Need help with liner, please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfjsf

Sep 29, 2010
Wash. Pa
Hey guys, A friend of mine (who at the time worked for a company that installed wood stoves) and I installed my stove last year. Ran it all winter without too much trouble except I couldnt get it to burn right when I dampered it way down. Im thinking this attributes to the fact that I dont have a liner. Im dumping off the stove into a 7 x 11 clay liner. My chimney is roughly 15 ft to termination from where the stove pipe enters. Chimney is exterior btw.

First question, will a liner help my low and slow burning issues? (basically, I had a really tough time getting the secondaries to fire off nicely, I managed a little but not much at all)

I realize for safety issues alone it is probably worth me getting a liner right?

Lastly, can you all suggest a brand or website to buy my liner from? Also, I know there a certian guages of liner to choose from, any recommendations?

Thanks all and happy shoulder season :)

That's not that tall a chimney and a large sized one to boot. Assuming your fuel source is very well seasoned, I think you have identified your problem and agree that the current chimney is too big, cools off too much, and is not providing you the strong pull that a modern epa appliance needs.

Line that and I think you'll be very happy.

Others will have to recommend where to go. There are lots of options.

pen

Thanks Pen, I always appreciate your quick responses! Yes, wood was well seasoned, so im thinking chimney was issue.

I burned one season in my basement office in the EPA Jotul F100 into an unlined 7X11 tile flue. The next September I lined it and it was like I had bought a new stove. And that was on a 33 foot flue.

Line that sucker. I would suggest a vendor or two but I did that night before last and it looks like the boss deleted it. Folks will come along with suggestions and experiences with various vendors.

Mine is the same measurement and even tho I'm freestanding, I wouldn't burn liner-less. firesidechimneysupply.com will work with you based on your needs without an up-charge. Customer service was unsurpassed.

There are some good prices on e-bay. I got 6" X 20' flexking, top plate, appliance connector $ 285.00 free shipping. Can't beat a price like that!

Insulated liner without a doubt. Keep it hot up and out especially on such a short run.

My Oslo heats my home said:
Insulated liner without a doubt. Keep it hot up and out especially on such a short run.

+1

Definitely put an insulated liner in that stove - you'll see a huge improvement in it's operation. Way back when I once had a setup much like you described. It was like BB said- a new stove in terms of the way it ran, the controllability, basically night and day. You won't regret it.

Lots of good pricing out there- it will pay to shop around comparing apples to apples to see who is the best at your time of purchase.

+1, but I don't think an insulated 6" liner will fit in a 7x11 chimney, unless you go oval. . .
Maybe go with a plain 6" liner and dump perlite around it.

I got my liner from Magnaflex. Nice quality / price / service. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.