cords a year and am looking for a saw that will have no problem handling hardwood of say 18- 20 inches in diameter. I don’t really have a budget set at the moment because I’ll just wait and save to get the right saw. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

If you have a local dealer that is trustworthy & knowledgeable, no matter the brand that is worth a lot. Echo makes great saws & are generally priced below Stihl & Huskys. I would keep the Rancher & look into 60cc -70cc class saws. Stihl, Husky, Echo, Dolmar/Makita. 50cc saws will handle 20” bars but why work your saw like a rented mule if you don’t have to. If you buy used get a look @ the piston by removing the muffler, get a compression/vac test done on the prospective saw.

Thanks you!, I’ve been doing some research and was looking at the husky 572xp, the 562xp and the stihl ms362 but couldn’t really narrow it down, I will def take a closer look at the 562xp thank you again for the advice

Good thinking The dealer you buy it from , should at least let you hold them to compare the weight ... You can run a 24" on them, see if they will give you a full chisel chain when you buy. , some will throw in a case as well ....

Thanks you!, I’ve been doing some research and was looking at the husky 572xp, the 562xp and the stihl ms362 but couldn’t really narrow it down, I will def take a closer look at the 562xp thank you again for the advice

I have the 550xp and got a 562xp in April.. my local dealer has a sale once per season offering 20% off coming from the manufacturer.. quite a savings.. look and see if your local dealer has this also.. I was using the 562 in early June cutting some 33in rounds.. this saw cuts fast like really fast and is a joy to work with. I find both saws really comfortable

I am thinking of keeping the rancher as you guys have suggested, so I’m wondering if there is a big difference between a 50cc saw and a 60cc saw like the 562xp? I have been reading old posts and see that everyone suggests going with a pro model. I’m just unsure if I should go with a 60cc or 70cc because hopefully whatever I get will set me up for the foreseeable future to handle anything I come across

For 5-8 cords a year you would be unlikely to notice a difference in longevity between a prosumer saw (non-xp 500 series) and the xp series. Life expectancy will be more determined by the amount of maintenance you perform on the saw. That being said though power is different and all the manufacturers break down the specs on their websites.

For power you would notice a very large difference between your 450 and any of the saws you are looking at. Frankly they won't be comparable. I have a 550xp and my dad a 455 Rancher, they are more similar in specs than what you are looking at, yet my 550xp is appreciably faster than the 455.

I am thinking of keeping the rancher as you guys have suggested, so I’m wondering if there is a big difference between a 50cc saw and a 60cc saw like the 562xp? I have been reading old posts and see that everyone suggests going with a pro model. I’m just unsure if I should go with a 60cc or 70cc because hopefully whatever I get will set me up for the foreseeable future to handle anything I come across

look at the size of the trees you can cut with the 562xp...its a 60cc saw with a 20in bar that will easily cut through 33-35in tree trunks. Cutting them down to 18in rounds will require equipment to move them around if its oak or a Dense hardwood. I could buy a 70cc saw but I'm not about to play with rounds that big.... im sticking with stuff 35in and below. The 562xp is a pro saw and it fells like it.. for 60cc its not heavy, not alot of vibration, and is a workhorse that you can use all day with out tiring you out , or having the feeling that you want to put it down. You could get a 70cc saw, but do you really want to carry a bigger saw and do you really want to deal with rounds that big to make it worth having that saw..an oak round 33in x 18 in is going to weigh rough 500-600lbs ... playing with 600lb rounds is about my limit.. my helper is only 12 years old...

Reactions: D8Chumley
For 5-8 cords a year you would be unlikely to notice a difference in longevity between a prosumer saw (non-xp 500 series) and the xp series. Life expectancy will be more determined by the amount of maintenance you perform on the saw. That being said though power is different and all the manufacturers break down the specs on their websites.

For power you would notice a very large difference between your 450 and any of the saws you are looking at. Frankly they won't be comparable. I have a 550xp and my dad a 455 Rancher, they are more similar in specs than what you are looking at, yet my 550xp is appreciably faster than the 455.

the 550xp is a great saw .. its a delight to run. I keep an 18 on it and use it for the canopy of the tree to the trunk.. once I get to the trunk I pull out the big brother 562.. and let the chips fly...if you look at the last pic.. all the way in the back is my neighbors tractor with a 4.5 foot log on it.. his tractor couldn'tlift it off the ground 20200613_164029.jpg20200609_102624.jpg20200613_114403.jpg

the 550xp is a great saw .. its a delight to run. I keep an 18 on it and use it for the canopy of the tree to the trunk.. once I get to the trunk I pull out the big brother 562.. and let the chips fly...if you look at the last pic.. all the way in the back is my neighbors tractor with a 4.5 foot log on it.. his tractor couldn'tlift it off the groundView attachment 261793View attachment 261794View attachment 261795

I like my 550xp mkII as well. Mine sports a 20" bar. It's all that I need for a firewood saw. Granted the densest wood we have is white birch, and it does fine in that. It works very well on the large pine trees I like for firewood.

Hello there, I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice in picking a new chainsaw. I have a husky 450 rancher and a stihl ms192t right now. I am thinking about getting rid of the rancher and upgrading to something more powerful. I cut around 5 - 8 cords a year and am looking for a saw that will have no problem handling hardwood of say 18- 20 inches in diameter. I don’t really have a budget set at the moment because I’ll just wait and save to get the right saw. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

From personal experience I would stay away from the 562xp / 555. You can read my issues here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/husqvarna-562xp-hot-start-or-rather-not-start.181528/

The 572xp/565 has 2nd gen autotune. The non xp versions of each are detuned.

The 562xp was awesome when it worked, which was basically not in the heat after a shutdown and restart.
I now have the 565 w 20" bar. Tons of power and I use it for the same purpose as you will be.

The husqvarna 550xp has the hot start issue too. Mine is a 2018 and its temperamental starting when hot. Just make sure your dealer is able to work in the saws with autotune. It's an act of god to get our local husqvarna dealer to do anything with the autotune. I dont think he has the equipment need for it. He is an old school guy.

Reactions: Jayman186